Tanking isn’t hard

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7
10/25/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Zezeall
Some of mythic + ppl decide to not interrupt (its tank responsibility), path taken is tanks responsibility, dps pulls a few (tanks responsibility), dps stands in aoe (tanks fault for not moving add/boss so it did not hit said player), tanks fault if dps does not target certain add, tanks problem if dps die to immune to threat add, tanks responsibility to know all, tank responsibility to cc, and just keeps going.

People blaming the wrong person doesnt mean it was the tank responsibility, everyone in the group should be helping with most of those things. I dont see how that mean tanking is harder, on m+ I would say is on par with dps, as they pretty much have to do the same things.
10/25/2018 05:38 AMPosted by Dartakan
10/25/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Zezeall
Some of mythic + ppl decide to not interrupt (its tank responsibility), path taken is tanks responsibility, dps pulls a few (tanks responsibility), dps stands in aoe (tanks fault for not moving add/boss so it did not hit said player), tanks fault if dps does not target certain add, tanks problem if dps die to immune to threat add, tanks responsibility to know all, tank responsibility to cc, and just keeps going.

People blaming the wrong person doesnt mean it was the tank responsibility, everyone in the group should be helping with most of those things. I dont see how that mean tanking is harder, on m+ I would say is on par with dps, as they pretty much have to do the same things.

DPS on M+ is really no different from DPS in any other mode. Mechanics, situational awareness, and rotation. Tanks have to do the same things as DPS, in addition to routing, pulling, and pacing the dungeon. Learning dungeons and affixes honestly involves a lot more work as a tank than as a DPS.

In Raids, tanking is pretty much braindead though.
10/24/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Stripendella
The aspect of tanking and handling mobs isn't that difficult. What makes it difficult is dps facepulling extra adds, weak healers, dps focusing the wrong add and not interrupting, oh and raid tanking with another tank that doesn't know what they hell they are doing.

How difficult tanking is, is almost entirely dependent on others in the group knowing what the hell they are doing

Playing a tank is easy......being a tank is HARD. If tanking and healing was easy peasy lemon squeezey ques wouldn't be long at all.
10/25/2018 05:53 AMPosted by Iver
DPS on M+ is really no different from DPS in any other mode. Mechanics, situational awareness, and rotation. Tanks have to do the same things as DPS, in addition to routing, pulling, and pacing the dungeon. Learning dungeons and affixes honestly involves a lot more work as a tank than as a DPS

But none of those things are particularly hard(routing, pulling, and pacing), any tank with decent experience should be able to do them. On the other hand dps have a more complex rotation and die easier.

Affixes depends on which one it is, but yeah a lot more are on the tank, this is what really makes m+ harder as a tank and put them on par with the dps in terms of difficulty.
10/25/2018 05:34 AMPosted by Dartakan
Dps job is harder in raids, any good tank knows this.

Oh yeah, it Is so hard avoiding that area drawn out by DBM...
10/25/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Caelin
10/25/2018 05:34 AMPosted by Dartakan
Dps job is harder in raids, any good tank knows this.

Is really not up to debate, raids are mostly a test on your dps/healers. Tanks on the other hand just gear for dps and try to do as much as possible, most mechanics boil down to having a CD rotation and not much more.
DPS is the easiest role ever .. don’t stand in colorful things and mindlessly mash buttons . What’s hard about that .

Tanks need to control the mobs and keep them away from DPS and healers need to keep everyone alive . Both roles much much more difficult than DPS
10/25/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Dosao
Tanks need to control the mobs and keep them away from DPS and healers need to keep everyone alive . Both roles much much more difficult than DPS

What if I told you, that dps and healers also have to help control the mobs and that is not a job exclusive to tanks in anyway.
10/25/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Dartakan
10/25/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Dosao

What if I told you, that dps and healers also have to help control the mobs and that is not a job exclusive to tanks in anyway.

This is my one character so I have not done any end game content but so far in my experience , if the DPS don’t engage anyone before the tank , the dungeons go smoothly.
As a main dps since launch, no way in hell I would want to be a tank. It is not just a simple sit there and taunt every so often. IMO Tank is easily the hardest followed closely by healing. DPS is cake. If you aren't hitting your dps checks then you are either bad at your class or don't have the gear yet.
10/24/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Warrgazm
10/24/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Greymerk
And conducting an orchestra is just waving a little wand around.

See what I mean. They are so full of them selfs they think it’s even close to conducting a orchestra.

No, all you are doing is your rotation. Rotating CDs and taunting. Nothing more than DPS have to deal with.

I think what he's referring to is the fact that there is a lot more to it than simply moving through their rotation. Buff uptime is much more important, you have to be aware of your position as well as the position of others in your group/raid and CD maintenance is much more important than for a dps.

It isn't hard to tank, you're absolutely right, but you're also describing a very poor tank as well.
Tanking isn't hard the OP is speaking the truth to that. There are some tanks that are currently not as hard to use than others with Warriors and Druids being on the low end of the totem pole but knowing your class and the limits you have can help you do well even as one of the bottom tier tanks.

However it seems someone got chewed out by a tank and ran to the forums to cry about it on a level 1 alt.
10/25/2018 06:00 AMPosted by Dartakan
10/25/2018 05:53 AMPosted by Iver
DPS on M+ is really no different from DPS in any other mode. Mechanics, situational awareness, and rotation. Tanks have to do the same things as DPS, in addition to routing, pulling, and pacing the dungeon. Learning dungeons and affixes honestly involves a lot more work as a tank than as a DPS

But none of those things are particularly hard(routing, pulling, and pacing), any tank with decent experience should be able to do them. On the other hand dps have a more complex rotation and die easier.

[/quote]

The learning curve is much steeper and much more punishing than any DPS learning curve, though. Learning how to pace a dungeon as a tank involves failing several M+ keys, dying a lot to test the limits of your pulls and/or group, and watching lots and lots of Youtube videos. Becoming a decently experienced tank is not as easy as you make it sound.
10/25/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Iver
The learning curve is much steeper and much more punishing than any DPS learning curve, though. Learning how to pace a dungeon as a tank involves failing several M+ keys, dying a lot to test the limits of your pulls and/or group, and watching lots and lots of Youtube videos. Becoming a decently experienced tank is not as easy as you make it sound.

I agree about the learning curve, but most of it is transferable from 1 expansion to another, there isn't much to improve once you learn the basic of tanking(pulling, cd usage, maintaining active mitigation, positioning etc).

You are over complicating it, an experience tank doesn't need to watch youtube videos o fail many keys to be good at m+.
10/24/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Warrgazm
I don’t understand why tanks feel so entitled. In my opinion DPS and healing is more harder and here is why.

All you are doing is a stupid taunt mechanic while getting carried by dps who have to meet hard dps checks while doing all the mechanics.

Tanking is just about mashing few buttons and taunting back and forth and just once in a while there is a mechanic you have to do that dps have to do anyways.

DPS and healing is "more harder"... sounds like an ignorant dps.

Let me go ahead and give you some insight to when I tank and my thoughts on what's harder.

I'm a prot paladin, here's my thoughts while I'm tanking:
- What is everyones health at (I use vuhdo)
- Who do I need to put sacrifice on / should I / what's the next ability coming
- What CD's do I have for my own health
- What CD's do I have for group health (meaning, should I pop something even though I'm 100% fine but to give the healer a safer chance to catch up the DPS standing in stuff.. because.. it's "more harder")
- Oh look DPS got a poison debuff again in Kings Rest which should I cleanse so not to overlap with healer since it's an 8 second CD for us both to cleanse all of you
- Where do I need to position the boss right now
- How far do I need to kite to accomodate the on the fly observation of DPS and how quickly they kill the gold globs in KR.
- Can I kite here or there safely without getting someone cleaved or causing LOS issues (either for the healer not seeing me or me forcing the healer to not be able to reach DPS)
- Do I cast my self heal or Lay on Hands on me or another person after the big group wide damage mechanic
- What is the healers mana at (before/during/after pull)
- What are the mechanics of every npc in every mob and every boss (The bleed from beserker is rough if I forget it's there)

That's about the jist of my pulls as a tank. I wish I got to just stand there and do nothing and it really does show the ignorance of someone that has never done anything other than dps to assume DPS is "more harder".

Hardest Roles (IMO):
- Healer (They watch everyone / cast on everyone / and watch all the same mechanics)
- Tanking (Same as healers but not as extreme. Depending on type of tank even less. As pally I have group kit, as my druid or something it's less group focused kit wise)
- DPS (Have to watch mechanics but 99% of you don't even know how to use your damage mitigation because the healer is keeping your ignorant butt alive or the tank is kiting in a weird way to force you to step a certain way)
10/24/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Ollin
10/24/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Duncon
If tanking is so easy then why am I more stressed about it than when I dps? I really don’t like to tank but will if needed.

Because you haven't spent enough time tanking to get comfortable with it.

How much time does someone need? I've tanked in Wrath, Cata, Mist, etc. Now BFA I still feel the same way. Some people probably like it. I don't but I try to help when needed but DPS is by far more comfortable no matter what DPS class I'm playing.
As someone who plays all the roles in most aspects of the game tanking is absolutely the easiest to do and has the last amount of things to manage.

Dps need to do their rotation properly while avoiding mechanics that are harder to deal with than tank mechanics.
Healers have to save bad players while avoiding those same mechanics.
Tanks have to do their rotation and face the boss in the right direction while avoiding less mechanics.

Edit: this said, of all roles dps by far seem to fail at doing their job correctly the most.
10/25/2018 07:01 AMPosted by Dartakan
10/25/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Iver

I agree about the learning curve, but most of it is transferable from 1 expansion to another, there isn't much to improve once you learn the basic of tanking(pulling, cd usage, maintaining active mitigation, positioning etc).

You are over complicating it, an experience tank doesn't need to watch youtube videos o fail many keys to be good at m+.

I dunno man, that really hasn't been my experience. It was all smooth sailing until +10, at which point I found that tolerance for mistakes went down dramatically.
Up to +10, it was enough to not make any mistakes to finish the keystone in time - but afterwards, I found that I had to really optimize pull sizes, minimize use of CC, and adopt unorthodox routes and skips to make certain dungeons on time.

I could no longer face tank the pull sizes I needed to finish keys in time without active mitigation, so I needed to learn to kite tank. I watched Youtube videos to learn what sort of pull sizes and routes other people around my gear level were able to contend with, and last week, I watched them to learn where people placed Sanguine pools.

Every week, I fail a couple dungeons in the first few days to get a grasp on the new affix combination. I learned this week that I have to take the bulk of the responsibility for explosive orbs because DPS switching completely kills their momentum. Bolstering forbids me from chain pulling and punishes overuse of CC, and it requires big pulls instead. I need to take the first few pulls to gauge the competency of my DPS, and then I can decide whether they can handle big pulls without bolstering too much. It's a lot to handle.

Meanwhile, on my mage, the only thing I do different is I save a frost nova for Spawns of G'Huun.
10/25/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Caelin

Wait.... DBM draws now!?!?!?! WHY AM I STILL USING BIGWIGS!