New healer

General Discussion
I’m looking to pick up healing, what would be the best class for a beginner healer?
Paladin. Brave and constantly the center of the battle. There is no greater glory than fighting impossible odds only to bubble horse away.

Superior over Holy Priests.
Holy Priest is a solid choice. It's Healer Classic, a strong reactive healer with a really excellent toolkit this expansion.
11/11/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Oleandra
Holy Priest is a solid choice. It's Healer Classic, a strong reactive healer with a really excellent toolkit this expansion.

This.
Holy priest as well
Holy priest is most like the traditional "cleric" roles from other MMOs easier to understand.
holy priest is the best pure healer but has weaknesses like it has to cast long casts a lot of the time
Disc is a great spec to level in.
I'll agree that Holy Priest is probably the most well-rounded for a beginner. They're the only one whose focus is pretty evenly divided between single-target and multi-target heals.

If you decide Holy Priest isn't for you, you'll at least have a better idea from playing it which healer you DO want. You found you really like healing the tank more than the group? You want a Pally. You actually preferred healing the group more than focusing on the tank? Try a Shaman. HPriest's lack of mobility made you hate it more than anything else? You might want a Druid. You disliked hanging out in the back the whole time and have never really been a fan of ranged anyway? Monk says hello.

Etc.
11/11/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Oleandra

Disc or gtfo!
11/11/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Divium
Paladin. Brave and constantly the center of the battle. There is no greater glory than fighting impossible odds only to bubble horse away.

Superior over Holy Priests.

Holy Paladin is a horrible choice for a new healer.

Holy Priest is much better to start out with.
Here is a nice article that covers some of the basics:

https://blizzardwatch.com/2018/05/24/pros-cons-healing-class-battle-azeroth/
Holy Priest is the most straightforward.
I think pally is easiest, holy priest isn't really hard, but they are all difficult to do well, takes time and dedication to do well
Depends on what type of healer you want to play...
Want a classic re-active healer - Holy priest
hybrid dps/heals - Disc priest
melee/'in the heat of battle' heals - Holy pally
pro-active crazy mobility - Resto drood.
utility+heals - Resto shammy
utility/mobility heals - Monk

Good luck in your healing adventures and don't forget to have fun.
11/11/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Piccolö
Depends on what type of healer you want to play...
Want a classic re-active healer - Holy priest
hybrid dps/heals - Disc priest
melee/'in the heat of battle' heals - Holy pally
pro-active crazy mobility - Resto drood.
utility+heals - Resto shammy
utility/mobility heals - Monk

Good luck in your healing adventures and don't forget to have fun.

Resto druid healing itself isn't really hard to learn, but our shape shifting mechanic can be confusing for new players. Its gotten easier though since they gave us affinities.
No one ever says shaman :(
I like my rdruid. We lack that burst healing capability but our hots make up for it with high mobility, utility and in high levels and with a good team, you can catweave.

I also play a monk, and they are pretty darn strong right now and they are fun. They are up there when it comes to a full package healer.