Dark Rangers?

General Discussion
So before 8.1, while I absolutely loved the idea of a dark ranger class, I did not see it becoming feasible since you'd need an Alliance side counterpart (Demon Hunters)

But now with the resurrection of night elves could it be possible that down the line the resurrected go against their new found (and oddly placed) loyalty for the Dark Lady and return to the Alliance with their new found skills?

Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't exactly a fan of the idea of only two races getting to play a specific class, but situations like these really only make sense in that way. Unfortunately it again falls to the two same elven races as before to potentially be these new cool rangers (and to be frank, I'm okay with it, I just like variety and choices more).

The idea of opening them up to newer races could be a possibility as well, maybe? I don't know what makes a dark ranger a dark ranger, but if it's something that could be taught, then perhaps it could open up the racial potential for other hunter races. Like I said though, I don't know much on the topic of their order, or if being dead is constituted as a minimum requirement, but then again lightforged undead are a thing now as well (Alliance undead).
As interesting an idea that it is, I believe these new Dark Rangers are being introduced to fill an Undead Elf AR niche or as cosmetic options for their parent races, although a class would definitely be interesting.

Perhaps something will happen to Sylvanas down the line and there could be infighting, leading to the UD Night Elves going back to the Alliance? I think it'll be clearer with the more we see.
There are too many classes already. I still miss Warlock Metamorphosis, I don't want to lose more abilities because they have to be diluted.

How about fixing Shaman? Can pretty much make another class by doing that now, don't need a new one.
Every time I see someone say “let’s fix current classes first” or some variation of, my eyes roll so hard that my husband starts looking for an old and young priest for me.

Class balance will never happen. Your [insert broken class here] will be at the bottom from time to time.

However, Blizzard is going to add new races. They’re going to add new classes. It’s the flow of things. So, there is no harm in speculating.

Anyways, yes I think Dark Rangers will be the next class. The burning of the nelf tree was a set up for a pile of dead nelves for Sylvanas to raise. She already has a pile of dead butt elves outside Silvermoon.
I've always thought Dark Rangers would be a cool addition to the game.
Make them a mail wearing class, kind of a cross between a hunter and rogue? Races should be limited to BEs, NEs, Forsaken and Human.
I think Dark Ranger/Rangers should take the MM role from hunters and make hunters more like my namesake. Pet Dual wield small magic.

I dont think anyone could deny that Hunter were almost exclusively based on Drizzt and/or the Ranger class in general
10/12/2018 05:05 AMPosted by Hotaruu
Make them a mail wearing class, kind of a cross between a hunter and rogue? Races should be limited to BEs, NEs, Forsaken and Human.

Yeah Forsaken and Human would make sense. If they give us DR, I hope they remove Lone Wolf from Hunters so we’ll go back to being the pet class.

10/12/2018 05:08 AMPosted by Drizzi
I dont think anyone could deny that Hunter were almost exclusively based on Drizzt and/or the Ranger class in general

Kind of but not really. A lot of the devs came from EverQuest which was the father of RPGMMOs. That game was based on D&D but not any of the books based on D&D.

Anyways, Hunters borrow a lot from the Ranger class in that game. Or, they used to.
The next class is already in the game but is as of yet not available to us. Dizzy Dina, the alliance gnome I kill a lot in island expeditions, is obviously a tinker as she is a ranged class, has no pet and main abilities are bombs, bots, gadgets, (decoy thing) throw in some turrets and you pretty much have it.
10/12/2018 05:09 AMPosted by Tovi
10/12/2018 05:05 AMPosted by Hotaruu

Yeah Forsaken and Human would make sense. If they give us DR, I hope they remove Lone Wolf from Hunters so we’ll go back to being the pet class.

10/12/2018 05:08 AMPosted by Drizzi

Kind of but not really. A lot of the devs came from EverQuest which was the father of RPGMMOs. That game was based on D&D but not any of the books based on D&D.

Anyways, Hunters borrow a lot from the Ranger class in that game. Or, they used to.

I mained a Ranger in EQ and also in AD&D back in the early 80s. My class fantasy was Aragon in LoTR. When Drizzt came out, I HATED the change from a 2 hander to duel wield. When it showed up in EQ I got more used to it and was finally ok with it by WoW. Now I want to DW on my hunter.

To me, WoW Hunters took the EQ ranger and added a pet like Drizzt. Drizzt was the first Ranger I ever saw with a consistent pet.
A new ranged class would be a god send. It is getting really crowded in the melee pile of late.
While I would like a new class, I have no interest in a new ‘bow’ class. Unless it comes with Power Slide. Then I am all in.
Add Dark Rangers and Wardens and make them wear mail to make that armor type more relevant again. Although Warden look more like plate wearers...
Dark Fallens in coming
Dark Rangers are nothing but Hunters. Google them, you'll see. They're Hunters, that's it.
How about ranger class, Get rid of MM spec for hunters since it’s worthless now.

For the Ranger Class have two specs
Dark ranger
- spells and abilities based on shadow/unholy powers.
-Dots, curses and poisons
-stealth abilities

(Regular Ranger)-not sure of a creative name.
-spells and abilities fused with nature and standard archery skills
-stealth abilities
-increased haste bonuses as you attack
-powerful AoE abilities

Or just add Dark Ranger Spec to hunters as is. Make it based off MM and increased dps with out pets.
10/12/2018 07:22 AMPosted by Nighdarke
Dark Rangers are nothing but Hunters. Google them, you'll see. They're Hunters, that's it.

Paladin's are nothing but Warriors with holy magic.

Death Knights are nothing but Warriors with unholy magic.

Demon Hunters are nothing but elf Rogues with bigger "daggers" and magic in place of poison.

Monks are nothing but unarmed rogues.

Warlocks are nothing but Mages with demon magic.

Priests are nothing but mages with holy (or shadow) magic.

Shaman are nothing but Mage/Rogue depending on spec.

Druids are nothing but Rogue/Mage with animal forms.

Ranged Hunter is now almost exclusively ranged physical damage which leaves open ranged physical plus magical damage (which is already represented within the game via NPC's) using Light, Shadow, Void, Holy augmentation with unique visuals and abilities.

Hunter becomes physical with a pet.

Ranger becomes physical plus magic and no pet.

Dark Ranger via risen Night Elf NPC's as a class, thus limited to a 2nd elf only class won't happen though.
While Dark Rangers are cool we already have an all elf class.
Sylvanas Windrunner Ranger General.

Elf Archer using Nature/Druidic magic augmentations.

Sylvanas Banshee Queen (Dark Ranger).

Still an Elf Archer, now using necromancy instead of nature magic being more attuned to necromancy in Undeath.

Alleria Windrunner Elven Archer.

Same as her sister.

Alleria Windrunner Void Archer.

Still an Elf Archer, now using Void magic empowered attacks and abilities as well.

Warden.

Elf specific Rogue with unique weapon style augmented with regular Magic.

Undead Warden.

Elf specific rogue with a unique weapon augmented with necromancy.

Sentinel.

Elf again. Unique weapon again. This time ranged with Holy magic.

Undead Sentinel.

Elf, unique weapon, necromancy.
The problem with dark ranger is they only exist in the forsaken, be the way, Nathanos is a Dark ranger to.
There are NE and BE Dark Rangers in 8.1. What would make Dark Rangers unlikely is that the NE and BE already have a class exclusive to them which is Demon Hunters. How fair would it be for a race to have not 1 but 2 classes specific to them? Blizzard would have to open up Dark Rangers to Forsaken and Humans and then find a valid reason why all of the Dark Rangers aren't serving Sylvanas. They'd likely have to open up demon hunters, too.

And Blizzard tried faction specific classes. Guess what? Horde ended up getting paladins with BEs and Alliance shamans with draenei in the first expansion. Then in Cata they gave dwarves shamans and tauren paladins. Even druids got expanded in Cata to include worgens and trolls.

But what honestly makes a dark ranger valid as it's own class? It's a hunter without a pet. And hunters already fill that niche with marksman. So dark rangers use shadow magic. Blizzard could do that with hunters and appearance glyphs. So dark rangers are undead. Well, so are death knights.

That being said, a dark ranger class is likely to happen eventually. It'd probably be the class with a WotLK 2.0 expansion since we're heading that way which would then mirror the DK's intro in WotLK. But personally, I just don't see how they'd be unique enough from hunters and how Blizzard would evade not only giving NE/BE yet another class specific to them but also why they're not all serving Sylvanas. They'd have to pull another DK stunt and have them gain their own free will but start off serving under Sylvanas. It'd just repeat the DK breaking out from under the Lich King. Only difference is at the end you can continue to serve Sylvanas ... but only if you're a BE or swap to Alliance if a NE. But hey, Sylvanas is Garrosh/Arthas 2.0 at this point so dark rangers being a DK clone with their starting story wouldn't be farfetched.

It's similar to the argument for tinkers. What makes them good enough to be their own class and not gut engineering (or cause it to be removed)? But that's another thread.