Is there any downside to cross-faction chat/grouping/PvE?

General Discussion
For everyone who has warmode disabled, isolating players into the two factions serves no purpose besides cutting player interaction in half. What's the harm in letting PvE'ers play together across factions? We're doing exactly the same content. This is an MMO, right?

In the lore, horde and alliance NPC's can freely communicate with each other, and players ingame can talk to NPC's from the opposite faction...yet alliance and horde players can't talk/group. This makes no sense no matter how you look at it. Lore or gameplay.

Factions should be more about allegiance and values, not just picking a race and then finding yourself locked-away from half the playerbase in every aspect.
The downside is mostly just people REEEEing about it. There's no reason a modern MMO should be split in half like this, at least for PvE.
They could go the way of EQ , which allowed all races to group together. Reguardless of the factions , even raid together.
You can't group but when I've got WM off I regularly jump right in on Horde kills of world bosses, elites, quest mobs, etc. Faction tagging only seems to be in effect for those who are in certain groups or perhaps mixed WM and non-WM.

As for communication, there's all sorts of non-in game methods that let folks communicate and, IIRC, if you're battletag friends you can whisper cross-faction.

AFAIC, they could allow grouping for non-WM groups in expansions like Legion or Wrath, where it makes sense based on the in-game lore of the time, if you're not PvP flagged. But I dunno about this one. The whole PvE/non-WM mechanic is a construct that has to do with gameplay mechanic rather than anything to do with the story or RP or anything. Maybe they could just err on the side of not caring if it's not an RP realm.
11/06/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Diana
when I've got WM off I regularly jump right in on Horde kills of world bosses, elites, quest mobs, etc.
I mean that just further shows that when you've got WM off, the factions become irrelevant.
11/06/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Diana
or perhaps mixed WM and non-WM.
WM and non-WM will never see each other in open world, even if they are grouped. They'll always be placed in separate shards.
It becomes clear when you're trying summon people to a mythic, but can't see each other at the stone :P
11/06/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Wintel
WM and non-WM will never see each other in open world, even if they are grouped. They'll always be placed in separate shards.
It becomes clear when you're trying summon people to a mythic, but can't see each other at the stone :P

I see WM people all the time when I've got WM off, and I saw non-WM folks when I had WM on.
11/06/2018 08:04 PMPosted by Wintel
Factions should
not exist only races should exist.
Sry, I like my WM buff too much to take it off :(
Factions really don't make sense anymore, and they haven't since Siege of Orgrimmar, if not earlier. With all the world-ending, soul-eating, apocalypse-causing monstrosities we've either dealt with or heard of, the only real thing to be worried about is that players (and people in general) hate change.
in vanilla beta we could talk too the horde and they us, it was some massive insults and cussing like sailors blizz removed the ability or bug fast.
11/06/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Diana
I saw non-WM folks when I had WM on.

What? Did you have the option to attack them?
There are some instances where peoples competitive natures just get the better of them. In those instances you probably don't need or want to hear what they have to say.
I see WM people all the time when I've got WM off, and I saw non-WM folks when I had WM on.

Someone being flagged does not necessarily mean that they're in War Mode.
Also, standing around in Stormwind or Orgrimmar will have both War Mode and non-War Mode players phased together.

They probably were not on warmode, but with /pvp activated. In that case you can still see them and attack them - IF you /pvp too.
11/06/2018 09:08 PMPosted by Màteus
Factions really don't make sense anymore, and they haven't since Siege of Orgrimmar, if not earlier. With all the world-ending, soul-eating, apocalypse-causing monstrosities we've either dealt with or heard of, the only real thing to be worried about is that players (and people in general) hate change.

Actually, as a reflection of the world we live in they make perfect sense. Hurtling towards total destruction people will still cling to their petty dogmas, want for a bigger piece of pie, hate for others, even if this hastens their own demise.
An idea I had a few weeks ago was that after the war is over we could get the option to go to our embassy and agree to work with the opposite faction. For lack of a better term let's call it Friendship Mode, and with that on you would not be able to engage in any PvP activities of any kind. Guards for both factions would be friendly and unattackable, you couldn't raid faction cities, etc. On the flip side, you would not be able to complete any quest that involves killing NPCs of either faction as faction allied mobs would also be friendly. I think something like this could be a good way to enable cross-faction grouping, raiding, and events without impacting faction pride that much. Cross faction Mythic Raids should only be enabled once cross-server Mythic Raids become available.
11/06/2018 10:16 PMPosted by Shirubia
They probably were not on warmode, but with /pvp activated. In that case you can still see them and attack them - IF you /pvp too.

Interesting. I saw nothing in the docs that mention this distinction but now that I've searched for the two of them together (which, why would I even think that was "a thing"?) I see the distinction between the two. It reinforces the idea that we all play on PvE servers now and that WM actually is something more than just marketing and spin.

The bonus still isn't worth the experience most of the time.
11/06/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Amarlly
et's call it Friendship Mode, and with that on you would not be able to engage in any PvP activities of any kind
I feel that instanced PvP should always have a place in the game. Factions can be maintained there to provide a sense of friendly rivalry. It's going to be pretty weird having to redesign AV, WSG, etc to not be about factions anymore. The mercenary system works fine for that.
Given they've already lifted communication restrictions for certain races and things like the CrossRP addon exist, the excuse for keeping things separated is becoming less and less valid.

Allowing cross faction grouping while not in warmode would be a bigger step than opening communication, but tbh it's needed to invalidate the whole "alliance are casuals horde is hardcore" thing, so no one is missing out on opportunities because they chose the "wrong" faction based on friends or aesthetics.

There is no other way to magically "balance the factions" in regards to things like Warmode participation and # of serious raiding guilds. No amount of incentive will take people away from Horde and it's gigantic recruitment pool and WPvP advantage without outright breaking the game. So let us play with our friends. Warmode would keep it how it is now for those who are really into that fantasy.