Question for Mages

Arenas
Ive been having an issue with shimmer thats making it really hard to juke, and curious if any other mages are having a similair issue or if its spell queue setting related or what, any advice is appreciated.

Basically anytime i cast shimmer while casting, i cant cancel my cast with movement. Im able to freely move while casting for a split second after using shimmer, and the cast will either 1. go off while im moving 2.eventually cancel due to movement but only after a large delay (also it isnt ping related, i have ~20ms at all times.)

heres an example scenario:

Rsham peeks out from pillar, i cast sheep, and then shimmer into his LoS when he lines me. At this point hes going to sheer so i attempt to cancel cast (with movement) and i just keep casting and get kicked.

Im sure a stop casting hotkey would fix all of this but to be honest ive never used it in the past and i havent had any problems until now so im not very keen on trying to break my old habits.

Again, any suggestions are appreciated cuz im stumped.
Sounds like you're being out played. If you cant handle free polies with shimmer then go back to the way mages should of stayed with regular blink.
10/12/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Survïvalïst
Sounds like you're being out played. If you cant handle free polies with shimmer then go back to the way mages should of stayed with regular blink.

Im sorry did you even read my post?

Thanks for the salt tho
10/12/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Psyduckqt
10/12/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Survïvalïst

Im sorry did you even read my post?

Thanks for the salt tho

You can press Esc to cancel your cast. You should be able to do it with just movement tho. Maybe you're too slow with the movement juke?
idk I experienced the opposite today, mage blinked to behind my pillar, spammed wind shear, shear went off and I was sheeped so whatever
It’d be easier to help if you could post a video of this
ill take a clip of it today. Its definitely not me being too slow to move. Like i can literally watch myself move while casting for at least half a second.
@Thèllè
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/321854914

Heres a clip. First i cancel with movement w/o shimmer and you can see its reactive and im not suffering from high latency or anything like that. The cast cancels immediately.

Once i use shimmer i can move while casting for what looks like 0.1-0.3 seconds. The delay before the cast actually cancels seems variable, but at least some delay is present literally every time.
Rebound 'S' to a stopcasting macro in WoD for this reason. I'd suggest you do the same, because they aren't going to fix this.
10/12/2018 05:21 PMPosted by Psyduckqt
@Thèllè
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/321854914

Heres a clip. First i cancel with movement w/o shimmer and you can see its reactive and im not suffering from high latency or anything like that. The cast cancels immediately.

Once i use shimmer i can move while casting for what looks like 0.1-0.3 seconds. The delay before the cast actually cancels seems variable, but at least some delay is present literally every time.

ive actually never seen this before. ive only played my mage to about 2.3 but literally not once has it happened to me. ill send this clip to my main mage buddy and see if he has any ideas on how to stop this from consistently happening.

ideas to help this in the mean time though:
1. stop casting macro. i would personally hate to use this as i like to strage slightly (like you showed u do) to fake cast, but this would be the easiest way to fix this
2. disable all addons and reload ur UI. i hate when any1 says this to me tbh but its worth a shot at least. if it doesnt work at least you narrowed down that from being a possible cause.
3. go to big mage streamers that are friendly such as xar/ven and see if they will possibly help you as they have probably experienced almost every bug in the game on mage due to the amount of games they have played
4. go to the bug forums and post this clip with the same explanation and see if they will help you (they will tell you to start with turning off all addons btw lol)

i hope this helps some and ill get back to you if i find an answer to this :)
I have to agree with Thelle. I've done well over a thousand games this season on my mage and never noticed such things... Definitely a bug.

Might be related to latency or addons? Who knows?

Having a stopcast is really nice simple because normal strafe interrupts aren't always an option anyway.

Also, don't mind Survivalist, he's a fotm hunter that's on a crusade to have every Rogue, Mage, and Priest nerfed to unplayability (despite his class countering Rogue+Mage since the dawn of time.
Definitely seems like a connection issue to me. I've had it where I've been casting, I stop, and it keeps going, and my ping is pretty high, even if it's randomly spiking, because it's not on every cast of yours.

Like, if I cast my mount and I'm lagging a little bit, I can "cancel" the cast before it finishes, like 1/5 left or so, and it will stop it, but I still mount up because the connection doesn't catch up in time. Even though I've canceled the cast in game, it doesn't know it until it's too late and I'm already mounted up.

Honestly, I don't think a cancel cast will even help you, because by strafing alone, that's a cancel cast itself.
I can probably clear up some confusion here.

When Shimmer was introduced, it was fairly buggy. Often, casts would be interrupted despite not having moved during the cast when using Shimmer. Many players credited this issue to having high latency, but I personally found it could happen with a lower latency.

Around the time Shimmer interrupting casts was fixed, a weird quirk with Shimmer also started happening: Immediately after using Shimmer, all spells could be cast while moving for a very brief period of time. My guess is that Blizzard made Shimmer more "forgiving" so the odds of having your casts interrupted due to network issues would be far less common by giving Shimmer a short amount of time where spells can be cast while moving. What you're encountering in the video is exactly that - immediately after using Shimmer, you're able to cast spells while moving for around 1/4 or 1/3 of a second.

What you're seeing (god help me for actually saying this) is probably a feature, not a bug. Granted, it's a bit of stretch towards a bandaid fix, but it can have interesting applications. If not being able to cancel spells with movement is an issue, I suggest trying to use a stopcasting macro on an easy-to-press keybind instead. I've found it to be a more accurate/fluid way of canceling spells, anyways.

On a side note, for anyone who doesn't know: Shimmer can be used during anything with a cast time. You can Shimmer during a mount cast, during teleport casts, during crafting, etc.
I have an old stopcasting macro keybound from when they made scorch castable while moving in cata? i think it was.

Works fine for this too.
Rumour dispelling time! Shimmer applies a .6 second window of being able to move while casting spells, this is so that Shimmer will work, this is also the reason why high latency (above 60ms) will cancel your spell casts when you use Shimmer or Displacement (with Shimmer talented). This is how Shimmer has always worked on the live game, it has never worked any differently and anyone saying otherwise is spreading fake news.

The reason the window isn't higher is because it would turn Shimmer in to a terrible Ice Floes.
Thanks for the replies. Stop casting it is :).
/stopcasting macro