When will Surname be a thing?

General Discussion
As long as it's not mandatory. But the ticket increase will be $.
11/11/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Shadøw
C'mon Blizzard, let us give our characters a last name.

I deem thee 'Shadøw Fartknocker'.

You're welcome.
11/11/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Crepe
This is one of those subjects that have had a host of reasons why or why not bandied about on the forums over the years. Most of the "why not" has centered around the idea that we'd use the system for ever more inappropriate character names.

But honestly I just think the database wasn't built with the space to have them back in the day.

Could they do it? Most probably.

Inappropriate?

"Salty" Saggy Meatflute is more than an appropriate use of that feature!
11/11/2018 09:35 AMPosted by Byucknah
I'd love Surnames to be honest~ That would be a real delight to have in terms of character customized.

Couldn't agree more
Download an RP addon. Surnames supported.
I'd really like this as well. There's always people who will make inappropriate names, but that's what the report feature is for, or filters built in to prevent them. Not everyone wants to be Tigol Bitties, I just want a last name.
Trogdor TheBurninator
11/11/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Suhuy
I'd really like this as well. There's always people who will make inappropriate names, but that's what the report feature is for, or filters built in to prevent them. Not everyone wants to be Tigol Bitties, I just want a last name.

fun police detected
11/11/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Shadøw
C'mon Blizzard, let us give our characters a last name.

Feature in Patch 9.0.3 -

Surnames are now available. You can choose from a list of racially approved surnames for your character. There are an average of 10 surnames per Alliance race and 12 surnames per Horde race to choose from.
Our servers are basically our surnames.
11/11/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Porschea
Having played games that allow for surnames like FFXIV and WildStar, I could really take it or leave it.

SWTOR has it as their Legacy system too, the way SWTOR does it is pretty cool since you make it on your main. Then every alt you create next is under that legacy name, so your friends know who you are :).

Just in general though, it's sort of meh. It doesn't bother me if we have it or not. I would prefer if we don't have it in WoW, cause if we have it you need to think of surnames for all your alts :S.
If they mass merge servers they might use surnames to keep unique names.

But I seriously doubt that will happen since I think it would take a couple expansions to transition.
SWTOR Legacy names did it right, imo. It helps discourage picking a random crappy name as it is the only one you'll ever get to use on all your toons. You can choose to not display your legacy name and just have a title if you want.
I'm making mine "Island"
I can see it now...

Scruit Bigtime
11/11/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Farora
Our servers are basically our surnames.

That's a big family. Catholic I guess.
I really do not have a maiden name to be honest.

Perhaps clever use a title? Lady Chryous? No...

Dark Lady Chryous? Maybe...

That's it! True Dark Lady Chryous!

(Edited): I am just kidding it's Sylissa Vhairith.
If you want a surname, download TRP 3. It lets you set up surnames and a bunch of other information.

As far as Blizzard bringing it forth though, I wouldn't want it because then people are gonna screw it up for the rest of us by making Blizz have to police it overbearingly so.
11/11/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Pnz
11/11/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Porschea
Having played games that allow for surnames like FFXIV and WildStar, I could really take it or leave it.

Everquest 1999 - had surnames.

Yup. Hell, SWTOR has a whole family tree!