"2x4"

General Discussion
I'm seeing this in a lot of custom group listings. Can someone explain to me what that means?
It's common dimensions for a plank of wood.
They are farm groups getting around the 5 man party tag limit by having 4 people hit a mob then another person in the other group also hit it so all 8 people can get loot.
Something to do with farming respawn mobs more effectively.
11/14/2018 09:23 PMPosted by Maryine

^ This. :)

Though the old saying is: "Hit's you over the head with a 2x4." Meaning someone is trying to get some else's attention, so "whack" over the head. lol
It's the technology that the kids next door use.
11/14/2018 09:23 PMPosted by Farora
They are farm groups getting around the 5 man party tag limit by having 4 people hit a mob then another person in the other group also hit it so all 8 people can get loot.

This is clever.
11/14/2018 09:21 PMPosted by Tadkins
I'm seeing this in a lot of custom group listings. Can someone explain to me what that means?

Loss

lol

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you. :)

My first reaction was... wait am I in WoW forum or a DIY forum?

Mistake posting this, Should keep it secret, If Blizzard catches wind of this I guarantee they will nerf it like they did every thing else in the game players found a way around just like the Kara trash & BC Heroics they nerfed just by reading it here on the forums.
in before fun detected, fun nerfed.
11/14/2018 09:35 PMPosted by Dumbeldorf

Mistake posting this, Should keep it secret, If Blizzard catches wind of this I guarantee they will nerf it like they did every thing else in the game players found a way around just like the Kara trash & BC Heroics they nerfed just by reading it here on the forums.

Dumble, peleeze...its right up there in the Premades. Its not exactly Fightclub rules...

Yeah blizz are totally gonna get right on ending the method we've been using for over a month. and have videos explaining how it works. Because 1 guy explained it in a forum post (which also happened several times before)
11/14/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Reull

Dumble, peleeze...its right up there in the Premades. Its not exactly Fightclub rules...

Just calling it like Blizzard has done many times over the last year.

also common dimensions for lead free threaded brass pipe (commonly called a nipple) used in plumbing.
/lays flat on the floor.

Am i doing it right???

Those are boards that I put up at work, with a forklift.

They are "nominally" two inches by four inches, then a dimensional length (like 84, 92, 96, 104, 10 foot, etc.

Sometimes a customer comes in, saying, "So why are they not really 2 inches by 4 inches always?"

"Because you are stupid, customer. You are very, very stupid." (no, I never really say that, tee hee!)
11/14/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Kypookins

They are "nominally" two inches by four inches, then a dimensional length (like 84, 92, 96, 104, 10 foot, etc.

Sometimes a customer comes in, saying, "So why are they not really 2 inches by 4 inches always?"

"Because you are stupid, customer. You are very, very stupid." (no, I never really say that, tee hee!)

Yeah, because everyone should know that the size isn't the size. What is very, very very stupid is listing a size that isn't correct. Who cares what the size was when it was rough sawn?

Thankfully the metric system here has ended all that malarkey and it's only antiquated articles that use those terms now.
11/15/2018 12:15 AMPosted by Avangaline
11/14/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Kypookins

Yeah, because everyone should know that the size isn't the size. What is very, very very stupid is listing a size that isn't correct. Who cares what the size was when it was rough sawn?

Thankfully the metric system here has ended all that malarkey and it's only antiquated articles that use those terms now.

It's mostly because 2x4s are such a mainstream component of American house frame building forever, that changing it to... "One and a half by three and half" would require the entire construction industry to shift their standards.

tl;dr it's an industry word that's been used for so long, changing it now would be even more of a challenge. Same principal to why we're stuck with imperial over metric.