Sylvanas got "retconed"

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8
11/12/2018 11:02 PMPosted by Khazlei
I’ll say it again, more plainly this time.

Blizz isn’t seeing enough support for her removal, Horde side, so they’re willing to mangle their own story as far as they need to to make her look worse in the eyes of the Horde.

Turning an ambiguous and interesting controversy regarding her character into ‘evidence’ that she was ‘totes not even slightly Horde’ even during Wrath that will hopefully(in their eyes) root out her more stubborn supporters so their silly new story can fly by the fans more smoothly.

If this is really their aim then they're going to fail. I shouldn't have to feel like I'm fighting against the Alliance, half my faction, and the Devs. Just going to dig my heels in deeper. Do your worst, Blizzard. I'm willing to go down with this ship.
11/12/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Mardrigala
Umm...she's been having the RAS develop a new plague/blight since Vanilla? The only 'retcon' is her being responsible for Putress's attack at the Wrathgate, and even that's up for debate.

Hold up, where is this stated????
Sylvanases crazy !@#$% mode did not start until AFTER wrath, once she found out, that when she dies, shes goes to the void and is SoL. So her acting like queen ^-*!@ prior to that makes no sense, all of her actions after that are par the course.

Unpopular oppinion, Sylvanas should have killed her self after wrath, or had her story come to an end since really with the death of arthus her story was over, and ever since then she has been one of the worst written characters of all time, along side with the horrible writing of tyranda between wrath and now.
11/12/2018 05:28 PMPosted by Khazlei
The amount of blind ‘I told you so’s’, and confirmation bias here clouding judgement is astounding.

Literally everyone I’ve seen is angry at Blizzard for mangling the story into a shape that imitates the SoO storyline. Literally every single move made by Sylvanas this expac has been calculated by the writers to get players to turn on her. Then just as focus on her is starting to slow slightly and turn towards the Alliance with 8.1, this ‘offhand’ retcon that only makes Sylvanas look even worse than she already was pops up?

Implicating Sylvanas in more Horde deaths retroactively so that her defenders will have less ammunition So that people won’t be able to use ‘acceptable collateral’ or ‘Varimathras and Putress’ as arguments?

I know she’s never been a good person, but you all are eating out of the writer’s hands so long as they feed your hate bon.ers. Anyone who doesn’t recognize this as the ‘controversy fuel’ that it is are crazy.

The good thing about sylvanas is that they said she wont be a raid boss because they dont want to give her the SoO treatment. So that means something else has to happen
11/12/2018 07:57 PMPosted by Inoro
11/12/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Enekie
I can't believe Sylvanas corrupted the orc tribes by forcing them to drink demon's blood.

She's always been such a horrible terror and threat to Azeroth! Remember when she burst out of the planet and caused the cataclysm with her crazy undead-earth powers!

I can't believe Sylvanas and Queen Ashzara were actually the same person the whole time thanks to a handy make up kit.
11/12/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Kelisaria
11/12/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Marmoud

yeah, I know she is. But we knew 10 years ago Wrathgate was Putres' and Varimarthas' doing. This wrathgate retcon is bull****

It's not a retcon. It was always implied, in game, that she knew something about it or even ordered it. It was left ambiguous about what she knew about the Wrathgate.

But she was never some innocent victim. She was not "retconned" into being responsible for the Wrathgate, as it was always suspicious. If she wasn't suspect for it, Thrall wouldn't have put Undercity under watch by his Kor'kron.

Did anyone just not think that maybe she did order the Wrathgate, but also knew that Varimathras was going to use it to try a coup while she was going to try to use it for sympathy points? That actually paints her as very manipulative, and not at all "out of character".

You beat me to it.

That old "plausible deniability" card.

It's been the lich queen's goal since vanilla to turn everyone on Azeroth into undead. Especially since wrath, when she found out she'd be sharing space in wow's version of hell with arthas.

11/12/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Wailènx
For Sylvanas to order the Wrathgate attack that means she was working WITH the Legion LOL.

Considering that she uses plague (a weapon of the legion), she allies herself with an (supposedly former) agent of the legion (because anyone who believes for one second that a banshee and a city of undead has a snowball's chance in fel against sargeras is deluding themselves), and her side quest in Stormheim actually undermines the war effort against the legion...yes she has been working indirectly or directly for the legion since vanilla.

11/12/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Moonsorrows
Ok but it makes no sense that Putress and the Dreadlord would both cover for her while she sacked her own city.

You don't give them a chance to explain themselves, do you?

You also don't know what transpires before the lich queen's "exile" from undercity and the attack from both sides. Orders could have been left to defend the city from all attackers (even their own faction) until she returned. Then she goes and claims she was ousted and they are working on something even worse. Conveniently, anyone who can contradict her version of events is killed...then she goes right back to working on plague, which she uses on Southshore, Gilneas and several other places.

11/12/2018 06:56 PMPosted by Moonsorrows
I couldn't care less about what the Worgen think in that scenario b/c if they would have helped silvermoon against the scourge instead of ignoring it then there would have been no undead sylvanas.

No, there would just be more scourge.

The wall worked, despite what all the whiners and naysayers say.

11/13/2018 12:02 AMPosted by Annanetta
She complained about how her beautiful city was being ransacked the whole raid. Not just sadness either. Rage.

To slightly tweak the famous bard quote:

"The (dark) lady doth protest too much, methinks."

11/13/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Esos
The good thing about sylvanas is that they said she wont be a raid boss because they dont want to give her the SoO treatment. So that means something else has to happen

Like a dungeon boss, or gets the garrosh treatment in wod...an anticlimactic npc death.

Holy Light, I would savor the REEEEEEE from that for the rest of time!

:D

What can't happen, is for someone to commit genocide, and for them to get away with it scott free. Because for a major software company whose stock is already falling to make that kind of move...well, that would create all manner of trouble. Whitewashing genocide is bad enough, not facing any real justice for it? All new levels of issues.
Rumour has it in 8.2 theres a new cinematic where' she ties aggra and her children up to a train track.

They are going out of there way to make her the villain, and i really wonder are they going through all this simply because there is a sylvannas loyalist fanbase they are trying to make crack? or do they actually think this is consistent good writing?

Im litterally sitting here in anticipation waiting for new storylines where she kicks puppies and bury forsaken alive. maybe give her a nice "grinch who stole christmas" monologue while there at it.
11/12/2018 03:03 PMPosted by Marmoud
and this sucks.

WTF is this "Sylvanas was responsible for Wrathgate and the the plague"
"She have been always off the rails"

When you have no idea what you are doing and need to retcon the story to fit Sylvanas's character....
I mean, I never saw that she didn't have anything to do with it.

They did it. She denied she had anything to do with it. Reality? I think she did on purpose, I think she gave the order and when the dust cleared, claimed she had given no such order.
11/12/2018 11:02 PMPosted by Khazlei
I’ll say it again, more plainly this time.

Blizz isn’t seeing enough support for her removal, Horde side, so they’re willing to mangle their own story as far as they need to to make her look worse in the eyes of the Horde.

Turning an ambiguous and interesting controversy regarding her character into ‘evidence’ that she was ‘totes not even slightly Horde’ even during Wrath that will hopefully(in their eyes) root out her more stubborn supporters so their silly new story can fly by the fans more smoothly.

Pretty sure Sylvanas could get every player to come to see her in Org, bring out a puppy, straight up murder it, and half the Horde players would argue that that puppy would have grown up to be the next Dogolf Hitler so she wasn't in the wrong.
11/12/2018 03:03 PMPosted by Marmoud
and this sucks.

WTF is this "Sylvanas was responsible for Wrathgate and the the plague"
"She have been always off the rails"

When you have no idea what you are doing and need to retcon the story to fit Sylvanas's character....

The forsaken have been chanting, "Death to the living" since day 1. And now people act surprised when they follow through.
/facepalm
I honestly believe that what that person meant was that Sylvanas was the one responsible for managing Putress, Varimathras and the blight, and that the ensuing rebellion wouldn't have happened if she had paid closer attention to her subordinates.

Now'd be a pretty good time for a blue post to show up and clarify that.
Uh, no. Back when confronted by Thrall, she admitted she knew Putress was working on this new plague and condoned it. Therefore, she's just as responsible as the nasty demon she was working directly with, as well as the RAS. She doesn't get to plead ignorance, and players blindly defending her actions are seriously naive.

She also directly defied her own warchief and used the plague on Gilneas when told NOT to do it. So again, stop defending her and saying she's just being retconned. She full well knew what Putress was up to. Maybe he jumped the gun on launching it against both Horde and Alliance, but she is just as responsible by proxy because she was already using it throughout Northrend as they tested it. Or did you guys all miss that part of the lore?
She told them to use it but not on horde and alliance soldiers...that was the problem with wrathgate.
You don't know what the word "retconned" means, apparently.
11/13/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Juxu
I honestly believe that what that person meant was that Sylvanas was the one responsible for managing Putress, Varimathras and the blight, and that the ensuing rebellion wouldn't have happened if she had paid closer attention to her subordinates.

Now'd be a pretty good time for a blue post to show up and clarify that.

I also believe that is what they meant. She didn't give the orders because Putress and Varimathras did betray her as well as all of us, so she didn't specifically cause it directly but inadvertently it is her fault. She allows and encourages messed up experiments and the creation of messed up weapons, she also has created an environment on cruelty within the forsaken.
11/13/2018 10:45 PMPosted by Rent
She told them to use it but not on horde and alliance soldiers...that was the problem with wrathgate.
We don't know what her orders were. We know from quests and books that she ordered the RAS to develop the Blight and personally oversaw its testing and development, including force-feeding it to captured civilians(Rise of the Lich King), we know from Chronicle 3 that rumors persisted within the Horde that she knew more than what she claimed to, and we know that the story devs have said that they actively hate the idea of continuity because they feel that it shackles their creativity.
11/13/2018 10:45 PMPosted by Rent

If she was personally there, there is no doubt in my mind that she would have given the order. Her entire driving ambition at that point in time was to kill Arthas. It makes no sense in-character that she, in possession of a weapon potentially capable of killing Arthas, would balk at the chance to take him out because some innocent soldiers might have been caught in the crossfire.
Word of God is she's responsible for the wrathgate:

"I've heard these discussions on the internet about 'she's going off the rails', but is she? I've been writing Sylvanas personally since 2006, and this is pretty much - the Wrathgate and the Blight and the Forsaken - in character. Those were all under Sylvanas' orders. What we're seeing now is an escalation of the plans Sylvanas has, clearly, and we're in the middle of that."

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-08-world-of-warcraft-and-the-masterplan-for-sylvanas
Thral had suspicions since wotlk. It was always 50/50% Although I liked to believe it was the demon lord it is sort of cooler that Slyvanas was behind it and made her pawns take the hit.

As far as her current standings I hope she becomes more admirable. In the comic we see her not kill her sisters. So there is something there. I hope she becomes a powerful horde leader and has things to look up to. If her story is Garrosh but no killing and Garrosh was meant for greatness I hope to see it. I hope its not killing Garrosh 2.0 though.