Why do you prefer Classic over Retail?

Classic Discussion
For me, it's all about being immersed or feeling connected to the actual game world again in Classic.

Retail WoW (which does have quite a few positives) plays very different. It feels like my character is jumping through game menus and lobbies for my next "gaming experience." The actual world might as well not even be there anymore, because frankly it become obsolete after a few weeks.
The world.

That's it.

Cata destroyed the world I loved.

Everything else is just the icing on the cake. They could make it the Vanilla world, quests, dungeons, classes, talents and have everything else from BfA, and I would still be happy. (Except zone scaling. That can DIAF.)
Classic = Rpg
BFA = mmo

Both are mmorpg but classic is a more immersive experience. BFA is an mmo that is just guns blazing everywhere you go clearing as fast as possible.
Community and challenge.

Nothing bores me quicker than steamrolling mobs without fear of ever dying. I've recently dabbled on a pserver (Classic hype made me do it) and the world just feels more real and less plastic, despite the difference in graphics.

I dunno, it's sort of hard to explain it well. I'm not bashing on BFA, it just doesn't float my zeppelin.
I thought it was nostalgia until I tried..a server that shall not be named so I can't incriminate myself...

Nope. Better game, through and through. I'm glad it wasn't rose colored goggles.

Retail wow is a good game, but the 2 are night and day differences.
Haven't really enjoyed anything since SWG and Classic - hence enjoyment is why.
Why do you prefer a muscle car over today's economic car. Why do you prefer manual vs automatic transmission.

For me it is fun over automation and convenience. More choice = more fun for me.
Classic felt like it had more interesting quirks to it. Whereas in retail Blizzard seems to destroy anything that doesn't fit their 'fun agenda', quickly hot-fixing anything they don't like.

I wasn't a vanilla maniac until Nost. It was probably the most fun I had with WoW ever. I like my class being important and unique, I liked most items in game being the best they could be when you got them (besides the few strong greens with great stat rolls). I enjoyed the difficulty with leveling and dungeons, I'm not a super gamer but it felt hard enough where I can find enjoyment and gratification from doing simple things like getting a certain talent or being able to make a cool new recipe with my trade skills.

I also thought pet tanking was the coolest thing ever. On late nights when the server was kinda dead with no warriors in sight, groups I'd join would just end up using locks/hunters to tank it and they did it pretty well. Seeing a tauren hunter tank Scarlet Armory with a bear was just fun to me.
Premise: "Holy crap! That mount looks awesome! Where'd he get it?"

Vanilla: If you're that impressed with it, you can make it a personal goal, work for it, and get it.

Retail: $25 in the store.

--

Premise: "Whoa, look at that guy! His armor is awesome!"

Vanilla: Get a good idea of whether his guild is top tier. Get an idea of what the best gear for your class looks like. Set a personal goal for what you want to get.

Retail: "Oh, it's pug raid gear with a graphic from 3 expansions ago."

--

Most important of all...

Classic was a game you had to learn to play. You could make mistakes on your character, you had to learn which gear was good, which was bad, what skills were good, which were bad. If you were willing to spend the extra time learning and the extra time practicing, you could be awesome, and that awesomeness was a rarified commodity. The world was smaller and felt fuller. When the game has no more learning curve, suddenly "leveling up" is a chore that they let you pay to bypass. In vanilla, leveling is how you learn about the world and learn about your class. In vanilla killing bosses felt like an accomplishment because of a simple MMO philosophy that has long since been abandoned; "Not everyone will get to see all content." If everyone gets to do everything, doing anything has no meaning.
Playing an MMORPG requires just the right effort vs. reward balance.

Vanilla, BC and Wrath had it down pat... current WoW is out of touch. It was changed for epople who can only play a couple hours a week. You cannot give the same rewards to people.. some that play all week others that play a few hours.

When you do, you demean the time the longer player invested. And for the person with little time? They realize that anything they can "earn" in 2 hours isn't worth having. It's not far off from logging in with a bunch of gold and buying it from a vendor. No excitement, no endorphins released.

The longer it takes to earn something, the more satisfying it is to receive it. There is a point where the feeling of "too much' comes into play.

Current wow has lost all feeling of excitement from progression for your characters.
I've never enjoyed being part of a larger group of people, so raiding has never been my thing and it will never be my thing. The challenge of retail WoW (last I played), was just not engaging enough to keep me interested for long periods of time. In addition to that, the feeling of progression was lost as leveling really did not feel like advancing, it just felt like a change of scenery.

Vanilla through WOTLK provided a well balance of challenge and progression for my favored play style. Retail does not give me either of those things.
Classic was easier than retail so I prefer classic.
One is an MMORPG

The other is a facebook game.
11/13/2018 07:27 AMPosted by Hafebeef
I thought it was nostalgia until I tried..a server that shall not be named so I can't incriminate myself...

Nope. Better game, through and through. I'm glad it wasn't rose colored goggles.

Retail wow is a good game, but the 2 are night and day differences.

Same. I can't even enjoy retail anymore because of it.
Definitely the RPG feel that others mention. I've been playing OSRS mobile with random bits of free time and even with its horrendous graphics I still enjoy it for what it is. The nostalgia is just an added plus, definitely not the only thing going for it. People that say vanilla is all nostalgia are either trolls or haven't played it. Not to say it is for everyone, people enjoy different games, that's why I don't bash retail, but anyone with a brain can see why some would enjoy classic.
The current version of the game (sometimes referred to as retail) tries to cram too much in IMO. Think of the phrase, Jack of all trades Master of none. That’s just how it feels to me. Not much of an exposition, just a feeling.

Classic feels like there is more substance.
11/13/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Thèón

Lol
I dont, im just here for the drama and fallout, also its gonna be fun rolling thru naxx when it comes out.
11/13/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Zenshigen
I dont, im just here for the drama and fallout, also its gonna be fun rolling thru naxx when it comes out.

Good luck with that, Naxx was quite the gear check when it came out in Vanilla.
11/13/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Thèón

classic is easier then retail. for M+ level players, for Heroic Raiders and above.

and that is about it.