Take A Stand Against Sharding

Classic Discussion
Blizzard is seriously considering adding in sharding, each and everyone of us needs to make it clear that this cannot be allowed to happen. The adverse affects on community, and the Vanilla experience would be catastrophic.

Blizzard is trying to justify that it would make the launch experience better, but that's not what the Classic Base wants. Launch filled with mob competition and lag is just a part of the Vanilla experience, and they fail to understand that fact.

They're out of touch right now with Classic. It shouldn't be hard to recognize the damage that sharding would deal to the Classic experience.

There is no real justification to add it in. Server lag shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean dinky private servers can handle 15k people on at the same time, why cant multi-million dollar blizzard servers do the same?

If they're going to add in unwanted features that harm the experience, then why play Classic? I'd be more pressed to play a private server in this case if its going to give me Vanilla. The blizzard security argument can only go so far.

We all need to be loud and voice that sharding will not be acceptable in Classic. Personally I wouldn't play Classic if sharding is implemented, and I can't be the only one who feels the same. All we want and have wanted is Vanilla, not reskinned legion.
It’s pretty sad when your player base is older, more mature, and understands game design better than the six-figure-making silicon valley kids running this pie show.
Priv servers ftw
Yes please don't add sharding so you can sit at the server down screen more than you can sit in game.
11/03/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Warkry
Yes please don't add sharding so you can sit at the server down screen more than you can sit in game.

Better that when you get into the game you can actually see the other people in the game.
It's basically everything classic players play private servers for lol.
i think you should wait until the Q and A before you bother with anything surely someone will mention sharding.
Seems even the genre defining MMO devs kill off their MMO. Massively Multiplayer online became 5-10 man these days... with NPCs

Catering to solo players for sub money is not a good move...
I'd rather deal with occasional server issues than play an MMO game without people

That didn't happen nearly to the extent people say. Yes, there were laggy times, yes occasionally there would be a server that crashed and was brought up after a little while. These problems will be vastly lessened by today's superior servers, PCs, and broadband connections.

I used to support the idea of limited sharding on opening, I thought it would be a minor intrusion at worst, and have major benefits to the launch. After watching several streams of the demo, I'm seeing that is absolutely not the case. Every time it happens, it completely takes the streamer and me completely out of it, breaking the spell.

This system has no place in Classic. I'm going to have to think on my acceptance of what I thought were inevitable minor UI changes that wouldn't impact gameplay at all.
Server Community is the rock on which Vanilla was built. Sharding completely undermines that foundation.

No Sharding!