Possible new iMacs.

Mac Technical Support
10/30/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Ryegeleye
Blackmagic wants to sell a Vega 56 (which you can find for 400-450 dollars) eGPU for $1199. So they're somehow pricing the enclosure at 750-800 dollars, which you can never upgrade. Lord have mercy.

All the more egregious when there are companies selling eGPU enclosures (for whatever GPU you want to stuff in it) for $300. With the exact same Thunderbolt support: https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node

I wonder how well it works.
Blackmagic wants to sell a Vega 56 (which you can find for 400-450 dollars) eGPU for $1199. So they're somehow pricing the enclosure at 750-800 dollars, which you can never upgrade. Lord have mercy.

BMD have always been a garbage company with rushed products and shonky pricing. The 580 eGPU demonstrated this to me, but this Vega 56 pricing is just beyond lol
10/30/2018 02:10 PMPosted by Incaely

BMD have always been a garbage company with rushed products and shonky pricing. The 580 eGPU demonstrated this to me, but this Vega 56 pricing is just beyond lol

The 580 enclosure from BMD was on the high side of price for sure. Never being able to change out the card was a deal breaker for me, but I know it wasn't for others. A purchase of one wasn't totally crazy. But this new one? Phew.
Something we all missed from the event was that Divinity Original Sin 2 is coming to Mac early next year.

It was just teased as a single screenshot during the announcement of the new Macbook Air!
10/30/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Incaely
Something we all missed from the event was that Divinity Original Sin 2 is coming to Mac early next year.

It was just teased as a single screenshot during the announcement of the new Macbook Air!

Question is how badly will it run? :P
Hopefully well enough that we don't roll our eyes upon learning that Apple's internal Metal engineering team assisted with the port (which is allegedly happening).