Lol, Blizzard's Own Site Mentions Kul'Tiran Mages

General Discussion
11/06/2018 02:58 AMPosted by Deke
11/06/2018 02:56 AMPosted by Tadkins
lightning paladin

Next hero class please.

Enhancement Shaman really isn't that far from that. xD
Sucks when the company that writes the lore doesn't know their lore.
11/06/2018 01:45 AMPosted by Jerauld
Don't be silly, Jaina is a Shaman.

The Jaina angle doesn't work - I can at least agree to what the OP posted, but the Jaina thing has been defeated. You can have the aptitude yes but not the training.
11/06/2018 03:56 AMPosted by Kazecap
The Jaina angle doesn't work - I can at least agree to what the OP posted, but the Jaina thing has been defeated. You can have the aptitude yes but not the training.

And you can get the training by leaving Kul Tiras and coming back later. It's also not a huge stretch to assume they built a school there eventually, since Jaina first left a long time ago.
11/06/2018 01:56 AMPosted by Haruhi
Well, the whole leveling zones own Blizzard.
I mean you are fighting with a bunch of KT ice/water mages from 110-120.
10 whole levels of fighting them, in open area and the Shrine instance.
Then suddenly, Blizzard says KT can't be mages even though their 3x decades old lore says that the elves shared knowledge of the arcane to all the human races hundreds of years ago.

So...Is KT even human or nah?
Either the elves never taught human race magic or KT isn't part of the human race.
Then wtf is Jaina?

AFAIK those tide sages are closer to shaman than mages. Jaina left KT to study magic at Dalaran.

It does seem like they've retconned out the Tol Barad connection.
Just because there are a few Kul Tiras mages doesn't mean the general population should be able to be one. Maybe its just a rare few that are able to teach themselves the magic, and that small group is not big enough to justify every kul tiras person to be able to be one.
11/06/2018 04:34 AMPosted by Juuhachigou
Maybe its just a rare few that are able to teach themselves the magic

And the player would be one of them.

There are like ... what... 50 demon hunters in lore?

How many Void Elves are there total?

How many Nightborne warlocks?

How many Night Elf mages?

How many monks period?

These are small subsets of the population with lore backing. Kul Tiran mages have plenty of lore backing both past and present.

And frankly, Paladins too.
It would not make sense! I mean Jaina is a mage and they hated her and banned mages like witches! Burned them all at the stake!
The lore is all over the place, They really need to have a better grip on it from a dev standpoint i think.
Its easy to say there is not enough of them, but it also has to be at least thoughtfully reflected in game. A single NPC that is not the norm is ok, but it does seem like there is at least a big enough collection to not be to rare for a player class. If they want to keep class number balance for each side, that is good but i do not think its worth throwing other things off for.
As it can be corrected latter on and only really has a minor effect on the game over everything else.
I haven't paid any attention to what's coming, new races or any of that. If Zandalari Trolls can be paladins it makes sense Kul Tiran can be shaman to keep the shaman paladin thing even. So in the next expansion Kul Tiran should be able to be mages. Maybe even sooner, just guessing of course.
Sigh...

It isnt that Kul'tirans cant be Mages.

It is that they dont really have an area that teaches and practices the arcane arts.They focus upon a more spiritual aspect of water and ice.

That's why Jaina was sent off to Dalaran to learn. Likely other Kul'tiran as well in history were spent.

That means Kul'Tiras itself would NOT have Mage that are selected from them. You can just RP a stormwind human mage that comes from kul'tiras or something.
11/06/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Eleroleron
Sigh...

It isnt that Kul'tirans cant be Mages.

It is that they dont really have an area that teaches and practices the arcane arts.They focus upon a more spiritual aspect of water and ice.

That's why Jaina was sent off to Dalaran to learn. Likely other Kul'tiran as well in history were spent.

That means Kul'Tiras itself would NOT have Mage that are selected from them. You can just RP a stormwind human mage that comes from kul'tiras or something.
And yet we have references to Tirassian mages ranging from WC2 to Cata, twice as part of the navy working under Daelin.
I gotta ask, why do people care about this so much? The Zandalari needed to be paladins because Horde only had two pally races. If you want to play a human mage, you can do that already.

High Elves went to Dalaran to train ergo they don't have magic in Silvermoon.

10/10
11/06/2018 02:48 AMPosted by Sterly
11/06/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Tadkins

Shamans do make sense for them. They're a bit more...naturalistic than other humans. Hence the druid class as well.

Though they definitely *should* have mages too.

By that logic worgen should have shamans too. And yet they don't, because there is no worgen NPC portrayed as using abilities comparable to those of shamans.

Presumably it was meant to represent the drustvar witches, but that's a pretty huge stretch. Being able to hex people, maybe, but nothing else really fits. Warlock would probably be a better fit there. At any rate, the drustvar witches are not a friendly faction. There's the thornspeakers, however, who are friendly as far as I'm aware, and who are very neatly represented by druids.

Likewise, if it's an attempt to represent tidesages by drawing the connection between resto shamans and their water magic to what the tidesages do, that's even more of a stretch. There are no offensive water-themed spells for resto shamans, and tidesages are almost invariably shown using abilities found in the frost mage playbook more than anyone else's.

So... where are the shamans coming from, and what exactly are they meant to be representing?

Have you tried warfronts? That and wailing caverns have druids using lightning bolt. A shaman spell xD and hex.
Part of me wants to think they will add them before the path releases. They don't really need to make any new animations since Druids and Shaman and Priests have similar casting animations to Mages.
11/06/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Mythlor

High Elves went to Dalaran to train ergo they don't have magic in Silvermoon.

10/10

Are all Alliance players generally this thick in the head?

That is your reasoning? Wow....
The class restrictions are the way they are to make the Alliance and Horde have equal possibilities across the board.

Whether or not that's good, I dunno. Seems weird to me that Kul'Tirans can't be paladins or mages.

And if class/race balance is so important, why not give the Horde a few more choices and then let Kul'Tirans be pallies and mages.
11/06/2018 06:35 AMPosted by Terranox
That and wailing caverns have druids using lightning bolt. A shaman spell xD and hex.

Those are druids of the fang. Which, I personally would love to shapeshift as a snek, but just like the Grimtotem Tauren Rogues, it'll never happen.
It's because Kul Tirans don't have phones.