Why not fix classes?

Tides of Vengeance PTR General Discussion
11/14/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Aniki
That’s the thing, BfA “was” supposed to fix Legion’s mistakes and it’s turned out horribly.

The problem with the artifact weapons was primarily one of being locked into a spec because each weapon needed to be leveled individually. So they had us level a neck, instead, which would be cross spec. Problem solved.

Only THEN they implemented this godawful RNG fest that is azerite gear, and deliberately did not set the gear to change specs with us. So now instead of a quantifiable goal of "I need to farm this much AP for my off spec weapon" we have "I need to hope I get lucky and get the piece I want, and then hope I get lucky and get an upgrade for it, and there's no effective means of farming for it."

So sure, we're leveling up one neck instead of up to four weapons...but because the design calls for us to farm up multiple sets of gear for each spec - remember, reforging is not supposed to be the solution, that's why the cost scales so quickly - things are actually worse.

Even if I didn't think the rental abilities philosophy was flawed to the core, I would question what, exactly, they're trying to achieve. Because they solved the issue with artifact weapons and changing specs, and in the very same system, introduced an even BIGGER gearing issue for players.
11/14/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Hardwire
The problem with the artifact weapons was primarily one of being locked into a spec because each weapon needed to be leveled individually.

If we're looking solely the artifact system, then yes this is true. If we zoom out, it's part of a much larger problem. Artifacts in and of themselves were not a bad idea, it was implemented badly and they pruned us to do it.

Even if I didn't think the rental abilities philosophy was flawed to the core, I would question what, exactly, they're trying to achieve.

I agree, I had the exact same thought in Legion. I know some people had fun, but pruning classes down to practically nothing only to then give them a consolation prize in artifacts/legendaries felt horrible. A rental gear system wouldn't feel as bad if we had fleshed out classes and the system was built to enhance rather than fill in gaping holes.

Only THEN they implemented this godawful RNG fest that is azerite gear, and deliberately did not set the gear to change specs with us. So now instead of a quantifiable goal of "I need to farm this much AP for my off spec weapon" we have "I need to hope I get lucky and get the piece I want, and then hope I get lucky and get an upgrade for it, and there's no effective means of farming for it."

So sure, we're leveling up one neck instead of up to four weapons...but because the design calls for us to farm up multiple sets of gear for each spec - remember, reforging is not supposed to be the solution, that's why the cost scales so quickly - things are actually worse.

It's kind of impressive that azerite is even worse than artifacts, I'm disheartened by it. Azerite gear really is NLC 2.0 but worse. We lost Abilities/class identity to get artifacts/legendaries. We lost all of that, plus additional pruning, didn't get new abilities or talents, and tier sets for azerite gear.

I didn't believe them for one second when they said they had learned from Legion and would fix it in BfA. Legion broke that trust. BfA feels like a natural continuation of "listening" to our feedback and going in the opposite direction. We had tons of threads in WoD about random loot boxes from Ashran and how everyone abhorred it, now look where we are. People railed against the pruning in WoD and look where we are. People disliked the amount of RNG in Legion and look where we are. They don't care about the players anymore, we're just dollar signs now.
Even if I didn't think the rental abilities philosophy was flawed to the core, I would question what, exactly, they're trying to achieve. Because they solved the issue with artifact weapons and changing specs, and in the very same system, introduced an even BIGGER gearing issue for players.

Thinking on it I get the feeling they either do not understand the game at all which is a silly thought or one hand didn't know what the other hand was doing.

Heck their is a check list of problems with the system they have implemented and very very very few even try to defend it and at best they use the line poorly implemented.

One group did the azerite system another group did how loot works? But even then that is stretching things but given the current state of affairs one wonders who on earth is in charge over there and why aren't we getting things fixed in a realistic manner.

An easy example of what I am talking about is Blood Death Knights. That should of been fixed awhile ago. The issues are clear cut the community knows and the amount of data that highlights it is frankly impossible to ignore.

Yet...... We have to wait for 8.1 to maybe see something to fix this issue.

I can't honestly figure out what on earth they were actually aiming for heck I will also toss into your current point which I agree with entirely the who rep is tied to your neck piece. Why on earth would you do that? To further punish those who play alts for ZERO reason.

They should know people like alts. So not only did they mess up multi speccing they dumped on people making alts. ( Yes they are addressing it in 8.1 I think) But the fact that it was even a thing is mind blowing.

Also I would toss you more then one up vote if I could
Why not?

How are you going to make money selling character boosts if everyone is happy with their class and not re-rolling FoTM characters to keep up. It's the Zanga business model, intentionally make a good game !@#$y so you can sell the tools to make it bearable.
11/15/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Thequixote
Why not?

How are you going to make money selling character boosts if everyone is happy with their class and not re-rolling FoTM characters to keep up. It's the Zanga business model, intentionally make a good game !@#$y so you can sell the tools to make it bearable.

That isn't going to work.

A ton of people are waiting on 8.1 to see what it offers. If it offers nothing. Fully expect an exodus.

No joke. If 8.1 isn't godlike consider this game in a ton of trouble.