Darkshore open world update

Story Forum
11/07/2018 12:02 AMPosted by Ximothy
Aman is from Vanilla WoW. Not sure what you mean by "getting", dude has been around as long as WoW itself has.

I think he refering to Star Craft 2, where "Aman" was the name of the villian god in the game. So a name recycle from an other franchise.
11/06/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Braywick
RIP, furbolgs. Next to the NEs, you too have been kicked to the dirt..

if i have to bet i would say they they go into a frenzy, again.

Press F for the Furbolgs.
11/07/2018 12:09 AMPosted by Hortonn
11/07/2018 12:02 AMPosted by Ximothy
Aman is from Vanilla WoW. Not sure what you mean by "getting", dude has been around as long as WoW itself has.

I think he refering to Star Craft 2, where "Aman" was the name of the villian god in the game. So a name recycle from an other franchise.

It's Amon, and that's a reference to mythology about Devil-like entities. Aman most likely gets his name from Aman'thul, who is not inspired by devil-like entities.

There's also a siginficent gap of the two character's name first appearing, about nine years. Aman appearing in WoW 2004 and Amon appearing in Starcraft in 2013.

It's not a name recycle, those two seem entirely unrelated to one another aside from being similar names. I cannot buy that Aman or Amon are supposed to have 'recycled' their name from one another when the source of their name seems entirely unrelated to one another.
11/06/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Galenorn
I almost don't even have the heart to go look. I saw all the deforestation and blight in previews of the Warfront, and it hurt.

Horde filth, ruining my aesthetic.
This is where I really sympathize with you. Every race needs a zone that fully embraces what that race is. Orcs have their harsh, inhospitable desert because they are a tough and hearty people. Night elves had their lush forests because they revered nature.

I feel certain night elves will get darkshore back by the end of the expansion, though.
11/07/2018 12:09 AMPosted by Hortonn
I think he refering to Star Craft 2, where "Aman" was the name of the villian god in the game. So a name recycle from an other franchise

Nah it was a joke. He's a guy called Aman. A man.
11/07/2018 01:57 AMPosted by Galenar
Nah it was a joke. He's a guy called Aman. A man

Ah okay.

Blizz does seem to like the name Aman though. Aman'thul, Zul'Aman, Amani.

11/07/2018 01:54 AMPosted by Treng
This is where I really sympathize with you. Every race needs a zone that fully embraces what that race is. Orcs have their harsh, inhospitable desert because they are a tough and hearty people. Night elves had their lush forests because they revered nature.

I actually agree.

I feel like Darkshore and Silverpine should've been kept aside for the Night elves and Undead to keep a zone that represents them best.
11/06/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Galenorn
I almost don't even have the heart to go look. I saw all the deforestation and blight in previews of the Warfront, and it hurt.

Horde filth, ruining my aesthetic.

I feel certain night elves will get darkshore back by the end of the expansion, though.

11/07/2018 02:10 AMPosted by Ximothy
11/07/2018 01:57 AMPosted by Galenar
Nah it was a joke. He's a guy called Aman. A man

Ah okay.

Blizz does seem to like the name Aman though. Aman'thul, Zul'Aman, Amani.

I actually agree.

I feel like Darkshore and Silverpine should've been kept aside for the Night elves and Undead to keep a zone that represents them best.

Darkshore is literally broken in half with it's only town being destroyed, and the replacement for that one being blighted. It's not coming back, nor should it, really. There will be reconstruction efforts, but the heart of the Night Elves lies in Ashenvale- lies in the climb to Hyjal. Literally 5 zones they could be moved into, heck even Feralas if we are talking desperation terms, but Blizz simply refuses to acknowledge Night Elf pride or heritage.
This is where I really sympathize with you. Every race needs a zone that fully embraces what that race is.

BfA really just has me in a weird place. On one hand, I... struggle to understand people who continue to pay a monthly sub to be party to actual, described-as-such-in-game genocide. On the other, I sympathize, because BfA is taking us all for a ride we didn't ask for. Just depends what kind of mood you catch me in.
11/07/2018 03:13 AMPosted by Galenorn
I... struggle to understand people who continue to pay a monthly sub to be party to actual, described-as-such-in-game genocide.
Playing video games and enjoying video games in which you portray an evil character does not make you an evil person. I don't believe DiF is some psychopath despite enjoying one of the bar none most evil people in Azeroth's entire history. It can be fun to play the villain. There's a video about that topic that Matt Colville put out somewhat recently. I feel you might take something from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVuF4fkRD2c

But if not, no big deal. I understand if you don't want to watch it.
On the other, I sympathize, because BfA is taking us all for a ride we didn't ask for
Yup. Not even the hardcore pro-Sylvanas Forsaken players are getting everything they want.
Playing video games and enjoying video games in which you portray an evil character does not make you an evil person. I don't believe DiF is some psychopath despite enjoying one of the bar none most evil people in Azeroth's entire history. It can be fun to play the villain. There's a video about that topic that Matt Colville put out somewhat recently. I feel you might take something from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVuF4fkRD2c

But if not, no big deal. I understand if you don't want to watch it.

I'll take a look at it when I get home from work. But no, I wasn't meaning the behind-the-screen Horde player was evil (except the handful arguing burning Teldrassil was justified, or even just enjoyable). More that I meant I remember Thrall's Horde (and the half-second of Vol'jin's Horde), and it... escapes me sometimes how being painted morally pitch black from that much lighter grey base, and being made to go along with it, can be seen as content worth paying for.

11/07/2018 03:17 AMPosted by Treng
Yup. Not even the hardcore pro-Sylvanas Forsaken players are getting everything they want.

I guess it depends which subset of Sylvanas fans. The "My Tragic Antihero" fans are definitely disappointed. But the more "Blight! Blight! Blight! DEATH TO LIVING!" fans are loving this. Though the hints about what Sylvanas is up to makes me feel like they're about to get a whole barrel of monkey paws.
11/07/2018 03:52 AMPosted by Galenorn
and it... escapes me sometimes how being painted morally pitch black from that much lighter grey base, and being made to go along with it, can be seen as content worth paying for.
I was unsubbed until I fell for the ghosty pirate ship hook, line, and sinker. For all everyone attributes honor to me, I am by far and away a larger fan of spooky tropes and stories.
11/07/2018 03:52 AMPosted by Galenorn
But the more "Blight! Blight! Blight! DEATH TO LIVING!" fans are loving this.
But they know Sylvanas is being replaced. And by someone they hate. Be it Thrall or Saurfang.
This is where I really sympathize with you. Every race needs a zone that fully embraces what that race is.

BfA really just has me in a weird place. On one hand, I... struggle to understand people who continue to pay a monthly sub to be party to actual, described-as-such-in-game genocide. On the other, I sympathize, because BfA is taking us all for a ride we didn't ask for. Just depends what kind of mood you catch me in.

For me personally? it's a combination of one, being a Warhammer fan where I participated in a universe where far darker then this happened at the behest of the good guys, and two being Vietnamese were acts like this were committed by North AND South Vietnam on the regular. In the same way that PAVN had people who would not agree with Dak Son, ARVN had people who would not agree with My Lai, it doesn't ruin the aesthetic of my character to fight under a leader who commits atrocious war crimes.

People fight for their countries whether they like their leaders or not, whether they agree with it's actions or not, because to do otherwise is to put one at the mercy of foreign powers. I do not personally have any beef with the Kal'dorei, I do not view their genocide as anything but evil, but I and by extension my character am unwilling to retread this civil war plot to put the Forsaken at the mercy of humanity. Enough happened from Vanilla, to Cata, to Before the Storm to convince us both that nothing good would come out of such an arrangement.

At that point it's not a matter of loyalty, it's a matter of defending what a person cares about. It's not immersion breaking for my character to be party these acts or to choose Sylvanas because what's the alternative? Spill Forsaken blood for the sake of an old Horde that not only was never our identity, but more then once actively tried to kill us? That's not a choice at all.

It's not palatable, but most things in life aren't.
11/07/2018 12:29 AMPosted by Rendford

Press F for the Furbolgs.

Unfortunately, your respects drive the Furbolgs into a frenzy.

In other news, the Twilights, huh? Didn't think they'd get too involved. Kinda surprise they're still kickin so much. I feel like they're becoming the new Scarlet Crusade.
11/07/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Hackbrew
I feel like they're becoming the new Scarlet Crusade.

Implying the Scarlet Crusade are gone.
11/07/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Hackbrew
In other news, the Twilights, huh? Didn't think they'd get too involved. Kinda surprise they're still kickin so much. I feel like they're becoming the new Scarlet Crusade.

I think it's just to give the zone more variety of enemies to fight besides Forsaken, just like how Arathi still has Syndicate, Ogre, and Witherbark troll presence.
11/07/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Rendford
I think it's just to give the zone more variety of enemies to fight besides Forsaken, just like how Arathi still has Syndicate, Ogre, and Witherbark troll presence.

That makes sense. They did play a pretty major role back in Cata Darkshore questing. And I was pleasantly surprised to see them. It definitely does liven the atmosphere up. Adds a bit more color other than Forsaken neon green and Night Elven forest green.

They just keep cropping up though. They must have a hell of a recruitment team.
11/06/2018 11:38 PMPosted by Hortonn
Do you got any screenshots by chance?

This morning I do.
https://imgur.com/a/kDBTb1B

Disclaimer the skybox is broken right now so I drank a night potion to simulate it. This means the lighting in the shots isn't 1:1 how it will be when live.
That Forsaken navy sure looks not blown up.

It's almost like the Horde had one of the most powerful navel forces on Azeroth even after the surprise attack on Stormheim and they could just combo themselves with the Zuldazar fleet at half strength and still do absurd damage.

Mind you, i'm not saying this isn't anymore absurd then say, the Vindicaar just not showing up at all. I'm glad it's at least there.
Glad there's worgen around, even if it's in small compacity.

As much as I like seeing the night elves out in full force, it'd be boring to only fight night elves in Darkshore.