Sorry but mobile gaming is the future

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
Face it, we're at that point.

Like our parents looked at video games and didn't get the appeal, and thought it was just a fad for kids- we're looking at phones the same way- but in thirty years phones will be the norm, and people will be making fun of us old folks for playing video games like it's bingo night or knitting.
Mobile Wow: play for an hour charge battery rinse repeat
PC WoW: play unlimited
11/11/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Brocknor
I just upgraded my PC monitor from a 27" to a 29" ... and you think you're going to recreate that experience on a device that is limited to about 7 watts of power and a 6" screen?

yeah..I just put TWO 27" monitors on my desktop last week or so specifically for PLaying WoW. Got nice ones that look the same no matter what angle youre viewing them from.

Try to force me to play on ANY device other than my desktop and there are literally thousands of other games out there that I'll be more than happy to play and give my sub money to.
I don't get the mobile gaming thing personally. If I'm not at home and don't have free time, I don't play video games. Why people would want to mix the two things is beyond me.

Hiking? Why the hell would you want to look at your phone?
Working? Unless you're lazy and stealing time, why would you be on your phone?
Spending time with friends? Phone?!
Drinking at a bar.. Phone again?!
Driving.. don't get me started.

Why on earth would anyone want to play video games rather than focus on what they're doing? Does everyone have ADHD now?
Well, think about this for a minute. Say WoW does go to phones. Ok...I think its a given that subscriptions are going to be gone on that one, who wants to play a mobile phone game and pay a subscription for doing so?

So, how does Blizz make its money, then? Micro transactions. Candy Crush is bringing in money like there's no tomorrow.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/04/20/heres-activision-blizzards-4-biggest-franchises.aspx

Also, this...why do you think the company is coming out with mobile games? They know where their money is coming from.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/02/09/activision-blizzard-made-4-billion-microtransactions-2017-half-revenue/

So, if you want to pay rl money for that piece of armor that makes you competitive, be my guest. I'll head somewhere else, where I *don't* have to pay to win, so to speak. Because I choose to be a customer, not a micro transaction.
11/11/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Sathyrx
i find myself playing mobile more than anything else these days, yes even wow.

Most of us have busy lives and the mobile games compliment that life style.

When i get home im usually getting ready for bed, or have other obligations. Its rare i can sit down in front of my laptop and get in some dungeons or raiding anymore. If it wasnt for the level boost i prbably wouldnt even be playing this game.

I can understand the logic around the new diablo mobile game. This is the way things are going now.

Uh, no
11/11/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Wyler
I feel both strange and old for being upset that people spend so much time on their phones, and that my PC is becoming a relic (apparently?).

It's not. Though the pace of mobile growth will be far greater, PC gaming is projected to continue growing as well.
no the the future its just the money they are all dying to get.blizzard and microsoft both want that microtransaction money so bad they both are ignoring their player base.

the thing is they blizzard and microsoft dont get it. they dont have the game people want and are trying desperately to find the cash cow game with their named ips.it wont work.

do i want to play diablo immortal at work?..no id get fired.do i want to play diablo immortal on the toilet?...no.

blizzard and microsoft desperately want that fortnight and candy crush money but dont have the games to get it.
11/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Laurethelas

Like our parents looked at video games and didn't get the appeal, and thought it was just a fad for kids- we're looking at phones the same way- but in thirty years phones will be the norm, and people will be making fun of us old folks for playing video games like it's bingo night or knitting.
Who cares?
Im not at the point where Im willing to play a game on a cell phone or tablet.
Tried it, hated it, wont do it again for THIS game or any other.
And please...Ive been hearing this same nonsense for a long while now.
Someone was saying years ago that Desktops were dying.
Little clue...theyre as strong now as theyve ever been and they arent going anywhere.
Blizzard can make the right choice and appeal to a broad base of paying customers..
Or like hundreds of other bankrupt companies they can appeal to a small base that is as fickle as my ex wife trying to decide what shoes she wants to buy.

My guess is Blizzard isnt dumb enough to migrate WoW to small devices only.
11/11/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Sathyrx
i find myself playing mobile more than anything else these days, yes even wow.

Most of us have busy lives and the mobile games compliment that life style.

When i get home im usually getting ready for bed, or have other obligations. Its rare i can sit down in front of my laptop and get in some dungeons or raiding anymore. If it wasnt for the level boost i prbably wouldnt even be playing this game.

I can understand the logic around the new diablo mobile game. This is the way things are going now.

You're some boosted trashcan, no one cares what you think
I have no interest in playing an MMO on tiny !@# screen.
11/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Laurethelas

I don't know if it's that way quite yet. Remember that VR thing for gameboy years ago? I mean there are VR games out there. Games of the future and all that. It's not as popular as I thought it would be though.

The young kids I know like one of my nieces play minecraft on their computers and nerd out on build videos and stuff. She's only like 13 and she doesn't really play games on her phone.
Nope. Mobile is OK for a little gaming on the side and that's it.

The fact that you have no time for videogames and hence «find [yourself] playing mobile more than anything else these days» is not indicative of the future of gaming in the slightest.
There is a lot of money in mobile gaming. It is more than a niche thing. If anything PC gaming is niche as it is the smallest market in gaming with mobile gaming being larger than PC and console combined.

Also, people should look at the specs on the newest tablets. I am willing to bet they are as powerful many of the pcs people are gaming on here.
There was a time when gaming wasn't a victim of corporate greed. The Dark Age is upon us.
11/11/2018 03:24 PMPosted by Sharaesdel
So, if you want to pay rl money for that piece of armor that makes you competitive, be my guest. I'll head somewhere else, where I *don't* have to pay to win, so to speak. Because I choose to be a customer, not a micro transaction.

Aren't things like race changes and boosts considered to be a micro transaction? I've spent well over $1,000 on stuff like that, maybe closer to 2k over the years. I get some weird joy out of changing races after a few months and changing up my mogs and stuff to go with it. Especially my hunter. Collecting new pets and looks to compliment my race is almost like having a fresh toon.

I spent a ton on FFXIV too.

Still have zero interest in mobile games.
There’s something like $65 billion in revenue for console and pc gaming to be made next year.

Mobile gaming will make something like $70 billion.

Mobile gaming is definitely the way to go for an easier cash cow. There’s an endless line of morons throwing dollars at their phones to progress.

But the pc and console scene is still absolutely massive and there is no reason not to release games there. Especially if other developers are going mobile there’s going to be less competition.
I will never understand why people want to play games on tiny screens.

IF I go out and have down time, I just enjoy my down time. Being always connected to some device isn't healthy. Look up at the clouds, enjoy the breeze and the sunshine.
11/11/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Hrumn
11/11/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Wyler
I feel both strange and old for being upset that people spend so much time on their phones, and that my PC is becoming a relic (apparently?).

It's not. Though the pace of mobile growth will be far greater, PC gaming is projected to continue growing as well.
Exactly.
This desktop zompocalypse crap started over a decade ago. Constant BS stories about how everything would be moving to small devices very soon.
Ive seen no evidence of it and the exact opposite.
My local computer shop is a major supplier of desktops and components and theyve never been so busy in all the years Ive been going there. They even opened up another store on the very same side of town just so customers didnt have to drive as far.

Desktops will be around for the life spans of every adult on this forum, no doubt.

As far as gaming. Blizzard can do the math. They know we're not investing $2000 in a desktop or more to play this game and then going to turn around and just start playing on our cell phone or tablet.
Most players, especially hard core raiders, would quit immediately and they know it.