Blizzard, Please Explain, "You think you do..."

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Blizzard, please explain, "You think you do, but you don't."

When did you figure out how to read minds?

Why does your opinion matter more in my life than mine? I truly hope you are prepared to see that people offer feedback to improve the game. Yes, not all of it is worded well.

All of my and apparently many other constructive criticism is so heavily roasted by comments so toxic that nearly all of the actually trying to help threads just die.

So, by all means, Blizzard.

You claim, "You think you do, but you don't."

Do please explain. Your attitude as a company is affecting your bottom line. I and apparently so many others are trying to help you see that said affect is coming from your current design paradigm. Feedback to improve the game is amazingly common throughout this subforum.

Why are you so utterly convinced your vision of this game is totally infallible? One can know a thing and know it wrong.

Why?

Why do I not know how to think for myself?

I'll wait.

I'm also not holding my breath.
This quote is taken out of context so often it hurts my soul.

While I agree the exact word choice of "you think you do" is inflammatory, it was response given to someone asking for classic servers at a panel. The intent behind the quote, and what he goes on to contextualize further his answer, was something more along the lines of, "what you're telling me you want and what you are asking for are not the same thing." I think he also bundled in what the cost of obtaining such a server would be at the time but since then Blizzard has re-evaluated what that cost would be. Part of the reason Classic is happening is because the man-hours required to make it work are now estimated to be much lower than originally thought.

It wasn't meant as a command that players only ever accept what Blizzard offers them with a smile on their face, it was an observation that players are generally very good at finding problems or criticisms, but very bad at finding solutions to address those same criticisms. Something that remains true even today.
10/31/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Turgin

Here's what we know based on literally decades of research - people can only adequately report on their past experiences. That is, you are right when you say .. "I liked/didn't like this."

Where there's major deviation is in predicting future enjoyment. The reason for that, again backed up by decades of psychology, is that experience is highly impacted by external factors like reference points. "Good" is a relative term; something cannot be "good" unless its compared to something else.

The second part is that players tend to be myopic in their ideas. Its forest/trees problem. Players focus on trees, they don't always understand how the trees compose the forest.
Why are you so utterly convinced your vision of this game is totally infallible?

What makes you think yours is better?

Here's what we know based on literally decades of research - people can only adequately report on their past experiences. That is, you are right when you say .. "I liked/didn't like this."

Where there's major deviation is in predicting future enjoyment. The reason for that, again backed up by decades of psychology, is that experience is highly impacted by external factors like reference points. "Good" is a relative term; something cannot be "good" unless its compared to something else.

The second part is that players tend to be myopic in their ideas. Its forest/trees problem. Players focus on trees, they don't always understand how the trees compose the forest.

Legion was good and BFA is trash. There you go, I compared two things.

I also understand the forest of Azerite and how it hurts the trees of multiple other game systems in Blizzard's vain attempt to actually try and get this garbage forced down our throats. I understand that it can't be removed except through an entirely new expansion but I also know that they sure did cut down a lot of old growth forest just to replant some scrawny pines in its place.
This is a really old meme man. I mean the dude that made this comment might not even work at Blizzard anymore.
Just wait until "Classic" is EXACTLY like Vanilla, then totally fails and people hate it.

<Blizzard Boss Dude Guy>"I thought you didn't, and you didn't."
I was going to explain how completely out of context and over-referenced this quote is at this point... but two people seem to have beat me to it. Please stop regurgitating what you see others spewing OP. It's tiresome.

#thecustomerisrarelyright
"You think you want me to explain, but you don't"

It was a condescending remark, and he should've been yanked off stage right then and there, and subsequently dressed down.

Boy howdy, I hope two things for Classic servers. One, that they are a resounding success, and two, based on that success, the suits call in the various Devs and ask them in no uncertain terms:

"You told us this server was going to fail. It has not, and is in fact going gangbusters. What else have you told us over the years that is wrong?"
10/31/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Panamos
This is a really old meme man. I mean the dude that made this comment might not even work at Blizzard anymore.

The guy that said it is the one that was just promoted to Mike Morhaime's position when he stepped down.

On topic, can we please stop taking a years old comment way out of context? Thanks.
11/01/2018 03:21 AMPosted by Meritha
10/31/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Panamos

The guy that said it is the one that was just promoted to Mike Morhaime's position when he stepped down.

I think the poster knew that, being facetious.
11/01/2018 03:25 AMPosted by Kypookins
I think the poster knew that, being facetious.

Ah perhaps. It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.
10/31/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Mvura

All of your post could also apply to the devs and their perspective on the game. Which is why we have such huge problems, because no contrary information ever enters their bubble.
You think you want Blizzard to explain, but you don't...
Imagine still being mad over something someone said 6-7 years ago, even after that person has admitted to having been wrong.
"We think we want them to deliver the game they promised, but they don't"

Fixed it for you...
11/01/2018 03:42 AMPosted by Jamesfisk
"We think we want them to deliver the game they promised, but they don't"

Fixed it for you...

No. No you didn't.
10/31/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Reshyk
While I agree the exact word choice of "you think you do" is inflammatory, it was response given to someone asking for classic servers at a panel.

And yet, we're getting Classic servers. So... we think we do, and we did? lol
This kind of thing is unnecessary. It was years ago. Yes, Brack made a mistake. He phrased something wrong. And he did it in a condescending manner, despite as he went further in his answer. This is old news. Not something worth bringing up.
Yeah blizzard! You should explain yourself for this out of context line I keep seeing from uh... 4 or so years ago!