We ordered vanilla not vanilla with sprinkles

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
11/14/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Sunjashi
<span class="truncated">...</span>

not really a strawman, because if the people who scream we only want vanilla then quite literally what they mean is: "WE want the game, the whole game, meaning the whole code base, as how it was back then." Meaning: We want a gimped game that uses old technology in 2018 because maturity is apparently not taught in schools.

It very much IS a strawman, NO ONE is asking for a "gimped" 2006 game on 2006 hardware. they're asking for a FAITHFUL RECREATION of the original game that works on modern hardware while maintaining authenticity (ie. NO sharding or loot trading) You can deny your disingenuous attempts to discredit legitimate concerns about Classic all you want, but that's not gonna work on me. If you are seriously suggesting that extreme example is what anti-sharders are asking for, then you either just discovered what trolling is and have not yet figured out proper execution and technique, OR you've been watching too much Taliessin and Evitel.

Exactly, a very dumb strawman. I play on an authentic 1.12 pserver at 1440p resolution, and it's a server with very good uptime. This idea that Vanilla means playing on a 800p CRT monitor with dial-up is childish.
Good to know your encharge if the classic project and that it's a ... O wait your not, blizzard desides what happens and so far that have given valid reasons why they have made the changes they have.

People act like sharding is going to make classic a single player game. It's not. People act like loot trading is the end of the world. It's not.

Neither of these changes go against vanilla game design when done properly.

Stop crying a river with your "demands" and try explaining why you believe in your opinion the changes will "ruin" classic. But screaming at them and saying "do it my way or else" will only make your argument weaker.
11/14/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Synthor
Millions of players waiting, what a joke, wake up, WOTLK was the height of WoW not classic.

I think sub numbers technically peaked in early Cata or very late Wrath, but if you look at the millions of subs gained per expansion then Vanilla and TBC blow Wrath out of the water. Wrath truthfully didn't gain that many subs, it just happened to be a very good expansion that coincided with the peak of the game's popularity.

Vanilla and TBC built the game, Wrath was carried on that momentum to a peak, and everything afterwards has been coasting and decaying.
11/14/2018 09:38 PMPosted by Espur
11/14/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Synthor
Millions of players waiting, what a joke, wake up, WOTLK was the height of WoW not classic.

Wrath built on the foundation of vanilla.

Exactly. Vanilla and TBC are what blew the sub numbers through the roof.
11/14/2018 07:30 PMPosted by Alorandis
Yes, please bring back a gimped version of the game that runs on 2006 hardware and uses 2006 technical solutions. Please ignore the 12 some years of massive advancements in the world of tech.
I wonder if people who post things like this even bother to educate themselves on what's going on.

I've experienced no login queues on private servers. Lag is nearly non existent. Launch days are crazy, and crowded, and fun ... not unplayable. Keep in mind that many of these emulated servers have huge populations. All this done by a bunch of amateurs because their hardware supports their game.

Blizzard's hardware can't even support 100 players in the same zone. That's because they're doing things cheaper, not better. Ion specifically stated server stability was the reason sharding was necessary in the starting areas. If that's true, then they don't plan on fixing their server set up. It also means sharding is going to be permanent and everywhere.

That is not a Classic worth playing.
11/14/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Padrepwn
Ordered is the word now huh?

*WOOSH*

The three analogies to ice cream went right over your head. Boi.
11/14/2018 12:52 AMPosted by Élena
Judging by what they did with Diablo, I'm very nervous.
"We've decided to make WoW Classic a mobile-only release! Coming soon to your phone!!!!"
11/14/2018 12:25 AMPosted by Rhystael
1. Sharding/Phasing was not a part of the classic experience. The launch surge and often times overwhleming population fighting over quest mobs and loot was impactful on a human level which brought people together to make parties so they weren't fighting or made people bitter rivals. And that ten minutes you spent competing with people to loot that bucket before it despawned for another few minutes was intense.

2. Loot trading was not a part of the classic experience. Ninja looting was a real thing, a crime you could commit which united the community up in arms against you, blacklisting you. That's a feature for modern WoW, not genuine classic.

This is a recreation. Not a remaster. Not reforged. We ordered vanilla, not vanilla with sprinkles on it with modern hand holding baby coddling streamlined bogus. That's more suited to your modern WoW playerbase, not the millions waiting patiently for the game they knew and loved over a decade ago.

I don't want to sound like an entitled brat, but when you advertise a product, don't change it behind the scenes. Please Blizzard, don't add these things. They kill aspects of what made classic wow such a special phenomenon that rallied people to make private servers in its honor. I'll go play one if this isn't authentic, because those unofficial servers would be more authentic.
11/15/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Lhyme
Launch days are crazy, and crowded, and fun ... not unplayable.

Launch days on private servers are garbage.

Horribly crowded, completely unplayable and decidedly not fun.

You are incorrect.
at this point ESPECIALLY after the demo, i think its safe to say we are way past the point of this being an "authentic vanilla" experience. but all the additions so far are fantastic.
11/15/2018 06:03 AMPosted by Natiari

You are incorrect.
What private server launch are you referring to? Because I've loved every single one I've participated in.

Which server was "unplayable?"
11/15/2018 06:21 AMPosted by Lhyme
What private server launch are you referring to? Because I've loved every single one I've participated in.

Which server was "unplayable?"

All of the most recent Vanilla server launches have been unplayable.

Every one since Nost.
11/15/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Lhyme
Launch days are crazy, and crowded, and fun ... not unplayable.

You are incorrect.
Launch day on a F R E S H pserver: “look at all these people! No mobs to kill, lag for days, server crashes ever 10 mins. This is awesome!”

Launch day for Classic: No lag, no crashes, minimal que if any, tons of players. “I just sharded pservers are better. Screw Blizzard!”

Launch day for Classic without sharding: excessively long que times, “REEEEE Blizzard sucks!”
I do understand that loot trading should be in, at least some way, because of accidental need rolls and Que times for tickets being lot longer then Vanilla.

"Accidental" need rolls do not exist. 99.99% of them are ninja attempts, the final 0.01% are so negligible that "deal with it" should be Blizzard's official position on the matter.

... Besides, if you click the wrong button because you couldn't take the 0.1 seconds to align the mouse cursor, I'm sorry, but you are stupid. As in "how do you manage to breathe?"

The correct way to handle loot transfer tickets is to ignore them. There is no reason for a GM to be expected to do it in the first place, so loot trading only "fixes" a problem that doesn't need to exist in the first place.
11/15/2018 06:23 AMPosted by Ristra

You are incorrect.
Launch day on a F R E S H pserver: “look at all these people! No mobs to kill, lag for days, server crashes ever 10 mins. This is awesome!”

Launch day for Classic: No lag, no crashes, minimal que if any, tons of players. “I just sharded pservers are better. Screw Blizzard!”

Launch day for Classic without sharding: excessively long que times, “REEEEE Blizzard sucks!”

You won’t see tons of players on a sharded server. It’ll feel like a low-medium pop retail server.

So, you’re sacrificing convenience and quality of life for one of the aspects that made vanilla great.