I have an embarrassing confession

General Discussion
And I'm hoping for some helpful feedback on how to teach an old dog new tricks.

For the past decade, I've been a clicker. Yes I know my environmental awareness and reaction time would be better if I wasn't. Yes I know my dps would be better if I wasn't. It's just how I learned to play and I never felt like changing until now.

So I've already always used Bartender to keep my spells and rotation closer together and more center to my character, but I've only just now downloaded weakauras and tellmewhen to help as well. Have never used them before, any others I should look into as well or anything you consider better?

I'm currently reconfiguring all my bars and spells to actually be set up to use as intended with keybindings instead of just visual organization, but the retraining in general is the main problem. My hands just wanna fall back into the place they're used to.

So just looking for any kind of advice that might make the change easier. Any other "must have" addons for spells or combat UI? Any keybinding basics I might not know about? Tips on moving faster/easier during combat? Tips on the best way to practice, like should I just jump into 120 content on my main right away or maybe start a fresh alt and grow into it? I know you guys can be super helpful when you want to be so I'm all ears.
1. Buy a Corsair Scimitar RGB Pro gaming mouse (it is, by far, the best).
2. Watch a few videos on how to setup keybinds.
3. It'll take time (a few months) to "get good" but it'll happen.
4. Profit.

And yes, I love Bartender4, too. I've been using it for over 10 years (since Bartender2).

The "take time" component just means you'll slowly customize your binds in your own way but, initially, use others' experience with the process. It doesn't matter that you're an "old dog", just have patience with the process. You also can watch YouTube videos of some of your fav players and see their keybinds (on the icons within the game), and mimic some of them, too.

The first (and most important step) of keybinding is unbinding the "turn left" and "turn right" keys, and replacing them with "strafe left" (A) and "strafe right" (D). Step 2 would be learning how to properly move by using the strafe keys (A and D) with your mouse (holding right-click).
I use the razer naga mmo mouse, yes it takes a little getting used to, but I can't imagine playing without it now. Whenever I have to use our second computer with a normal mouse I feel lost and my dps drops significantly.
Visual orientation is fine if that makes sense to you, however most people use some addon to show them the spells, but the spells that they see are not clickable. The most common addon for this is WeakAuras, and you can see a lot of publicly shared WA for your class here: https://wago.io/weakauras/classes/warrior/arms (I usually sort by stars, then check to see which one seems the most visually appealing to me).

Next, remember that you have more keys than just 1-0. You have shift1-0, alt1-0, q, e, r, t, f, g, z, x, c, v, b that are all easily reachable without moving your fingers. What I tend to do is use the same key for the same function across classes. For example, "t" is always interrupt. 1 is almost always my mobility (charge for you). "q" is always my "oh !@#$" button, or shield wall. By keeping buttons aligned in this way, I can play different characters and my fingers will naturally go to the right place, even when I am not sure what ability I am actually using for that class.

For you to get the hang of it, I would start by just binding my normal rotational abilities as a warrior to 1-5 (I never use 6 personally). I'd then bind at least pummel to a key you prefer, then beat on a dummy for a while without clicking. Get used to that rotation, and using the abilities as you need them without a mouse, and without any other distractions. Once you're comfortable with beating on a dummy, run a few dungeons (more distractions). As you get more used to it, bind more and more keys and force yourself to use the binds rather than clicking.
I click all day beebee. Long live clickers.
I use a Logitech G502 and various keys. It took a while for me to find a set up comfortable for me because I have small hands.

Roll an alt, do some low level bgs or unrated bgs at max. PvP has stuff flying at you constantly so it will put you through a trial by fire and force you to figure things out quickly.
You don't need an MMO mouse if you don't want one, regardless of what the people in this thread say.

For keybinding you should try to keep the majority of your abilities on easy to reach keys like 1-5, QERFTGV and their shift/control/alt modifiers. My most used abilities, which are marrowrend, heart strike, death strike, blood boil are 1-4 and very comfortable to hit repeatedly, especially 2 3 and 4. You should put your equivalents on those keys.
I’m mostly a clicker and I’m gonna day your best bet is not to change your play style immediately to fit what others tell you to do.

Your best bet to improve is to fix what makes it feel clunky to you. Heroic leap is awkward to click because it is a placed ability, pummel is awkward because it’s off the GCD, etc.. fixing these things one at a time can yield much better and faster results.

I recommend leveling a new character and fixing the issues as you obtain the new abilities rather than trying to make a big change and then show up to raid hoping you can defeat your old muscle memory.
10/15/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Laserpickles
1. Buy a Corsair Scimitar RGB Pro gaming mouse (it is, by far, the best)

THIS^^^^^^^^
My gameplay has done a compete 180 when I got my 12 button mouse, it makes everything so much better.
I've played mmos for 12 years now and got my mouse about 2ish years ago- it was the best decision I've ever made. It feels very weird at first and probably took me a couple weeks to get use to it but now I dont even use my keyboard for spells.
My bestfriend was also a clicker and I convinced him to upgrade his life to the 12 button mouse, he hated it at first but I kept on him to practice with it and just last week he thanked me lol
I too have an embarrassing confession. I can't stop watching this 15 second video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ZkBFRZK2E&feature=youtu.be
10/15/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Trikan
You don't need an MMO mouse if you don't want one, regardless of what the people in this thread say.

For keybinding you should try to keep the majority of your abilities on easy to reach keys like 1-5, QERFTGV and their shift/control/alt modifiers. My most used abilities, which are marrowrend, heart strike, death strike, blood boil are 1-4 and very comfortable to hit repeatedly, especially 2 3 and 4. You should put your equivalents on those keys.

MMO mouse > using F and number keys (reducing mobility)
10/15/2018 07:03 AMPosted by Hayzeus
I click all day beebee. Long live clickers.

Nothing wrong with clicking.

If you can't play the game smoothly by just clicking the buttons on the bar, then the game is messed up.
10/15/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Laserpickles
10/15/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Trikan

MMO mouse > using F and number keys (reducing mobility)

F is a utility button, I don't really use it rotationally. 1-3 as well as E can be pressed while not taking your hands off of A and D at all as well as using double mouse click to run forward if necessary. Other abilities can be jump casted to maintain full mobility.
10/15/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Seejarvis
I use the razer naga mmo mouse, yes it takes a little getting used to, but I can't imagine playing without it now. Whenever I have to use our second computer with a normal mouse I feel lost and my dps drops significantly.

Razer Naga 4 lyf. Though the new one was clearly designed for male hands and my poor girly hand isn't quite big enough for it and my pinky starts to hurt :(

But to the OP: Definitely get a gaming mouse. What I do is keybind my rotation and CDs to the mouse buttons and if I need to move out of things during a boss fight I strafe with the keyboard and use the mouse to turn character if I need.
From one old warrior to another, I highly recommend using the Razer Tartarus/Naga 2018.

I made a quick setup of my Arms/Fury/Prot Spec using Dominos for my bar addon.

https://twitter.com/Nav_Ox/status/1046123190592966656
I broke my clicking habit about two years ago. An MMO mouse sure does wonders, but certainly not required if you can reach keybinds without hindering your movement on WASD. To me, it was more about preventing myself from looking down than it was getting used to the keybinds.

As far as addons go:

I prefer Dominoes over Bartender because it’s more user friendly, imo. I used Bartender for years and Dominoes feels a lot cleaner. But, they are basically the same thing, so whatever you prefer.

TellMeWhen is a lifesaver and I feel blind without it. I can actually keep my eyes where they need to be instead of looking down. Highly recommend this one.

ThreatPlates is nice for DoTs and combo points if you’re playing a rogue. Required a bit of configuration to look clean, but it’s definitely another must have, especially for my rogue alt.

WeakAuras is a no brainer. The possibilities are endless with this one. You can import premade WeakAura strings from Wowhead and other websites if you’re like me and suck at making your own.

When keybinding, I bind my most used abilities to the keys easiest to reach. Kill Command and Cobra Shot are 1 and 2, Barbed Shot is F. You can also do SHIFT+key. Shift 2, Murder of Crows, Shift F Beastial Wrath, etc. Things that are on a longer cd than the rest. The big cooldowns (Lust, Aspect of the Wild) I still click in my bars.

Just practice a ton on target dummies and spend the time configuring your UI to be comfortable for you. Use Dominoes/Bartender to make your buttons really small to stop yourself from looking at them. For a few weeks, you’ll have to consciously tell yourself to stop trying to button click until you get the hang of it.

It’ll be so worth it when you break the habit! Good luck to you!
I try to bind most things. Some stuff I don't. I don't really bind potions or profession tabs or healthstones though maybe there's reasons to. I don't bind guild bank, jeeves, or reeves either since they are never time sensitive.
A decade's worth of habits is going to take a long train to retrain. Practice, and sticking with it are going to be the most helpful things you can do.
"Honey, sit down. There's something I need to talk to you about.

I just got a call from the doctor, and he says that... He says that I am a clicker.
...You should get yourself checked."

As a clicker in remission, clear for almost a decade now, it took a few months to get used to my new life initially.

Bartender helped with the transition a ton. Eventually, I went a step further and bound WASD to ESDF to give myself more bindings, and that took years and years to get used to, not placing my hands back to WASD, and blowing a major CD. I still use bartender in a 3x4 grid as a visual aid.
I use a Logitech M570 thumb ball mouse paired with an Razer Anansi gaming keyboard. the thumb buttons on the keyboard allow me to keep my movement keys at ADSF while my action keys are QWERTZXCVBGH, 1-0 for anything left over. the mouse also has two index buttons and a third scroll wheel button. i started using thumb ball mice in the 90s and have never looked back. when i broke my left arm last summer i bought and tried using a Naga, but it was so ... it was comical.

my kids cant use standard mice either.