Why do you prefer Classic over Retail?

Classic Discussion
I don't necessarily prefer it.

I just want to play it because it's been so long since I've seen the pre-Cataclysm world (not to mention all the quests/NPCs/items and various other parts of the game that have long been removed to the point where I've nearly forgotten about them). That should give it some replay value for me.

And of course, if my guildies/friends are going to be playing, it'll be something fun for us to do together.
Current retail leaves me feeling unfulfilled all the time. Now that I have lvl 120, unlocked alliance race, and lvl 30 neck power, what is left for me to do? Go do the same Mythic + again for a chance at a TF?

Vanilla I could set goals for my character. Farm X piece of gear and then move on to the next. That just isn't an option today, you have to sit and wait until Blizzard decides its OK and you can move to the next level of gear. ( Look at Emissary quests awarding higher level Azerite gear, based on the players current ILVL). Timegating is not a solution to me, more real content is.
11/13/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Jimibob
Current retail leaves me feeling unfulfilled all the time. Now that I have lvl 120, unlocked alliance race, and lvl 30 neck power, what is left for me to do? Go do the same Mythic + again for a chance at a TF?

Vanilla I could set goals for my character. Farm X piece of gear and then move on to the next. That just isn't an option today, you have to sit and wait until Blizzard decides its OK and you can move to the next level of gear. ( Look at Emissary quests awarding higher level Azerite gear, based on the players current ILVL). Timegating is not a solution to me, more real content is.
I disagree with this one... Vanilla had timegating...timegating behaves in the same way it does today. Restricted raids, some bosses made mathematically impossible, raid regents you could only get over time, progressive release of content, War effort, pvp rewards...

The main difference between progression in Vanilla and Today, is Today you can always improve your character by playing more. The rewards are more numerous, but are smaller.

In Vanilla, you got that piece, and you're done... the time between rewards was much greater in vanilla... the the individual rewards were much greater.

I think both systems have their merit. They are simply just different. I kind of like the fact a certain dungeon never becomes irrelevant. I also like content not feeling too repetitive. I think this is more just a time management issue, Modern wow encourages you to play more because all of your time spent is not wasted time... but this also makes it so you feel compelled to play more for small rewards.... you simply should just play the amount you feel is fun, and don't when it gets boring... wait for next content patch.
I prefer Classic because Vanilla was easier than retail is today.
11/13/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Thèón

How?
I hate the combat pace of retail. It's too fast, I much preferred the slow and steady fights back in the day. Healing was more about mana management and less about playing whack-a-mole with health bars. Doing 5 mans usually meant pulling 3-4 mobs at a time, maybe CC-ing one or two, and working through the room at a steady pace. Now it's just a go-go-go mentality, the tank will aggro the entire room and everyone just spams their aoe spell.

Community of course, i'm sure it was already mentioned though.

Character progression is more meaningful. There's no goody bags with loot in them, pieces of gear don't double as healing and dps gear. When you got an upgrade, you cherished it. Also I actually prefer when levels used to mean something, none of this zone scaling, bg level scaling, item level scaling nonsense.
I want to at least try it because one of the biggest issue I have with retail is there is no end. There's always something you won't have and need to farm if you want to complete it all. When you're close to completing all those goals, out comes another new patch with so many things added. When you finally finish that then there's a new expac.

I want to be able to set goals, achieve them, and not have to go back in a couple of months just to redo those goals because now there's twice as much stuff to do.
No Death Knights.
No Blood Elfs
No Demon Hunters
No Space Goats
No pandas
because retail is hot garbage
The world, the immersion, better RPG and most important of all is "WEAPON SKILL BABY! Nothing is like choosing a weapon type to use and being able to say "I am a master bow using warrior. (and yes I know bows aren't the best/primary weapon for warriors)
Retail - Solo with bots
Classic - MMO
11/13/2018 07:27 AMPosted by Hafebeef
I thought it was nostalgia until I tried..a server that shall not be named so I can't incriminate myself...

Nope. Better game, through and through. I'm glad it wasn't rose colored goggles.

Retail wow is a good game, but the 2 are night and day differences.

The only people who say "its just nostalgia" and "it actually isn't as good" are literally wrath babies who don't want to lose their MYTHIC prestige in the current game by us leaving to classic so they cant show off anymore.
11/13/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Necrosis
The world, the immersion, better RPG and most important of all is "WEAPON SKILL BABY! Nothing is like choosing a weapon type to use and being able to say "I am a master bow using warrior. (and yes I know bows aren't the best/primary weapon for warriors)

Hell warriors could equip every type of item in Vanilla wow Cloth/Leather/Mail/Plate/All weapons except wands.
11/13/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Healsalot
11/13/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Necrosis

Hell warriors could equip every type of item in Vanilla wow Cloth/Leather/Mail/Plate/All weapons except wands.

lol, right. We can't have us warriors wanding! Another good reason for me to roll a warlock as my alt class. It's a pity how lowly of an item wands have become.
11/13/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Thèón

No.. it isn't.
It was created by a company of nerds who were passionate about what they were doing and knew that if they made a good game the money would come.

The modern game is made by a soulless corporation driven by investors and research metrics.

There was obvious love put into early WoW. That's gone now.
40 man raids, bigger sense of community not just guild but the whole server, no titan forging, no LFR, less catch up mechanics/freebie loot for people who don't put time into the game, PVP wasn't one big CC fest, character power level actually had nice progression unlike retail, professions mattered, farming for consumables/gold kept you busy when you'd just be raid logging in retail, linear PVE progression was nice (they did have 20 mans and .5 loot but it wasn't nearly as crazy as retail being able to skip 3 tiers and go straight into late end game content).

Probably missed some but those are the things I can think of off the top of my head.
i would run through darkshore, just coming from teldrassil and i remember taking my time and enjoying the world. the water and sky, like leaving home for the first time. seeing this world with wide eyes, and later realizing that this was only a tiny piece to azeroth.

awhile back, i took my (BC) main back home. i went to the highest peaks and took pictures, sat and soaked up the world. smelled the roses you could say. that was the first time in years, that i had done anything like that. and silvermoon was the first and ONLY thing i cared about in this game, since back then. i was a player who went to work. never playing an mmorpg but who had duties and the world, lost its value.

while the blood elf helped me discover where i belonged, in the horde. the night elf helped me discover and appreciate an entire world.

that is the difference between vanilla and bfa. to me.

everything else, is just a bonus (or minus, in bfa's case).