What if the new game engine is just better?

Classic Discussion
I was watching this video, and at some point the streamer tries to pin down what feels different about the character movement in Classic as opposed to vanilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv1n0SjGqpo

He basically concludes that the modern game engine is more responsive to his commands to move his character than the Vanilla game client was. Obviously, you would normally consider that to be a GOOD thing, but in this context it does seem to result in the game feeling different than Vanilla.

Similarly, I've heard that mobs react differently than they did in Vanilla, but no one seems to be saying that the mobs' reaction time in Classic is off in any way. To the contrary, the mobs seem to be reacting in a proper way in the streams I've seen. Also, in that video, the streamer gets the graphics looking more Vanilla-like by just turning down the video settings on his Classic client. Indicating that the new graphics' high settings are better than those in Vanilla.

I guess I'm wondering whether these are valid complaints- that things normally associated with improvements in game design should be considered a negative in this context. Moreover, assuming that they are considered negatives by some, should they really be considered deal-breakers?
11/03/2018 11:51 AMPosted by Khalissa
I guess I'm wondering whether these are valid complaints- that things normally associated with improvements in game design should be considered a negative in this context. Moreover, assuming that they are considered negatives by some, should they really be considered deal-breakers?

That entire paragraph is full of passive voice. What is an improvement is an individual decision. What is a deal-breaker is an individual decision.

I'm personally unlikely to decide whether to play or not to play based on anything to do with character movement (inappropriate health/mana regeneration, yes), but I have to frown at what looks like a way of passive-aggressively saying, "If this matters to you, it shouldn't; stop feeling like that."
He needs to type /console ffxglow 0 and also go into "Lighting" and put it on "Low". It removes quite a bit of the unnatural glow on stuff.
i think that the whole reason that they're porting classic to the new engine instead of upgrading the vanilla engine is so that they can more easily have all the security features that they want the game to have, and so that they won't exactly have to manage two different game engines, which is what they meant by managing 2 MMOs
All of these "improvements" made on Vanilla are how you ended up with a terrible current game. It is a way safer option for Classic to not even go there.
11/03/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Tarregor
i think that the whole reason that they're porting classic to the new engine instead of upgrading the vanilla engine is so that they can more easily have all the security features that they want the game to have, and so that they won't exactly have to manage two different game engines, which is what they meant by managing 2 MMOs

Has nothing to do with security. It's borne out of laziness. Why bother bringing up the v1.12.1 build up to compatibility with the modern server code when you can just use the modern client and overlay a vanilla-like rule set?

See also: Diablo: Immortal. Outsourced to a third-party Chinese company, and is nothing more than a reskin of one of their existing Diablo clone titles.
Here's the thing. Let's say that I wanted a sandwich.

There was this old great deli in the town where I grew up. Doesn't exist anymore. Got bought out by a new owner and over the course of five or ten years the new management ran it into the ground. (This isn't an analogy for Blizzard, though you can read that into it if you want, this is an actual thing that happened.)

Let's say that the new owners reopened it and promised me a sandwich just like they used to be. I go there and buy a new sandwich, expecting it to be the same as it was. Let's say I ordered turkey and pickles on wheat (which is what I always ordered back in the day). I am served some sort of rotisserie-fusion turkey with garlic jalepeno pickles on organic stone-ground wheat bread.

This is, technically, the thing I ordered; it's turkey and pickles on wheat bread. The ingredients are, by modern standards, considered to be superior to the original ingredients; they're certainly fancier and more expensive.

But despite that, it is very obviously not the same sandwich that I ordered or the same sandwich that I expected.

Whether or not the replacements are 'better' isn't the point. Different people will have differing opinions on that. What it most unquestionably is is different. And it is different for the sake of being different. Not for any requirement, not because they were incapable of getting the original kind, but just because it is different and they thought it was better. Better isn't the point. We don't want it to be better. We want the sandwich we ordered.