Playing the Classic Demo

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
UPDATE: We've extended the demo another week!

UPDATE: The playtime limits on the WoW Classic demo have now been removed. Enjoy!

---

When the World of Warcraft: Classic demo becomes available to play at home on Friday, November 2, we will ensure maximum availability to players at home by initially establishing session limits.

When the demo goes live, we’ll use a playtime time limit and a cooldown (that starts when you first log in) to help as many people as possible play the Classic demo as much as possible. We’ll start with a playtime limit of a cumulative 60 minutes and a cooldown of 90 minutes. Here are some examples of how that might work:

• If you play for 30 minutes and then log off for 60 minutes, when you come back you’ll have a fresh 60 minutes.
• If you play for 60 minutes, you’ll be disconnected and then have to wait 30 minutes before you can play again.
• If you play for 20 minutes, log off for 20 minutes, then play 40 more minutes, you’ll be logged off and wait 10 more minutes.

Our goal is to lift session limits as quickly as we feasibly can after the demo goes live. We will then only reinstate session limits if unexpectedly high demand returns.

We will update this post with further information on this, as necessary.

Thank you!
Sweet! Thanks for the details.
Awesome!
I'm sure this will be received well.
If blizzard reduces the restrictions after the first day, then this isn't that bad. If these restrictions are in place for a few days, these restrictions suck.
It makes sense. It depends on demand.
I think you’re underestimating demand. :)
We’ll start with a playtime limit of a cumulative 60 minutes and a cooldown of 90 minutes.

• If you play for 60 minutes, you’ll be disconnected and then have to wait 30 minutes before you can play again.

Huh? So basically, you are given a "90 minute session" of which are you only able to play 60 minutes in that session. If I'm understanding this you could optimally have up to 16 sessions available to you in day, which would allow at the most up to 16 hours of game play if you no life it.
11/01/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Petrolsk
We’ll start with a playtime limit of a cumulative 60 minutes and a cooldown of 90 minutes.

Huh?

The cooldown starts the second you login.
11/01/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Taselia
I'm sure this will be received well.
I paid less money for Classic WOW in 2004 and got to play it for more than an hour.
What about queues? Are you just dumping x 1000s of people into a zone at once and booting them in 60. You make it seem like we'll be able to play 60 of every 90, but if there is a 8 hour queue waiting on others to play then you really are playing 60 every 9 hours. Which still would be fine, just doesn't feel like the post is a complete picture.
11/01/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Petrolsk

Huh? So basically, you are given a "90 minute session" of which are you only able to play 60 minutes in that session. If I'm understanding this you could optimally have up to 16 sessions available to you in day, which would allow at the most up to 16 hours of game play if you no life it.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. The game is divided up into 90 minute segments and you have 60 minutes of play time for each 90 minute segment. The "cumulative" obviously means cumulative within that 90 minute segment as the went on the give examples of that. The whole point of the restricted time is so that more people can play without the servers crashing or extremely long login queue times.
Anyway, not that terrible of a restriction. Waiting for that 30 minutes will hype you for the next 60 lol... Will probably be lifted though after maybe 2-3 days once most people get their nostalgia fix and are done with it.
11/01/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Sarcasmic
I paid less money for Classic WOW in 2004 and got to play it for more than an hour.

You’re not paying for the demo. You’re paying for a virtual ticket and the demo is a gift.

Also it’s a demo. Not beta or alpha. It has time limits
Can I buy a FastPass and eliminate the cooldown?
Just don't have amoebas sign on and you won't have capacity issues. They'll log on, say classic sucks, then go back to sitting around in Borealous.
When people realize it takes 60 min of play time to grind 3 copper in Vanilla, theres gonna be some unhappy campers here lol.
11/01/2018 12:33 PMPosted by Loh
Just don't have amoebas sign on and you won't have capacity issues. They'll log on, say classic sucks, then go back to sitting around in Borealous.

Yeah, this kind of trolling should be an immediate and permanent ban from the demo so we don't get stuck waiting to play because of trolls clogging up servers.
11/01/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Sarcasmic

lmao I love this. Preach.