Disc Uldir? Is it worth going holy?

Priest
I feel like I have to put 200% more effort into my rotation and healing (as disc) just to barely make the HPS needed not to be bothered by people about my heals.

When it comes to PvP content , I feel comfy and my heals are great.

I don't understand what I need to do to get geared enough to heal heroic uldir as Disc comfortably or even at the top of the HPS.

Ive double checked my rotation on the meta raid info websites and youtube channels , I understand the mechanics behind placing Atonement preemptively, etc.

Point being I understand my class.However is there something wrong with it or is it my Ilevel? Am I expecting too much from disc or what?
Might be the azerite traits and if you have uldir azerite armor, it gives you a big intellect boost and haste/crit buff.
Some fights just favor the way Holy handles healing vs how Disc does, particularly in the harder difficulties.

If the fight has easily predicable chunks of damage - disc is the way to go
If the fight has sporadic random bits of damage here and there - holy is probably the right choice

That said - remember that unless the raid is dying HPS doesn't matter that much(some exceptions apply, but they are rare). If you NEED to be the top of a meter swap your reports to damage absorbed. Remember, that chart only counts actual damage absorbed and not the total potential amount absorbed.
I go back and forth. For whatever reason, if there is minimal movement and adds (Taloc, Mother), I'll stick to disc to burn down the boss. For fights like Zek, I'll switch to holy and smash Binding Heal.
You haven't posted numbers, but I'm guessing you're comparing yourself to OP resto druids and holy priest numbers. You will never top healing meters on boss fights as disc with a holy priest / mw / rdruid in your group. Trust in the utility you're providing which is added DPS and a ton of mitigation. If you wanna see big numbers go holy or re-roll resto druid and bind half your keyboard to tranquility.

If you truly want to question your purpose in life, try raiding as resto shaman.
11/08/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Poncia
You will never top healing meters on boss fights as disc with a holy priest / mw / rdruid in your group.

Just simply not true. I routinely out-heal/HPS the Holy and MW in my raid group with ilvl at parity.

@ OP, do you perhaps have some logs we can peek at and see what's going on?

~Lil
You haven't posted numbers, but I'm guessing you're comparing yourself to OP resto druids and holy priest numbers. You will never top healing meters on boss fights as disc with a holy priest / mw / rdruid in your group. Trust in the utility you're providing which is added DPS and a ton of mitigation. If you wanna see big numbers go holy or re-roll resto druid and bind half your keyboard to tranquility.

If you truly want to question your purpose in life, try raiding as resto shaman.

You must be playing with a bad disc.
you're comparing yourself to OP resto druids and holy priest numbers. You will never top healing meters on boss fights as disc with a holy priest / mw / rdruid in your group.

That's not true at all, Disc is actually the one that is OP if played right, not on all fights but many of the Uldir fights (specially in Mythic) favor Disc's healing profile.

Very large groups would favor other healers over Disc ofc since the amount of atonements you can put out is limited vs for example Tranq or Salvation who hit everybody. But Disc is actually getting nerfs next patch because it's simply too powerful at the higher level when played correctly.

@OP there could be many reasons why your healing is low so would be very useful to have some logs to look at otherwise we can't help you very much to figure it out.
11/08/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Holymonky
you're comparing yourself to OP resto druids and holy priest numbers. You will never top healing meters on boss fights as disc with a holy priest / mw / rdruid in your group.

That's not true at all, Disc is actually the one that is OP if played right, not on all fights but many of the Uldir fights (specially in Mythic) favor Disc's healing profile.

[/quote]

I admittedly run with a ilvl 360 disc in our guild--no Mythic experience yet just heroic Uldir. MW and rduids in our heroic uldir runs do 20-24k hps. I honestly couldn't imagine Disc doing more than that, but if what you guys are saying is true I'm excited to see it.
I was only able to find logs of 5 fights. Two of them you did decent for your ilvl, two you died (don't do that), and the last one you didn't properly setup your burst. On Vectis, you hardly touched Penance, never used Shadow Mend (normally correct, but on Vectis it's good during the Liquify phase), and never got more than 11 people in a burst. You seem to be throwing shields out at random instead of specifically on Omega Vector targets, which is where they'll do the most good. A large part of Disc is knowing the fights well, knowing what are priority targets and priority burst periods. You should focus on covering Contagion casts, covering Omega Vectors, and everything else is secondary.

You will never top healing meters on boss fights as disc with a holy priest / mw / rdruid in your group.

I know several people have said this, but yeah, that's not true. I regularly outheal all of those while having a lower ilvl. You can't project for all Discs based off the one in your group.

I admittedly run with a ilvl 360 disc in our guild--no Mythic experience yet just heroic Uldir. MW and rduids in our heroic uldir runs do 20-24k hps. I honestly couldn't imagine Disc doing more than that, but if what you guys are saying is true I'm excited to see it.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q2bFy9n4x6TK8JMw#fight=30&type=healing
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FZyLcjW7BmDabg6K#fight=18&type=healing
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fwkqQZt7Ppv6bFWV#fight=24&type=healing

There you go!

~Lil
11/08/2018 09:54 AMPosted by Poncia

There are some fights in Heroic where I tend to swap to Holy (only a few of them) because I feel there's not enough burst AOE happening often enough to fully take advantage of Disc's kit and we can just cover any spike with a regular Raid CD so I rather go for better spot healing as Holy. Disc can still perform well on meters in those fights but I feel the spiky healing model is less useful there than consistent healing with strong but long CDs.

For Mythic however you usually get much more spike AOE damage happening very often so Disc kit and healing model works wonders.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Not a fair comparison but...

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/id/22906035?mode=detailed&zone=19#difficulty=4
Ultimately, I think it depends on your group.

I heal for a mostly casual heroic raid with a lot of low DPS who fail at mechanics.

That means we need a lot of spot healing and a lot of throughput, and it's great if we can 3-heal a raid of 17 or so, so we can bring another DPS.

So I go holy for raiding, because it's easier than having to rely on other healers to pick up for Disc's very few weak spots, like spot heals.

But M+, I disc all the way.

If you have a better raid group, disc will look better.

Lol, so sad. I used to main a resto shaman before the WoD healing changes. I was able to 2 heal heroic garrosh, those were the golden days for resto shamans.
There's a few fights off the top of my head that Disc isn't great at, but never so bad that you're a hindrance to your raid.

Vectis's intermission phase sucks for us, but you can set up a burst heal after Contagion on Vectis so it's not all bad. Zek'voz also doesn't feel great to me? There's no real burst damage on that fight (on Heroic at least, haven't done it on Mythic). Maybe if your guild is messing up mechanics and spawning guardians you'll have more to do, but it's mostly a tickle fight.
You can go holy if you want, but disc can be super overpowered. You need to log your fights if you want us to be able to tell you what you need to improve on.

warcraftlogs.com.

You have a few normal logs, but no heroic logs.
11/08/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Holymonky

I admittedly run with a ilvl 360 disc in our guild--no Mythic experience yet just heroic Uldir. MW and rduids in our heroic uldir runs do 20-24k hps. I honestly couldn't imagine Disc doing more than that, but if what you guys are saying is true I'm excited to see it.[/quote]

I was pulling these numbers as Disc at 345. Disc has a high skill ceiling but can very easily top meters in the hands of a skilled player. I am in a casual guild and we 4 heal fights we should be 2-3 healing. I finish way ahead of the others in those situations because I set up atonement early and get the healing first. Yes, it is a bit harder to play. It is not nearly as hard as you painting it to be.