The Argus Timeline

Story Forum
So I've been away for quite a while until recently, and I'm having trouble understanding the timeline of Argus and the Draenei in general.
To my understanding, the Legion visited Argus roughly 25,000 years ago. However, I keep seeing references to 10,000 years ingame. Khadgar says it, a few draenei NPCs say it, and an item called Ancient Fishing Line has flavor text that mentions a 'ten thousand year war'.
But as far as I know 13,000 years and 25,000 years are still occasionally mentioned...is this just a case of Blizzard not keeping track of their own timeline, or is this some kind of inconsistent retcon?
Draenei left Argus 25,000 years ago.

Any reference to 10,000 are either Blizz mixing the timeline with the War of the Ancients, the war for Azeroth 10,000 years ago. Or they were referring to the WotA and you mistook it to mean Argus. Or a combination.

Alternatively, 10,000 years ago was when Xe'ra took a portion of the draenei off to become the Army of the Light and begin their war.

11/13/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Curumo

That was originally when Velen's son went missing, but Shadows of Argus retconned it to being when they fled Argus. This is just a retcon.
In the Twisting Nether, time flows differently from plane to plane.

If you hear 1000 years, this is commonly in reference to the amount of time that Turalyon and Alleria were away from Azeroth, fighting the Legion in the Army of the Light. For them it was 1000 years, but for us it was much shorter.

If you hear 10000 years, this is commonly how long ago it's been since the War of the Ancients.

If you hear 25000 years, this is commonly how long ago it's been since Velen's exodus from Argus.
Ahh, the bit about Xe'ra might actually be what I keep seeing. The fishing line in particular mentions the '10,000 year war'. I quit before Argus was released, so I'm admittedly still trying to learn about Lightforged and everything to do with them. I was under the impression that they became a thing 25 thousand years ago as well, so that would explain a lot of my confusion. Thanks a lot!
Blizz retcon everything this days, I wouldn't be surprised if they say it was last year all of the sudden...
11/13/2018 09:23 PMPosted by Curumo
Ahh, the bit about Xe'ra might actually be what I keep seeing

Woops, sorry, I'm just speculating that.

I figure it makes sense though, since after the WotA the Legion would've been the weakest it had ever been. But it's just a theory of mine.
11/13/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Ximothy
11/13/2018 09:23 PMPosted by Curumo
Ahh, the bit about Xe'ra might actually be what I keep seeing

Woops, sorry, I'm just speculating that.

I figure it makes sense though, since after the WotA the Legion would've been the weakest it had ever been. But it's just a theory of mine.

Oh, well it would at least clear up lines like that. The timeline does seem to be all over the place otherwise. I suppose it could also be possible that the war itself has only been going on for 10,000 years even if Xe'ra made off with the future Lightforged before that.

https://i.gyazo.com/119c31ece275fcc5da4144be849b7cfc.png

This is the item that made me ask this. Either way, Blizz tends to be a little vague about timelines I've noticed.
11/13/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Zabriel
Blizz retcon everything this days, I wouldn't be surprised if they say it was last year all of the sudden...
Alright, I get that the story is on a downward spiral nowadays, but where does this baseless nihilism really get us?
11/13/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Curumo

This is the item that made me ask this. Either way, Blizz tends to be a little vague about timelines I've noticed.
In this case I'm inclined to just call it a genuine error.
11/13/2018 11:12 PMPosted by Celandia
11/13/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Curumo

In this case I'm inclined to just call it a genuine error.

It certainly could be, and at this point I'm inclined to believe it is, but I could swear I've seen the 10,000 number used in relation to Argus before.
Maybe I'm misremembering though, who knows