Classic hit me like a truck

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 11 Next
11/14/2018 04:31 AMPosted by Aewendil
Cause killing 1 mob at a time with the 1 ability on your action bar then having to eat after each pull is so exciting.

Sounds like BFA to me lol.
Played the demo for about 30 minutes and logged off. I'm happy for those that like this and are getting it but ain't no way in helheim I could go back to that. I was so bored.
11/14/2018 04:50 AMPosted by Vercalis
I played for 15 minutes, went "hey it's really cool to have totems back" then remembered that combat in vanilla was slow and boring.

I started with a slight interest in playing classic, and after playing it a small amount I have zero interest in it. If I even make a character I'll be shocked if I make it to level 10.

build more
The audience is niche.

It won't appeal to people who push keys or mythic raids
It won't appeal to people who play solo and live off all the QoL changes

It will appeal to longtime RPG fans that want to experience playing a character and getting involved in it. Simple as that. It's not for everyone, which is a struggle for some to understand. It won't be overly popular. But it will have it's audience regardless of how big/small. It doesn't appeal to a lot of people and thats fine. It shouldn't have to.
11/14/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Kurtloder

Why do people not do this on every transmog post? I always see this on classic and PvP related posts, GD always trying to silence people and push them to the classic forum.

"Silence people?" Classic is like the second most popular forum behind GD.

11/14/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Syp

In a real world analogy, it is kind of how you feel when you get off your 10 hour shift, collect your check after all of the deductions, go to the store and see someone buying a 6 pack and steak with EBT.

Comparing retail to the welfare queen myth? Seriously? All that Fox News is rotting your brain.

11/14/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Sigtyr
If Blizzard brought back all of the RPG elements from Classic, but also kept many graphical, UI, and QoL improvements (transmog, void storage, shared AH, dual/multi spec, personal loot as an option, summoning stones, the current quest tab interface, etc.) then I’d play it in a heartbeat.

Vanilla WoW had tons of things wrong with it that have been remedied over the ye but it was a wonderful RPG. Most of the “RPG” is gone from WoW now.

Can you be more specific? What "RPG elements" did Vanilla have that are missing from modern WoW?
11/14/2018 04:21 AMPosted by Gripp
The world is so much bigger and so much more dangerous. Each fight reminded me of dark souls.

No it's not. It's the same world, actually even smaller and also why it's dangerous is not because mobs are remotely interesting or do cool stuff.

It's because they hit like trucks and you don't even have the proper tools to deal with them.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Classic had a cohesive world. There was no sharding or CRZ. Every aspect of the game was relevant, meaningful, and engaging. We didn’t have stupidly high health pools. There aren’t multiple difficulties, so mobs always represent static benchmarks to compare yourself to. And also represent particularly designed obstacles to overcome. There’s no easy “i win” mode to everything.
Sharding or CRZ - agreed there, but this was done because severs were dying all the time. I know, at the beginning for launch, there will be sharding/CRZ to deal with the heavy load at starting locations, but then it'll move to server-only. If the population dies down, you're going to be in the same boat that people complained about in Vanilla. Did you ever experience this?

Every aspect of the game was relevant? That's not true. After you cleared MC and were well into BWL, nothing else in the game rewarded comparable gear. Back when I was raiding in Vanilla it was all raiding or gathering mats for raids.

Stupidly high health pools? It's all percentages. It's great that there weren't 150k health pools, but you're hitting for like 150 damage in Vanilla. It's not the number that matters, it's the percent of HP you're damaging/healing for. If the visual number bothers you, then sure I guess.

The static difficulty of mobs is kind of the problem mentioned above. Once you're doing BWL, there's absolutely no reason to do dungeons. Once a warrior gets that extra-attack trinket from BRD you never went back in there again. The world becomes much smaller once you're raiding as there's nothing else to do with your time that gives virtual rewards. Anything you're doing outside of raids is content that you make of it. That's not something that's special to WoW Classic. That's something you can do in any game.

If all you do is race to max level and raid, then some of what you're describing with content becoming irrelevant would be an issue. But aside from that probably not representing the majority of Classic players, it certainly doesn't represent me.

Big health pools bother me for one because of the number bloat. But it also makes no sense the way it's implemented. I went from 20k to 90k health while leveling from 110-120, but I got -weaker-. I had ZERO sense of supposedly becoming nearly 5 times as tough. It was just bigger for the sake of being bigger. I can't even measure it vs old content because I just get crazy damage multipliers against it.

Classic numbers matter and cohesively represent power progression from 1-max.

"Anything you're doing outside of raids is content that you make of it. That's not something that's special to WoW Classic. That's something you can do in any game."

Yes and no. Every game is partly what you make of it, but it's also true that every aspect of a game's design matters and has an effect on what type of community and sub communities form.
11/14/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Zalathel
No it's not. It's the same world, actually even smaller and also why it's dangerous is not because mobs are remotely interesting or do cool stuff.

It's because they hit like trucks and you don't even have the proper tools to deal with them.

How big a virtual world seems depends on more than just the number of virtual inches across it is. Low Hearthstone CDs, more portals, more flight paths, more mailboxes, early access to ground mounts, flying...

All of those things serve to make the world feel a lot smaller.
11/14/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Nysalla
How big a virtual world seems depends on more than just the number of virtual inches across it is. Low Hearthstone CDs, more portals, more flight paths, more mailboxes, early access to ground mounts, flying...

All of those things serve to make the world feel a lot smaller.

Not really, it's still not a living world. I still aim to try Classic but I'm being more realistic.

Or maybe I'm tricking myself that going through some zones for the 50th time now again will be different.
11/14/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Zalathel
Not really, it's still not a living world. I still aim to try Classic but I'm being more realistic.

[/quote]

Yes, really. If the maximum speed you can travel is slower, your perception of how "big" something is changes drastically. I'm not saying it "physically" makes it bigger. It's your perception of it that changes. And that's not nothing.
11/14/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Nysalla
...Sharding or CRZ - agreed there, but this was done because severs were dying all the time. I know, at the beginning for launch, there will be sharding/CRZ to deal with the heavy load at starting locations, but then it'll move to server-only. If the population dies down, you're going to be in the same boat that people complained about in Vanilla. Did you ever experience this?

Every aspect of the game was relevant? That's not true. After you cleared MC and were well into BWL, nothing else in the game rewarded comparable gear. Back when I was raiding in Vanilla it was all raiding or gathering mats for raids.

Stupidly high health pools? It's all percentages. It's great that there weren't 150k health pools, but you're hitting for like 150 damage in Vanilla. It's not the number that matters, it's the percent of HP you're damaging/healing for. If the visual number bothers you, then sure I guess.

The static difficulty of mobs is kind of the problem mentioned above. Once you're doing BWL, there's absolutely no reason to do dungeons. Once a warrior gets that extra-attack trinket from BRD you never went back in there again. The world becomes much smaller once you're raiding as there's nothing else to do with your time that gives virtual rewards. Anything you're doing outside of raids is content that you make of it. That's not something that's special to WoW Classic. That's something you can do in any game.

If all you do is race to max level and raid, then some of what you're describing with content becoming irrelevant would be an issue. But aside from that probably not representing the majority of Classic players, it certainly doesn't represent me.

Big health pools bother me for one because of the number bloat. But it also makes no sense the way it's implemented. I went from 20k to 90k while leveling from 110-120, but I got -weaker-. I had ZERO sense of becoming nearly 5 times as tough. Classic numbers matter and cohesively represent power progression from 1-max.

"Anything you're doing outside of raids is content that you make of it. That's not something that's special to WoW Classic. That's something you can do in any game."

Yes and no. Every game is partly what you make of it, but it's also true that every aspect of a game's design matters and has an effect on what type of community and sub communities form.
Yeah I really HATE the number bloat, I was satisfied with my hp after the squish during pre-BfA patch.

When your health goes up in the Ks it just feels meaningless.
Sadly it wont be what it once was. Too many people know things about the game that wasn’t widespread at the time. We’re just going to see such little class diversity that you might as well just call it The world or warriors and rogues.
Back in the day I waited in line for an hour to play a game of space invaders....

If they put a space invaders game in the mall today would I wait in line for an hour to play it?

I'm also not going to play the base version of a game that has had 14 years of upgrades and improvements removed from it.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should
11/14/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Smoph
Sadly it wont be what it once was. Too many people know things about the game that wasn’t widespread at the time. We’re just going to see such little class diversity that you might as well just call it The world or warriors and rogues.

It's true that people know more, and things will be able to be looked up a lot easier. But I'm planning to try and find, or maybe start a guild whose premise is to ignore that kind of thing and encourage people to play the game how they want to.

Especially on RP realms there will be plenty of opportunity for people to form that kind of community.

Consider this: People still like to build fires even though we have electric heating and can have as much light as we want with the press of a button or flick of a switch. We still listen to scratchy sounding records even though we can dial up any song ever recorded in a matter of seconds from our phones. Just because a certain level of efficiency is possible doesn't mean that it's inevitable that everyone falls into the same type of behavior :).
11/14/2018 05:27 AMPosted by Leyami
The glasses Classic fans wear are a truly deep rose in color.

In short order, The Grind will break most of them, they'll find the travel time between `challenges' a constant frustration, and the lack of gold...coupled with the cost of living (reagents, training, repairs, flights, etc.) and competition for resources...will have them pining for the conveniences of `retail' they are so dismissive of.

I'm honestly not trying to dissuade people from playing classic, but a realistic understanding of what it was really like should be acknowledged.

Some of us remember EXACTLY what it was like, and it was AWESOME.

I played the demo, I'm going through serious withdrawal after only a few days because I've been wishing for a return to this for a few years now.

Everything you speak of so negatively was a positive in the game - there was a community and it was as tight as I'v ever seen a game community. The PVP was fun, the PvE was fun - there was almost no part of Vanilla I didn't absolutely LOVE.

Except fishing, screw that.
11/14/2018 08:42 AMPosted by Flashelas

Can you be more specific? What "RPG elements" did Vanilla have that are missing from modern WoW?

Off the top of my head: no LFD (which resulted in actual server communities where people recognized you), spell ranks, and world-spanning quest chains (not the on-rails stuff we’ve generally had since Cata).

Also, saying that Classic is like Dark Souls is laughable. Dark Souls is an action RPG whose combat mechanics are worlds above anything WoW could manage. Just because something is difficult - or in the case of Vanilla, tedious - doesn’t make it like Dark Souls. Auto-attacking Hogger and dying because he killed you faster than you could kill him with your bare-bones spellbook doesn’t indicate a complex game with a high skill ceiling.
11/14/2018 04:21 AMPosted by Gripp
I had no interest in it what so ever.

After watching the blizzcon demo - I can’t stop thinking about it. The combat it’s so visceral. The world is so much bigger and so much more dangerous. Each fight reminded me of dark souls.

I’ve been watching only classic and vanilla vids since blizzcon, it’s actually ruined retail for me. I was actually enjoying raiding in BFA but now I don’t want anything but to play classic and immerse myself in it.

What is this sorcery?

I heard vanilla wow was addictive, but really? I feel like I’m in withdrawal and I haven’t even played it yet.

I think I’m in trouble once it releases.

I don’t want to log into retail anymore :(

Ppl believe Vanilla had crappy graphics but actually if you turned everything on ultra it was really beautiful.

The world is very dangerous. Everything you do in the game as in gear, lvl, payer knowledge, players skill, professions, and build actually matters. I think ppl think raids are going to face roll but will find out you still have mechanics with crazy threat.

Nothing is given in Vanilla and it’s not a never ending grind.
Ppl actually have to do what you did to get where you’re at in the game. You can stop raiding in BWL gear and be ok. You don’t have to go higher. Some blues or boe are BiS as well. So you don’t have to raid just know how you want your toon build and you will be ok. So many ways to play.

Reason why each one matters.
Gear: can make it easier to kill other players or content.

Level: same as gear.

Player knowledge: all the elixir/potions/food/areas to ambush/ use of surroundings. Example a lvl 30 can kill a level 47 with knowledge mixed with kill. I have done it. Of course a 47 can one shot a 30 but you as player have to know your surroundings and know your class.

Skill: matters some as well. Rogues are proof with skill /knowledge. Rogues are pretty much weakest class in PvP in a one vs one yet still get kills in Vanilla. If you think they are strong well believe what you want.

Professions: actually can make you gold and/or make your character stronger.

Theory craft/build: yea you could go with the crowd do a cookie cutter build or discover something unless. About 6 to 8 years ago a player discovered you could stack spell dmg on a rogue to increase poison dmg on a rogue(vanilla been out 14 almost 15 years). Other builds have been recently discovered with gear/build for certain hybrid classes that would make them beyond strong in PvP. Of course it would take gold/certain professions/time to acquire the right gear.
man, finally getting shoulder was such an awesome feeling. I cant wait to get back to old WOW again.
And most of them did that simply because it was free to play. It will surely get some numbers, but don't pretend for a second that all those people on pservers were there solely for the game and not the fact that it was free.

then why aren't they playing private servers of the more modern expansions like MoP - Legion?

you really need to use your brain before trying to sound smart.
11/14/2018 05:07 AMPosted by Juuhachigou
Cant wait to make my Blood Elf Paladin in Classic.

you mean Human Blood Elf didn't happen until BC