Possible new iMacs.

Mac Technical Support
Well apple certainly failed at this. you have more wires than ever with their hardware cause you can't add anything internally

A witty response that is only accurate if you assume your usage experience represents the average consumer.
10/26/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Sededirusi
Well apple certainly failed at this. you have more wires than ever with their hardware cause you can't add anything internally

A witty response that is only accurate if you assume your usage experience represents the average consumer.

That isn't a witty response, it's the sad truth. For externals you need at least one unit plus cord per device, and that's just for bus powered devices. For those that need external power such as for PCIe chasses and drive bays, tack on another cord to clutter things up. My hackintosh can do damn near anything internally and I'm still out of available plugs on my line conditioner. Can't imagine how bad it'd be using official Apple stuff where I have to use even more outlets for the same functionality I get internally now.

That isn't a witty response, it's the sad truth.

You're missing Sed's point. You and Omegal are outliers when it comes to Mac users, as are most of us on this forum.

Most Mac users plug their machines in for power, and that's it -- and only as needed for laptop users. Wireless keyboard, wireless trackpad/mouse, wireless headphones. Most users don't have anything else they need to plug into their machines, and Apple embraces that. There was at one point an entire tab's worth of content on the 12in MacBook page about how the machine was as wireless as possible:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170520165623/https://www.apple.com/macbook/wireless/

I personally own three Macs I use on a daily to weekly basis, and the most that's ever plugged into any of them is power and an external display. Well, and a pair of DDR pads. :)
10/26/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Redux
You're missing Sed's point. You and Omegal are outliers when it comes to Mac users, as are most of us on this forum.

You're also missing point this thread is on imacs and the conversation has been about imacs. Does it say macbook pro in the topic?

I'm not talking about portable computers which people want smaller and wireless.

iMacs are DESKTOP computers that have done a crappy job with expansion cause people do need more external components for them than a standard tower would. Extra storage? external. GPU upgrade, external. And heat issues, between inferior AMD hardware and small enclosures that have poor cooling, yep imacs have those too.

It's one thing to design a laptop to be smaller and less powerful. that's the tradeoff you opt into for a mobile computer. However, they purposely gimp imacs across the board with bad design and bad expansion and fail to deliver a product that I'd rate anything higher than a D. The only purpose a new imac serves is better hackintosh compatibility when they include new hardware Ids added to macOS for newer cpus and GPUs

I actually like apple laptops, I'd like em more if they used cooler and more powerful nvidia gpus that'd work better with apple's thermals. I don't think laptops have expansion issues at all.
10/26/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Omegall
The only purpose a new imac serves is better hackintosh compatibility when they include new hardware Ids added to macOS for newer cpus and GPUs

Shows how out of touch you are. :/

A thin-as-possible iMac (and the trade-offs that come along with it) meets the needs of most iMac users, myself included.
The iMac form factor is fine. People know what they’re getting into when they buy an all-in-one.
One thing that is also important to keep in mind, is that iMacs are not and never were designed with gaming in mind. They are not and to my knowledge have never claimed to be a game computer.
10/26/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Cassio
One thing that is also important to keep in mind, is that iMacs are not and never were designed with gaming in mind. They are not and to my knowledge have never claimed to be a game computer.

It's not specifically about gaming; obviously the limitations of an AIO package apply to any high demand task, but they're still the same limitations which apply to every AIO package on the market and Apple (or any AIO manufacturer) are making claims to the contrary.

All of the possible arguments have been done and played out long before this thread so it's just not worth having the same debate again.

This thread is about new iMacs, not hypothetical ones or wish lists.
10/27/2018 01:23 AMPosted by Incaely
10/26/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Cassio

It's not specifically about gaming; obviously the limitations of an AIO package apply to any high demand task, but they're still the same limitations which apply to every AIO package on the market and Apple (or any AIO manufacturer) are making claims to the contrary.

All of the possible arguments have been done and played out long before this thread so it's just not worth having the same debate again.

I have an idea on what this thread is about, since I’m the one who made it :-)
And we’re hypothetically (Sense Apple per usual stays quiet until event day)talking about new iMacs and what new upgrades they might have, or also what we’d like to see in them.

With a little Mac mini side talk just for fun :-)
On that subject (new iMacs) I'd really like to see some improved thermal control. Obviously I'd love a bump up in the GPU but honestly... my biggest problem right now is thermal.

I'm not sure if they made any modifications between the 2014 and 2017 models of the 5K iMac. I have the former (2014) and the bottom of the screen is a long intake duct to bring in cool air, with only a small rectangle in the back for venting the hot air out. And I find it odd that this vent is directly behind the support arm for the iMac. It seems like that would impact how efficiently the iMac can discharge the air since the moment it spews out it bounces off that arm.

Even worse if you assume many users have their iMac's backside facing a wall.

It would be pretty awesome (to me) if they found a way to repeat the bottom intake on the top, as the hot air vent. Venting it from the entire length of the machine seems far more efficient, and it would be venting into an open space.

And in pure "I know this will cost me more but I don't care" I'd love color options. The iMac Pro's look appeals to me, but the base price is something I cannot justify, even though I use my iMac primarily for work.
10/27/2018 04:49 AMPosted by Cassio
10/27/2018 01:23 AMPosted by Incaely

I have an idea on what this thread is about, since I’m the one who made it :-)
And we’re hypothetically (Sense Apple per usual stays quiet until event day)talking about new iMacs and what new upgrades they might have, or also what we’d like to see in them.

With a little Mac mini side talk just for fun :-)

Sorry, I didn't intend to single your comment out specifically with that end part.

Anyway, I'd go for a regular iMac in Space Grey. I hate that the colour is limited to the iMac Pro, but I can't see that changing.
And I invite you all to join me in disappointment. The Apple Event has come and gone without a single mention of the iMac, iMac Pro, or Mac Pro.
One bomb that did drop and did not make it into the presentation:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/all-new-macbook-air-takes-flight/

Search for "Radeon Pro Vega Graphics Coming to MacBook Pro Next Month"

This is a bit of a surprise, to say the least.

Can't wait to see the thermals on that.
I noticed that with the Mac mini it looks like they incorporated the thermal technology they developed for the iMac Pro. Not sure how that compares to the more traditional cooling systems in say... the standard iMac.

But it does mean that they are willing to bring that tech over to their other models. So maybe if they ever DO update the iMac...
The iMac Pro is less than a year old. WIth no mention of the iMac, I suspect that they'll probably release the iMac and iMac Pro together. We also already knew that the Mac Pro was a 2019 product.

The Mac Mini would have been perfect for me if it weren't for the integrated graphics and no dedicated option. The more that I think about it, it looks like I should probably just wait for the next 5k iMac, which hopefully is sooner rather than later.

They probably didn't want to announce the Mini and iMac together since people would quickly figure out that the dedicated GPU in the 5K iMac is a lot better than the integrated one in the Mini.
10/30/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Sagerremeseb

It’s probably one of the Kaby Lake G chips with Vega on the die
10/30/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Rosaelliia
The Mac Mini would have been perfect for me if it weren't for the integrated graphics and no dedicated option. The more that I think about it, it looks like I should probably just wait for the next 5k iMac, which hopefully is sooner rather than later.

Right? When I saw the Mini specs I was excited and about to have a conversation with my boss about the benefits of flipping from iMac to Mini. A display would likely stay viable across upgrades so we'd be saving money over time. But that graphics card killed it for me. I also assume that RAM upgrades won't be as easy as they are with an iMac and I don't relish the idea of paying Apple's over-the-top prices for memory when I can buy the same from Crucial for a 3rd of the cost.
10/30/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Incaely
10/30/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Sagerremeseb

It’s probably one of the Kaby Lake G chips with Vega on the die

Allegedly it's a Vega 16 or Vega 20 with 4 GB, discreet graphics. Mobile chips in any event -- I have no idea if they are any good.
Blackmagic wants to sell a Vega 56 (which you can find for 400-450 dollars) eGPU for $1199. So they're somehow pricing the enclosure at 750-800 dollars, which you can never upgrade. Lord have mercy.