We ordered vanilla not vanilla with sprinkles

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
11/14/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Ziegfried
Sharding is an extremely poor design choice because it goes against the original design philosophy of the game. If the developers of WoW had the same mentality in the early 2000s that they do now the game would have been all instanced. WoW would have launched as a lobby game! On the topic of the loot system I'm OK so long as they don't go the personal loot route but obviously would prefer the original loot system from vanilla WoW. Keep it authentic.

Usually things like this arent going to effect the people that come back to play. Overall, i would think that most people are actually NOT going to care as much as this forum or the subreddit for classic care about both sharding and loot sharing. what people care about more usually is are they going to have fun playing the game and care less about desperate systems that may have little to no effect on them. Hell if they put out the Demo, i bet you most people would have a hard time telling the difference overall.
11/14/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Zenshigen
11/14/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Fellína
I always wonder how many of these super purists its not P-server/2005 classic people are going to not play over things like this. This also includes the "Its not Free" crowd.

Going to just start saying. See you at launch friend!

All of those will play anyway, lol they are so obvious, 2 weeks before demo people were like "amagad if there is not progressive itemization, chris metzen with an early 2000 haircut and 2004 pcs being sent to every single player i wont playyy, MUH MUSEUM PIECEEE" and now they are like "yeah i dont mind sharding, come on bring it". Fact is people will play anyway, regardless of whatever "deal breaker" they had, lowering expactations is the name of the game around here.

There is a difference between tempering your expectations and losing sight of the original vision. I don't think sharding in the starting zones for a couple weeks is a big deal, but that being said I don't want it to be used at any point after that. When something happens that brings the server together, I want to see the server in its entirety not just a piece of it that was randomly decided that I get to see.
Do you have an alternative to sharding ? Won't the early zones be unplayable for weeks without it?

Blizzard will lose more money from the people who quit out of frustration out of not being able to level up because there are too many people and not enough spawns then they would from people upset about this.
11/14/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Wtfbrew
Do you have an alternative to sharding ? Won't the early zones be unplayable for weeks without it?

Blizzard will lose more money from the people who quit out of frustration out of not being able to level up because there are too many people and enough spawns then they would from people upset about this.

Yes, I do have a solution, that solves the problem but some people will not like. Set the server cap to 500 players. When it hits 500, the server locks for an hour. Once the hour is up, the cap is set to 1000. The cap keeps increasing by 500 each time the lock occurs until it stops locking. This strings out the mass of people into smaller more manageable waves that don't need to be sharded. Yes it means not everyone gets to log onto a server immediately, but it's not sharding either.
1. Sharding/Phasing

It isn't long term or wide spread, lets say they don't and everyone goes to log in on launch and can't play, is that really a better solution? Really think about it son...

2. Loot trading

Opposed to waiting for hours for a GM to get to your ticket? FYI, people traded loot back in the day, it was just the GM that had to do it.

These posts are dumb, you're making the community look stupid STOP! Look we all want our cake and we want to eat it too, life doesn't work like that and you sound entitled(as you alluded to) as @#$%. Step away from the keyboard and go outside, read a book go met a girl and fall in love.
blizzard has 6+ months to really bugger this up
11/14/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Kickrøckz
1. Sharding/Phasing

It isn't long term or wide spread, lets say they don't and everyone goes to log in on launch and can't play, is that really a better solution? Really think about it son...

2. Loot trading

Opposed to waiting for hours for a GM to get to your ticket? FYI, people traded loot back in the day, it was just the GM that had to do it.

These posts are dumb, you're making the community look stupid STOP! Look we all want our cake and we want to eat it too, life doesn't work like that and you sound entitled(as you alluded to) as @#$%. Step away from the keyboard and go outside, read a book go met a girl and fall in love.

There's that word again. The most overused word in gaming next to "trolling" and "whining." Go apply for a job at Kotaku, your kind fits right in over there.
11/14/2018 04:50 AMPosted by Thermopyle
11/14/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Padrepwn
Oh boy. Here's another quality post being ran straight upstairs to the big guy.
Guess blizz will be scheduling another press conference...

Ordered is the word now huh? Seemed like begging and pleading but you do you.

Expect the press conference around noon PST.

why are you here? why are you so in favor of sharting? are you a shart freak or something? OP valid comment.

what i really would like to know is how the sharts will happen. what is the threshold before actiblizz lets out another shart and people disappear or reappear?

Im here to chew bubble gum and pwn noobs. I'm almost outta bubble gum....
Not exactly in favor of it but it wont keep me from playing.
Nor am I going to lose my mind and cry that the sky is falling.
Especially since at this point we are still lacking so many details.
You're right we need to know those details and so much more.
Such as are we getting a beta? When? Open or closed? Server caps? Number of servers? Names? Regions? What are the details of loot trading?
Where in time is Carmen Sandiego? Who framed Roger Rabbit?

Blizz obviously has an estimation of this rush at launch or they wouldn't be trying to be proactive about it.
I'd like to know what that estimation is. That one is just pure curiosity. Lol.

So much we still don't know yet.
11/14/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Velossena

Yes, I do have a solution, that solves the problem but some people will not like. Set the server cap to 500 players. When it hits 500, the server locks for an hour. Once the hour is up, the cap is set to 1000. The cap keeps increasing by 500 each time the lock occurs until it stops locking. This strings out the mass of people into smaller more manageable waves that don't need to be sharded. Yes it means not everyone gets to log onto a server immediately, but it's not sharding either.

Honestly I would take this over the pay to cut in line being suggested.
This is way more random, fair, and is in a way authentic for shards that went down a lot. LOL.

Even sequenced logins based on account age or a randomly generated priority list is better than a reel in the whale service like pay to cut in line.

Edit:snipped
11/14/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Velossena

Blizzard will lose more money from the people who quit out of frustration out of not being able to level up because there are too many people and enough spawns then they would from people upset about this.

You would have complaints like you have never seen! If someone takes 4 days off from work to play launch and can't even get past the que on 3 of those days people are going to completely go off. They will loose customers for life across all their games if they did something that stupid. Also that would not even work as the smell the roses crowd is huge and will be in starter zone all day. They in no way will be out of it in 1 hr allowing for group 2 to come in without problems.
Plus will have launch day sharting. It's already confirmed and explained why it will happen. Either get over it or don't and cry instead of playing over something that will only be there a couple days.
Yes, please bring back a gimped version of the game that runs on 2006 hardware and uses 2006 technical solutions. Please ignore the 12 some years of massive advancements in the world of tech.

hey, maybe they can even code it up in whatever version of C++ existed there, using w.e IDE they used back then. Visual Studio 2018? Nah, fam, VS2006 is where it is at.

Vanilla is about the community and feeling of accomplishment as you grow, because honestly, vanilla is kinda whack in hindsight in many other aspects.
11/14/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Alorandis
Yes, please bring back a gimped version of the game that runs on 2006 hardware and uses 2006 technical solutions. Please ignore the 12 some years of massive advancements in the world of tech.

hey, maybe they can even code it up in whatever version of C++ existed there, using w.e IDE they used back then. Visual Studio 2018? Nah, fam, VS2006 is where it is at.

Vanilla is about the community and feeling of accomplishment as you grow, because honestly, vanilla is kinda whack in hindsight in many other aspects.

Poor attempt at a strawman, you can do better than that.

No accounting for tastes.
11/14/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Sunjashi

not really a strawman, because if the people who scream we only want vanilla then quite literally what they mean is: "WE want the game, the whole game, meaning the whole code base, as how it was back then." Meaning: We want a gimped game that uses old technology in 2018 because maturity is apparently not taught in schools.
11/14/2018 07:41 PMPosted by Alorandis
11/14/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Sunjashi

not really a strawman, because if the people who scream we only want vanilla then quite literally what they mean is: "WE want the game, the whole game, meaning the whole code base, as how it was back then." Meaning: We want a gimped game that uses old technology in 2018 because maturity is apparently not taught in schools.

It very much IS a strawman, NO ONE is asking for a "gimped" 2006 game on 2006 hardware. they're asking for a FAITHFUL RECREATION of the original game that works on modern hardware while maintaining authenticity (ie. NO sharding or loot trading) You can deny your disingenuous attempts to discredit legitimate concerns about Classic all you want, but that's not gonna work on me. If you are seriously suggesting that extreme example is what anti-sharders are asking for, then you either just discovered what trolling is and have not yet figured out proper execution and technique, OR you've been watching too much Taliessin and Evitel.
Millions of players waiting, what a joke, wake up, WOTLK was the height of WoW not classic.
11/14/2018 01:39 AMPosted by Renascia
Vanilla with sprinkles is far superior to vanilla, prepare for destruction.

Destruction didn't happen until Sunwell though.

Zones weren't unplayable for weeks prior to the introduction of sharding. Even the massive crash in Jade Forest at MoP launch was a matter of a few hours, not weeks.

Why would they suddenly be unplayable for weeks now? Are you trying to imply that the current technical team for WoW is incompetent?
11/14/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Synthor
Millions of players waiting, what a joke, wake up, WOTLK was the height of WoW not classic.

Wrath built on the foundation of vanilla.