Monthly Active Users Are Down By 7M

General Discussion
11/09/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Bessie
This is an overall number. 352M down to 345M monthly active users (MAUs) for Activision/Blizzard in the last quarter. The person in this news story indicated that Activision was up 1M MAUs, so I guess that means Blizzard is down 8M MAUs. She also said it was the third straight quarter with the decline.

7 million does seem like a drop in the bucket when you are considering 340+ million users.
This right here is why there should be no public corporations and wall street should never have been a thing.

Mom and pop companies with no investors can just exist, pay their bills and employees, stock some cash back in the bank, expand and hire, etc....without all the stupid drama that they didnt hit some idiotic target number to impress investors.

some of these companies literally belly up, not because they couldnt have made it had they stayed private, but because the made the mistake going public where even whispers of an ill wind, true or not, can drive them into bankruptcy court.

There is so much ignorance in that post it would take to long to educate you in reality
11/10/2018 03:36 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
If not even both of those combined could contribute enough to Blizzard's MAUs to do more than break even, then that means that realistically their participation has actually dropped, not maintained the status quo.

Except if you actually had a look at the figures in Q2 and Q3 you would see they made an extra $196 million in Q3 over Q2.
11/10/2018 12:58 AMPosted by Ragnaroll
11/09/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Bluspacecow
It absolutely thing to do with any of Blizzard Entertainment's games.

MAUs aren't how the speculative economy works though.

Investor interest and confidence is important.

One of the biggest telltale signs to me is that despite 99% dislikes on their Blizzard Immortal vids they can say something like :

"And last week, Blizzard announced Diablo Immortal, which will bring this tenfold franchise to a mobile audience in both the east and the west. While fan reaction was muted to the announcement, players' hands-on experience (08:19) this content confirmed what we believe, which is that Diablo mobile will be a very well received game when it releases, and players around the world will love it."

do not feel confident in entrusting funds to a team that has blind confidence that a game with zero hype for it will be well received.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4220179-activision-blizzard-atvi-q3-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

The problem was the announcement. If they had announced this in China a few months ago, everything would have been fine.
11/09/2018 04:58 AMPosted by Crepe
11/09/2018 04:55 AMPosted by Eret
CoD made a decent chunk... just not enough for the investors. Destiny 2 was a bus full of terminal orphans, nuns, and kittens driving off a cliff. destiny 2 forsaken put a life net at the bottom of the cliff.

Well the interesting thing to me is that it was stated to the investors. Which is usually a time for positive statements like "with the new launch of Destiny we see massive opportunity with everyone able to access the base game for free." Instead it's "well, this blew."

This is unfortunate; I’ve been playing Destiny 2: Forsaken a lot the last week (as my interest in WoW is on hold until 8.1), and it’s been a lot of fun. Way more depth than was available at launch, and love the random customizable traits you can mix and match based on your weapon/skill preferences.

Honestly, the WoW team should consider taking a page from the Destiny 2 book in regards to Azeroth armor...

MAUs aren't how the speculative economy works though.

Investor interest and confidence is important.

One of the biggest telltale signs to me is that despite 99% dislikes on their Blizzard Immortal vids they can say something like :

"And last week, Blizzard announced Diablo Immortal, which will bring this tenfold franchise to a mobile audience in both the east and the west. While fan reaction was muted to the announcement, players' hands-on experience (08:19) this content confirmed what we believe, which is that Diablo mobile will be a very well received game when it releases, and players around the world will love it."

do not feel confident in entrusting funds to a team that has blind confidence that a game with zero hype for it will be well received.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4220179-activision-blizzard-atvi-q3-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

That's fine I hope you sold your investment in ATVI then. I didn't care for the diablo immortal announcement either but the mobile market is too big to ignore. If ATVI was ignoring that market then I would be the one wanting to sell.

You either progress and move with the times as a company or die.
I would actually find this very, very worrisome as an investor given that we had two significant boosting events recently:

1) BfA launch sales.

2) Pirate boat giveaway with six month sub purchase.

If not even both of those combined could contribute enough to Blizzard's MAUs to do more than break even, then that means that realistically their participation has actually dropped, not maintained the status quo.
The Pirate boat would look like a major boost to deferred revenue for PC and Blizzard, not MAUs.
Q2 2018

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/80b94f0b-2ec2-48aa-a826-40077312a712 (see page 6)

Q3 2018

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/8229563c-2259-46c7-8acb-42ea074b896f (see page 6)

The drop was quite clearly in King Entertainment. Blizzard's MAU stayed the same while Activision's went up by 1 Million MAU.

They even admitted this during the conference call -

"At Blizzard, monthly active users were 37 million, consistent with the prior quarter" Blizzards MAU were 37 million last quarter so they have stayed stable.

Please do not bring facts into this thread. We need to keep up the “WoW is garbage and losing tons of subscribers” myth because that is the only way we can justify our hate of the game and company!
Q2 2018

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/80b94f0b-2ec2-48aa-a826-40077312a712 (see page 6)

Q3 2018

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/8229563c-2259-46c7-8acb-42ea074b896f (see page 6)

The drop was quite clearly in King Entertainment. Blizzard's MAU stayed the same while Activision's went up by 1 Million MAU.

"At Blizzard, monthly active users were 37 million, consistent with the prior quarter" Blizzards MAU were 37 million last quarter so they have stayed stable.

Quoting to spread the word.

People need to realize that Activision-Blizzard isn't just WoW or even the games on the launcher. It includes Candy Crush.

I think we should take fan reactions to DI with a grain of salt. You announced a mobile game (largely reviled for P2W tactics) to a whole bunch of PC fans desperate for any news on a beloved PC franchise.

Of course they're going to hate it. But what does that matter? The game wasn't designed for that audience. It was designed for the Chinese demographic that eats these P2W mobile games up.

DI might not make literally all the money, but there's no way it's not going to be insanely profitable for Blizzard. I think they can handle a bruise or two to their ego with that in mind.
11/09/2018 04:48 AMPosted by Eret
Remember the also includes all of kings P2W garbage

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-23-candy-crush-saga-revenue-for-q2-hits-usd213m-after-18-percent-growth
11/10/2018 07:57 AMPosted by Amine
That's fine I hope you sold your investment in ATVI then. I didn't care for the diablo immortal announcement either but the mobile market is too big to ignore. If ATVI was ignoring that market then I would be the one wanting to sell.

You either progress and move with the times as a company or die.

The mobile market has extreme potential.

However many mobile market players aren't looking for a diablo III style 'oh there's nothing to do now' or 'oh there's no content updates for 2 years'.

If they truly wanted to go deep into the mobile market and attract big spending players (i'm talking 25k USD++ a year on mobile games), they need to AT LEAST re-open up their player to player marketplace & charge transaction fees.
I am going to say two things that may sound contradictory to people but here goes: 1) I am really unhappy about the direction WOW has taken, I think a lot of other people are as well, and I would not been surprised if subs continue dropping. 2) Activision/Blizzard can probably do better overall by developing new games in new markets, and that may include mobile. Limiting investment in old games like WOW is probably the smart thing to do.

WOW is a small part of the company's bottom line. As much as wish that my dissatisfaction with WOW would cause the company some pain, I doubt it will. I'll stop playing WOW at some point, the company will continue do fine money wise. If WOW was their main product, the story would be different. But that is not the case.
Farming squishy eyeballs and collecting heads is getting old.
With the news of next patch I am given more and more reasons NOT to play. Increased rep from world quests for faster allied races.
Neck Ilevel upgrade for alts
More free warfront gear
Reduced XP from 20-110
Incursions for alt leveling 110 to 120

Half of this stuff could be implemented NOW when there is no content because its just numbers but whatever wait till next month when there is new content.... so I can go back and do old content????
yeah, between the 5 million sub loss in WoD and the $1 billion warcraft movie that made zip in revenue, then all the outrages about call of duty games, activision-blizzard is in financial trouble, which is why they're moving diablo to mobile gaming, not looking good for them, they're really out of touch with their fan bases, i fear the worst once the overwatch craze dies out
11/10/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Sleepercore
activision-blizzard is in financial trouble

Ummmm.. huh?

They're extraordinarily profitable, they have a ton of games in the pipeline, they have some incredible IPs to draw on. How do you get "financial trouble" out of that?

They gave weaker than expected guidance for 4th quarter--which is prompting a stock drop. A lot of investors are looking at that as a buying opportunity.

The stuff you make up in your head? That's not facts.
11/10/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Yasudra
Q2 2018

Q3 2018

Quoting to spread the word.

People need to realize that Activision-Blizzard isn't just WoW or even the games on the launcher. It includes Candy Crush.
then why announce those games at blizzcon that doesn't belong? why not have separate con events call it Blizzcon Mobile? bet they would attract the right audience then, not to sound mean, but blizzard has always been morons in both the marketing aspect as well as good game designs, activision has always had to act as a parent of blizzard, don't do dumb !@#$ kind of parenting
11/10/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Elae
Well I think part of the reason is that wow tokens are no longer affordable, you can't get enough gold from doing missions or your professions, you can't sell enough at the AH or anything anymore, not without farming for hours and hours, when back in the day you could get a wow token for real cheap...

When you've been playing wow for free for two years, to all of a sudden be priced out of the token market, that would turn a lot of people off.

The funny part is that I sold enough wow tokens back in the day to sub through 2023. But the lack of gold in BFA has still killed my interest in all Blizzard games because I can no longer have a reliable way to get blizzard money to buy games and items in the other games.

It has had a cascading effect for me, turning me off of all their games. And Diablo Immortal really cemented the fact that Blizzard is not designing games for me now.
11/10/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Presumption
the lack of gold in BFA

That's on you though, not Blizzard.

Lots of players make tons of gold each week.
As long as i'm subbed I don't care what everyone else is doing