Lol, Blizzard's Own Site Mentions Kul'Tiran Mages

General Discussion
11/06/2018 02:48 AMPosted by Sterly
Presumably it was meant to represent the drustvar witches, but that's a pretty huge stretch. Being able to hex people, maybe, but nothing else really fits.

The shamans are because of all the tidesages, which are established as quite important in Kul Tiras.

The lack of mage is however perplexing, they should drop monk or priest for mage.
I actually thought it was a joke when they said Kultirans cant be mages. Makes no sense at all.
11/06/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Talvish
I actually thought it was a joke when they said Kultirans cant be mages. Makes no sense at all.

It makes a lot of sense....

Why would they send away their own to study as mages if they had the facilities and capability in Kul'tiras?
Not letting them be mages was a very odd choice, when it is very clear in game that they can be mages.
11/06/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Eleroleron
Are all Alliance players generally this thick in the head?

Why do you gotta be like that, man?
11/06/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Eleroleron

Why would they send away their own to study as mages if they had the facilities and capability in Kul'tiras?

But there are tons of Kul’tiran mages in game, be it from the WarCraft games to the ones on Tol Barad and the many mages you encounter throughout the zones/dungeons.

The assumption that every single spellcaster from Kul’tiras had to study elsewhere is absurd.

The example with Jaina is different. Yes, she was sent away, but she was also the princess. Turns out, it’s not uncommon to send rich kids to Ivy League schools.

I mean, Anduin studied in the Exodar while becoming a priest.

That is your reasoning? Wow....

10/10 response to a reasonable counterexample.

Want more?

What's the basis for Orc Mages? They learned from other members of the Horde. There's no reason why, assuming Kul Tirans have zero magical knowledge as you imply, can't do the same. Given that "Mage" is a basic archetype the equivalent of Warrior, if you can cast spells like you can swing a sword, you can be a mage.

That is your reasoning? Wow....

10/10 response to a reasonable counterexample.

Want more?

What's the basis for Orc Mages? They learned from other members of the Horde. There's no reason why, assuming Kul Tirans have zero magical knowledge as you imply, can't do the same. It's an arbitrary restriction, especially since "Mage" is the equivalent of "Warrior" in just how basic it is. If you can cast spells, you can be a mage.

LBRS has many orc Mages and Priests. They must have learned that from their home planet.
11/06/2018 01:45 AMPosted by Jerauld
Don't be silly, Jaina is a Shaman.

Nah she's a mage, you can tell from how she had to leave Kul'tiras altogether to study in dalaran to become one
11/06/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Mythlor
11/06/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Eleroleron

That's why Jaina was sent off to Dalaran to learn. Likely other Kul'tiran as well in history were spent.

High Elves went to Dalaran to train ergo they don't have magic in Silvermoon.

10/10

lol what? There wouldn't be a dalaran without high/blood elves, they taught the humans arcane magic in the first place
They need to remove monks.

Give Kul'tirans Mages and Zandalari warlocks.

Monks make absolutely no sense for those races, specially Zandalari.

All the nobles did that, sending their children to Dalaran in lore... considering Jaina studied with Kael himself, you'd think anyone would drop their child for an opportunity like that.

11/06/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Sy
The class restrictions are the way they are to make the Alliance and Horde have equal possibilities across the board.

Whether or not that's good, I dunno. Seems weird to me that Kul'Tirans can't be paladins or mages.

And if class/race balance is so important, why not give the Horde a few more choices and then let Kul'Tirans be pallies and mages.

The funnyb thing is, they let the Horde have more class/race combos from cataclysm up to legion. Guess Balance was not so important when it favored the Horde.
Kul Tiras in WC2 had mages.
Kul Tiras in WC3 had an arcane sanctum and sorceresses, while specifically not having dwarven riflemen or the like.
Also Jaina, and Dalaran is not the sole source of magical knowledge.

Kul Tiras is all about boats and water and such, and mages that can manipulate these things would obviously be handy, right? It would also be pretty easy for the merchant nation sailing around the world to at least find a few tomes on magic in their travels, right?

But nah, let's also lock out the class capable of pretending to be tidesages and such with a pet water elemental. Shamans using earth, fire, wind, lightning, etc. are much more immersive to this idea.
11/06/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Maizou
From Reddit:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/pvp/battlegrounds/tol-barad

What remained of the blackened, derelict battlements was left to languish until the wizards of Kul Tiras claimed the isle for a new purpose. Towering walls were again stacked high from the war-scarred stones, but in their cleverness, the arcanists turned the citadel’s defenses inward, designing a mystical prison to hold the most powerful criminals.

I found this rather hilarious, on top of the plethora of other sources of Kul'Tiran Mages already in game. (The Fire Mages in Tol Dagor, the Ashvane Mages all over Kul'Tiras, Jaina, etc.)

That is pretty funny.

All the arguments I see against the inclusion of Kul Tiran mages requires a bizarre amount of mental gymnastics and still fall woefully short of making any sense.
11/06/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Tadkins
11/06/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Sterly
Ayyy they can be shamans now, for no reason.

Shamans do make sense for them. They're a bit more...naturalistic than other humans. Hence the druid class as well.

Though they definitely *should* have mages too.

Nah, a Tidesage is just a really crummy Mage that hasn't figured out how to freeze water. They are not Shaman, and it does not make sense.

Appeasing to the broadest range of players though does help them make money, so Shaman makes sense......

Why would the high elves send away their own to Dalaran if they had the facilities and capability in Silvermoon?

That's all the one guy was trying to point out, that you can use the same logic that you use for Kul Tirans on the elves.

The Tol Barad thing is quite amusing because the lore of it has always been "Kul Tiran Magical Prison."
at the end of the day it's dumb.

add in that DK can't be any of these things, and my eyes just roll right out of my face.

help meh find them.
I hate the argument "jaina leftttt"
OK yes she left but what is really stopping her from being the teacher?

If they can write in a random race (VE) with little lore, they can write in jaina taking on some KT mages and honestly during a war it'd be a smart move to up the ranks and get a few more mages.
11/06/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Sacarver
If they can write in a random race (VE) with little lore, they can write in jaina taking on some KT mages and honestly during a war it'd be a smart move to up the ranks and get a few more mages.

It would make a ton of sense if the first thing Jaina did as Lord Admiral was use the Proudmoore Academy which is attached to her house and train mages there.

She was training mages in Theramore also.
Tide Sages are clearly Priests. Watery Priests for sure, but Priests nonetheless. They use their faith to guide ships, etc.

They also got all Old-God-Whisper-y and freaky, so...
Ithis is Lore going down the toilet with the devs having nobody to ask about the lore. Since Metzen left it has been lorelol

Of course kts have to be mages it is like saying warriors can t be female its idiotic.

Just wait for the stealth nerf and removal of text from that page like they did with the KT page where mages were mentioned

3 days of constant threads and still silence because derp