Blizzard has to save money

Classic Discussion
If they can save a tiny fraction of costs by using a cloud solution with a player cap of 30 per shard, more power to them! Who are we to demand they produce a product worth playing? Last I checked I'm just a customer, not an investor.

How is blizzard supposed to justify spending money on servers when classic is essentially free? (no purchase, sub tied to the retail game)

/s
Exactly that-you're the customer, you have every right to demand what you view as a quality product when you're the one who might be purchasing it.

Also, classic is essentially free if you are playing retail. If you are one of the 10s of millions who used to play and are NOT playing retail because it's a flaming heap of dung then you will be deciding to pay $15/month for classic or not...
11/14/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Droodguy
If they can save a tiny fraction of costs by using a cloud solution with a player cap of 30 per shard, more power to them! Who are we to demand they produce a product worth playing? Last I checked I'm just a customer, not an investor.

How is blizzard supposed to justify spending money on servers when classic is essentially free? (no purchase, sub tied to the retail game)
we are the people they expect to pay money , we have rights to demand certain things unless they remove the sub entirely
Who are we to demand they produce a product worth playing? Last I checked I'm just a customer, not an investor.
The customer always bows down to the crap they are being sold? What?
Why should they pay for additional hardware for a service type they have no desire to reproduce.

If you EVER thought they were going back to the archaic one server per blade model they had during Vanilla, you were seriously deluding yourself.
11/14/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Natiari
Why should they pay for additional hardware for a service type they have no desire to reproduce.

If you EVER thought they were going back to the archaic one server per blade model they had during Vanilla, you were seriously deluding yourself.

If that's what it takes to "recreate the authentic vanilla experience" then I don't think it's all that deluded. And yes, seeing more than 30 players on screen at once is part of the authentic experience. A very big and important part of it. I'm not saying go back to the old servers, but if the current infrastructure cant handle the load of vanilla, then they need to look into different options.
11/14/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Droodguy
If that's what it takes to "recreate the authentic vanilla experience" then I don't think it's all that deluded.

It is, when they specifically stated even at reveal, that they were working on fitting it into their current authentication and distribution services.

Anyone with common sense knew they weren't going to bring back the separate server blade model.

It's going to be an old-school style of MMO on modern infrastructure. We knew that from the start.
0/10

/s

Consider that BFA's dropping players like it's gone out of style..................

Tons of resources are now freed up for Classic WoW, I see no issue given that Modern WoW's sealed its own fate and Vanilla is the only reason why any of that infrastructure is even there in the first place..
9/10
Business is a simple equation of supply and demand. If Blizzard makes a game that generates demand, they'll be able to charge for it and be fine. If they make a game that, in an effort to save money, no one wants to play, then they'll have lost money, not saved it.

A pure classic experience will allow them to charge a reasonable rate, and they'll make money.
ITT: People with 0 tech knowledge trying to make it seem like everything is easy and servers are cheap, and we can just do this and that. Yeah, sure, right.

Also, odds are blizzard just rents out servers like most companies do. Hell the company i work for rents out servers as needed (scaling) on Azure.
11/14/2018 07:27 PMPosted by Alorandis
ITT: People with 0 tech knowledge trying to make it seem like everything is easy and servers are cheap, and we can just do this and that. Yeah, sure, right.

Also, odds are blizzard just rents out servers like most companies do. Hell the company i work for rents out servers as needed (scaling) on Azure.

Metrohaha, is that you?

Confirmed supporter of Azurite!!
Shame!
I mean blizzard has more than enough money to purchase modern high end server blades at 10k a piece, hell they could rent them for $150 a month.
11/14/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Hazzay

Shame!

Who is this Azuritel? is it someone who doesn't raise a storm of silly things and actually understands what the actual hell takes to run even a basic online feature let alone a massive online game?
I'm not currently subbed. I won't buy, much less play BfA, if only for story reasons. It's up to Blizzard to deliver a product I'm willing to pay for if they want that situation to change.
11/14/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Alorandis
Who is this Azuritel? is it someone who doesn't raise a storm of silly things and actually understands what the actual hell takes to run even a basic online feature let alone a massive online game?
it's almost like those people running more stable private servers have secret mobster investors, how on earth else could they afford it all???
11/14/2018 08:45 AMPosted by Babana
Who are we to demand they produce a product worth playing? Last I checked I'm just a customer, not an investor.
The customer always bows down to the crap they are being sold? What?

If you follow recent games releases in 99% of the cases this is the case.
11/14/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Alorandis
11/14/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Hazzay

Shame!

It's almost as if this dude just discovered that trolling is, but has no clue how to do it effectively, yet.