Shaman having Staves on their loot table.

Shaman
Is this a real thing? Because a few days ago I got a staff as an arena reward and quickly decided that it wasn't worth using so I d/e'd it. Well this week I finished my Warfront quest for a 370 piece on my alt shaman which has mostly 340/355 ilvl gear. To my surprise I got another staff.. And then, to top it off, I got a third staff that same night from queueing arenas, this time it was 360 with a socket.

So out of dismay and a bit of unhappiness with the loot I've been getting I decided to open a ticket. Yet in both situations the gm's are telling me that I'm just supposed to accept staves as regular shaman loot. In what universe do shaman ever choose to use a staff over a shield and 1h? I mean, maybe I can see this in pve where you wouldn't really care about armor. But considering I play the game for pvp, I would never in my right mind give up my shield for a 2h staff. And the fact that I'm getting this from warfronts and arena makes it even more vexing... like I get the fact you want to have rng loot, but seriously why give me something I won't use. Ever. Literally every other piece of my gear can be upgraded by this 370 piece and they give me a staff and tell me it's "acceptable shaman loot".

Can someone please explain?
You are mad you got an upgrade? Elemental and Resto Shamans can both use staves. The downside is you can't make the stats as optimized as you want, but you only need one piece of gear instead of two. There's no reason you shouldn't use that staff if your pieces are behind it.

Edit: and I guess you lose the armor of the shield as well. But not major imo. Look in your talents for swapping a spec, it will tell you what weapons you can use.
Side note: some players are picking the most optimized low ilvl gear because it makes your slightly more powerful with the scaling stuff.
10/27/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Squidey
You are mad you got an upgrade? Elemental and Resto Shamans can both use staves. The downside is you can't make the stats as optimized as you want, but you only need one piece of gear instead of two. There's no reason you shouldn't use that staff if your pieces are behind it.

Edit: and I guess you lose the armor of the shield as well. But not major imo. Look in your talents for swapping a spec, it will tell you what weapons you can use.
Side note: some players are picking the most optimized low ilvl gear because it makes your slightly more powerful with the scaling stuff.

Mad? Not quite. Unhappy? Sure. Especially when you wait a whole week to do one quest that rewards what should be an upgrade and it turns out to not be. Can I get a stat upgrade from wearing a staff? Sure. Will it help me in PvP at all, the only part of the game I subscribe to WoW to play? No. Losing 11% physical damage reduction in PvP to wear a staff sounds like a stupid idea when half the teams want to swap to me on a trinket and try to kill me in a stun. So no, it's not an upgrade.

Edit, oh and here's what my talent's tell me about what weapons to use for my spec:

https://i.imgur.com/KmvdDTE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WtjOwgL.jpg

See, even Blizzard agrees with me. Mace, Dagger and Shield. No mention of use of a Staff, because since when have shaman actually used staves?
We definitely shouldn't be getting Staves but for some reason we do. Feels bad.
With everything going on with this class. Why doesn't Blizzard just remove Shamans and be done with the hole mess that is their existence? Wouldn't that be easier?
I can get the idea of rather having a shield or 1hd drop for you over a staff but this is not a new thing. We have always been able to use them and they were always on our loot tables.
Are you new to Shaman or something? We've had staffs as a thing for us since Vanilla. Get with the program.
10/27/2018 06:42 PMPosted by Skychaserr
I can get the idea of rather having a shield or 1hd drop for you over a staff but this is not a new thing. We have always been able to use them and they were always on our loot tables.

Been able to use and actually use are two different things.
10/28/2018 03:24 AMPosted by Bootybutts

This is specifically a 'you' issue. A Shaman doing PvE would jump in joy if they got to upgrade two slots with a single drop. It happens to everyone in WoW, everyone who does PvE knows what it's like to get an Azerite piece with higher ilvl which has !@#$ traits and is competing with your only reorigination piece. That's what you signed up for on an RNG game tbh.
I dont PVP much, but I agree that having a staff on the loot table for PVP reward is just slipshod design.
10/28/2018 04:24 AMPosted by Orangesilk

This is specifically a 'you' issue. A Shaman doing PvE would jump in joy if they got to upgrade two slots with a single drop. It happens to everyone in WoW, everyone who does PvE knows what it's like to get an Azerite piece with higher ilvl which has !@#$ traits and is competing with your only reorigination piece. That's what you signed up for on an RNG game tbh.

My first 340 weapon was a stave and I can assure you that I did not jump for joy.
As someone who has been playing a Shaman since 2005, to this day I abhor staves and the fact they are on the loot table. Yeah, sometimes they are a nice upgrade in critical stats, but why am I the only class that has to give up some defensive capability for that?
10/27/2018 04:34 PMPosted by Dinothunder
We definitely shouldn't be getting Staves but for some reason we do. Feels bad.

I got a staff from Uldir and I was quite disappointed. Not down with losing over 10% physical mitigation. Of course if we had Master Looter like we use to I would have passed the staff to a cloth caster. I wanted a 1h Shield. There is no upside anymore to using a staff like there use to be years ago when staffs did more damage do to higher stats.
They're perfectly fine in PvE. One of our current BiS weapons is a staff. If you personally don't like em, there are lots of other options available. Personally, I'm super glad to have more flexibility this time around. I missed staves being viable!
10/28/2018 04:24 AMPosted by Orangesilk
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Well when you point to me with the words 'you issue', it actually encompasses more than just "me". It encompasses the entire shaman PvP community, so it's more than just me throwing some individual fit about it. And I'm not sorry if my response to having this happen to me literally 3 times in a few days (twice in the same day) was to do more than just sit back and not say something about it.

Legendary Firelands staff says HHHIIIIIIIIII.

And yes. I knew Ele Shaman that used it.
10/27/2018 03:34 PMPosted by Bootybutts
See, even Blizzard agrees with me. Mace, Dagger and Shield. No mention of use of a Staff, because since when have shaman actually used staves?

I used one in Classic because I got one off kazzak and another off the dragons of nightmare and one of them had mp/5 on it...

That said, pvp is really the only place where I'd consider using one a downgrade if it was more stats than my 1h/shield combo.

Personally I prefer the 1h/shield combo, but in pve you're not going to see me complain if I get Fetids staff (again) anytime soon.

So anyway. for OP, I can agree that I don't think the arena boxes should be awarding staves (because shields are that much better for pvp), for anyone else griping about them for pve...whatever. it's just not likely they'll split the loot tables and honestly, getting 1 good 2h is way easier than getting 2 good 1h given RNG loot.
10/29/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Twisp
I used one in Classic because I got one off kazzak and another off the dragons of nightmare and one of them had mp/5 on it...

And staffs use to do more damage because they had more stats in classic.
We've always had staves but the iconic look for a ele or resto shaman is one hander/shield. The shield also increases our survivability.

Don't get me started on pants vs kilts.....
kilts are obviously the only way to go