Baine Bloodhoof Should be Gay and Here’s Why

Story Forum
Prev 1 18 19 20 26 Next
They can't even represent Baine as a competent leader and you want HIM to be an LGBT representative?

I think first they need to write some balls on him and THEN maybe give him a mate, no matter what gender it has.
10/19/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Mellow
Is that the Tauren way of making moves on lady Tauren? But anyway, yeah, if that's the case then that is really unfortunate that he will be less relatable to somebody, because he already pisses people off, and that's not good for a faction leader, then again he isn't the only one.
If a character being gay isn't supposed to bother anyone, why is a character being straight bothersome?
10/19/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Zaluzan
They can't even represent Baine as a competent leader and you want HIM to be an LGBT representative?

I think first they need to write some balls on him and THEN maybe give him a mate, no matter what gender it has.

So at the moment he’s a steer?
10/19/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Samurok

"Only steers and !@#$%^ come from Mulgore, Private Baine. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down."
10/19/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Treng
10/19/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Mellow
Is that the Tauren way of making moves on lady Tauren? But anyway, yeah, if that's the case then that is really unfortunate that he will be less relatable to somebody, because he already pisses people off, and that's not good for a faction leader, then again he isn't the only one.
If a character being gay isn't supposed to bother anyone, why is a character being straight bothersome?
as I explained before, defining a characters sexuality will automatically make a character more relatable to some, but less relatable to others. It doesn't make a difference which way you define it.
10/19/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Samurok

A what?
Baine should be a good character first and foremost. Who he boinks doesn't matter beyond that.
Anduin should be gay! Baine should be gay! Syl should be gay! That murloc over there should be gay!

Just stop already... Your preference isn't invalidated just because a game character isn't gay nor will it be validated by turning any character gay or even all mainstream characters gay for that matter.

Let's focus on good storyline that fits the game's lore and gameplay.

Just play the game. Leave your gender politics at the door.
10/21/2018 04:14 AMPosted by Pasarri
Anduin should be gay! Baine should be gay! Syl should be gay! That murloc over there should be gay!

Just stop already... Your preference isn't invalidated just because a game character isn't gay nor will it be validated by turning any character gay or even all mainstream characters gay for that matter.

Let's focus on good storyline that fits the game's lore and gameplay.

Not only are you misrepresenting the arguments of your opponents, but the omission of LGBT people from the story is itself a political statement. It is an unintentional one, most likely, but it is still a statement.

I’m not really understanding the pushback on the concept of having *any* increased LGBT in the game. Some people are not only against Baine being gay, but any new characters being openly homosexual. Would it ruin the game to have, like, one gay faction leader? Out of all the ones we’ve got and are getting with allied races?
Your preference isn't invalidated just because a game character isn't gay nor will it be validated by turning any character gay or even all mainstream characters gay for that matter.

Yes, we're all aware that representation seems completely inconsequential to folks who have never experienced its absence and thus take it completely for granted. Thanks for the daily reminder.

In other news, "gender politics" doesn't mean what you apparently think it does.
10/21/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Kazala
Yes, we're all aware that representation seems completely inconsequential to folks who have never experienced its absence and thus take it completely for granted. Thanks for the daily reminder.
I enjoy manga/anime while being 0% "represented" by the characters in it. If you can't handle consuming any media that doesn't look and think exactly like you, maybe you should make your own?
Baine + Lasan OTP
10/21/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
10/21/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Kazala
I enjoy manga/anime while being 0% "represented" by the characters in it. If you can't handle consuming any media that doesn't look and think exactly like you, maybe you should make your own?

How many gay people do you think Baine looks exactly like?

Edit: How many gay people have Baine Bloodhoof’s mindset, for that matter? I’m not seeing some suburban dude really matching the whole ‘young leader of an ancient tribe’ deal. I’m guessing it’s not a common homosexual thought process.
So who exactly removed most of the first page's comments then?
10/21/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
If you can't handle consuming any media that doesn't look and think exactly like you, maybe you should make your own?
Considering that I've been saturated since birth in media that tells me being a straight white male is the very essence of normal, and I'm straight, white, and male, I couldn't honestly tell you how well I would have "handled" a media diet composed entirely of disenfranchisement.

My impression is that you similarly haven't the slightest idea.

There are plenty of folks out there who will tell you how awful it is growing up LGBT in an exclusively heteronormative environment, if you're not too arrogant to listen to them.
10/21/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Grandblade
So who exactly removed most of the first page's comments then?

Huh, yeah no clue, my joking post was deleted as well. Tis’ fine honestly as it was late and it wasn’t really contributing, but it is odd.
And 19 different pages of comment.
10/21/2018 05:31 AMPosted by Yersynia

Not only are you misrepresenting the arguments of your opponents, but the omission of LGBT people from the story is itself a political statement. It is an unintentional one, most likely, but it is still a statement.

I feel this is going a tad bit too far. The omission of gay people from a story is not a political statement unless the writer wants it to be. A writer is not responsible for the readers' impressions of their work, and no writer should feel obligated to include something in their work out of fear of "sending the wrong message".

I'm all for adding more diverse characters to a work if that's what the writers want. There's no good reason not to add them. But at the same time a writer shouldn't be worried about a certain political alignment being assumed due to a lack of diversity.
They aren't "making a statement". No one is being excluded/ attacked/ or whatever. They aren't required to represent real life demographics in a fantasy setting, nor should they be.