Ok you mobile Enthusiasts

General Discussion
Recommend me your top picks of non P2W Mobile games. IDC what genre. I also don't really have anything against PTW, i'm just broke.

I wanna see what the fuss is about. Or if it's a sustainable form of entertainment for me.
11/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Vãrick
non P2W Mobile games

They haven't been invented.
There are some tower defense games (a genre invented by WC3 no less) on steam called "Kingdom Rush," they're apparently also mobile games. The devs who make them have said they draw their inspiration from Blizzard, and they're some of the most fun TDs out there. Very well done, and at least the steam versions have no microtransactions.
Recommend me your top picks of non P2W Mobile games. IDC what genre. I also don't really have anything against PTW, i'm just broke.

I wanna see what the fuss is about. Or if it's a sustainable form of entertainment for me.

While it qualifies as a gatcha, I find Fire Emblem: Heroes is fair enough for a free user that I've never felt paywalled by it.
Wait, so I'm the only one who plays WoW from my phone at work via Moonlight?
I enjoyed Fallout shelter and only bought the 5 buck welcome bundle because I was already having fun and wanted to toss a little money their way in thanks. Easily got a max pop vault and plenty of good items without dropping another dime. People must really be impatient in order to buy more things because you move forward at a good clip just by the normal pace of the game.

All in all it was about a month's worth of fun. That's just about the only mobile game I've played.
Fortnite and PUBG are the top games at the moment but I haven't played them.

I have been playing Tesla vs Lovecraft. $4.99 (no PTW as far as I can see)
http://teslavslovecraft.com/

I am fond of Star Trek Timelines.
Solitaire
Recommend me your top picks of non P2W Mobile games.
Download an emulator and enjoy some retro games, that's the only way to get what you ask for.
Micro transactions are just a part of that industry, but i do have some recomendations.
Fallout Shelter
8ball Pool by the fabulous miniclip.com
Crossy road
Blocky Farm
Fruit Ninja
And i have been playing the Shiznit out of Hearthstone lately
11/11/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Inviscerate
non P2W Mobile games

They haven't been invented.

The only one I can possibly think of is Terraria.

But even that was ported from PC by the creator who is also extremely consumer friendly, a trait big companies do not nor will ever have.
11/11/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Doomclan
While it qualifies as a gatcha, I find Fire Emblem: Heroes is fair enough for a free user that I've never felt paywalled by it.

That game has loot boxes. That slot machine is the worst type of micro transaction out there.
It might not be at the point where its P2W (needing a specific loot box character to beat a specific boss/quest, etc), but these type of games lure in people first. After they've created a huge player base, then they'll start switching to a blatant P2W game.
Personally even aside from that fact that every game seems strongly bias towards P2W they just don't have engaging gameplay, and the controls are poor at best.

If we picked up a console game or a PC game and the controls were the proportionately bad to those on mobile games we would put them down and play a different one. I'm honestly not sure why we give so much leeway to bad technology simply because "we accept the limits of that media"
11/11/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Moriander
Micro transactions are just a part of that industry, but i do have some recomendations.
Fallout Shelter
Crossy road
Blocky Farm
Fruit Ninja

Hearthstone is an engaging one, but sadly even the PC game is P2W.
It's a game I enjoy on occasion and would have loved to get into but the pay wall just to play it is incredibly steep, and it just gets worse with each new expansion release.

11/11/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Viviornitier
11/11/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Doomclan

That game has loot boxes. That slot machine is the worst type of micro transaction out there.
It might not be at the point where its P2W (needing a specific loot box character to beat a specific boss/quest, etc), but these type of games lure in people first. After they've created a huge player base, then they'll start switching to a blatant P2W game.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius follows the same principles. You get loot boxes, which you can get in relatively small numbers for free based on small accumulation of the games paid currency. Sounds great on the outset, especially considering they are reasonably generous with free events and compensation for server downtime.

However the problem is that getting competitive units has such a low drop chance that you simply can't get by on the small number of units you get, unless of course you are extremely lucky.
Not a mobile enthusiast, but im really liking this bit heroes games i downloaded, its also on steam. The pay features really arnt all that much of a buff considering everything in the game is just off drop chance. I mean sure you can dump asinine amounts of money into it, but its really not helping you in the long run.
Mobile games are nothing but cash grabs. They embody everything wrong with modern day gaming. Poor design? Check. Bad graphics? Check. Nickle and dime you? Ohhh ho ho, double check.

If anyone here has heard of, or watched South Park, I suggest you check out their episode of this abomination. They take jabs at the industry because of these blatant manipulative practices. They give you surges of Dopamine during high moments and then lock them behind paywalls where they constantly flash in game purchases.

If people really wanted a type of on the go gaming, they could have made a handheld console, similar to the Nintendo 3DS. Not a phone game. I still cannot believe that they are going forward with it >.>
11/11/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Moriander
Fallout Shelter
Crossy road
Blocky Farm
Fruit Ninja

It's a game I enjoy on occasion and would have loved to get into but the pay wall just to play it is incredibly steep, and it just gets worse

I payed 5 bucks for the Welcome package to show my support and haven't payed a dime since. Yeah, sometimes you come across a player that just has cards that are insurmountably better than yours, but that's the same thing with literally every card game from Magic to Yugio. It's the same thing as an actual competitive monster card game, but on your phone, or computer
It's a game I enjoy on occasion and would have loved to get into but the pay wall just to play it is incredibly steep, and it just gets worse

I payed 5 bucks for the Welcome package to show my support and haven't payed a dime since. Yeah, sometimes you come across a player that just has cards that are insurmountably better than yours, but that's the same thing with literally every card game from Magic to Yugio. It's the same thing as an actual competitive monster card game, but on your phone, or computer

True, I agree it's a product of the genre. Card games invariably suffer from intensive power creep as each new expansion is released to make the new cards more appealing to current players. (remember when a Blue Eyes White Dragon was the strongest card in Yugioh?)
It is a paywall to the genre though.
Mobile gaming is all about that MTX, even though every single mobile game would be better if it had been made without MTX in mind.

I can't think of a time I was like wow, its so great i get to convert real money to fun bux to fill my stam gauge so i can keep playing