Classic hit me like a truck

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 11 Next
11/14/2018 04:25 AMPosted by Lovefool
I am waiting for classic as well. Want that thrilling challenge back again.
Same. Can't play anything else.
My opinion on classic is that if you've never played it, you're in for a shock. Like, if you joined anywhere between cata and bfa, lots of things won't even make sense to you. Lots of "lol what?" moments ahead. Some will like it I hope but a whole damn lot of people will /surrender and never log on classic again.

I think I'll level for the sole purpose of helping Mankrik finding his wife and then retire as a hero.

Oh wait...

You believe you will put it down.. poor bastard is going to get addicted again. Haha.

Very doubtful be we'll see. The world will feel empty AF though the minute you get out of Org. Nothing like Vanilla days.

Also, be ready for a huge faction imbalance too, right off the bat. Lots of undead rogues/mages ahead too.
11/14/2018 11:01 AMPosted by Agonyy
My opinion on classic is that if you've never played it, you're in for a shock. Like, if you joined anywhere between cata and bfa, lots of things won't even make sense to you. Lots of "lol what?" moments ahead. Some will like it I hope but a whole damn lot of people will /surrender and never log on classic again.

even if only 10-20% of new players trying it like it and will keep playing it, thats good

I actually came across TONS of players on private servers who said they started in Cata or later, and they told me they were having way more fun in Vanilla than they had in modern WoW :)

I'd be curious to have some kind of metric to measure how many players your TONS is composed of. I mean, if they play Vanilla on private servers they must all enjoy it. However, in the grand scheme of things, this is hardly TONS of players compared to the actual playerbase.

Let's not over-exagerate here ;)
people can check out the Classic Cast

they are live right now

www.twitch.tv/esfandtv
11/14/2018 05:22 AMPosted by Kithicor
I'm giggling at these "classic was challenging" posts.
Could a level 1 mob whip your !@#? No?
Could you still quest and dungeon grind to max level in a month or so? Yeah?
Did mobs chase you clear across the zone for minutes at a time, forcing you to be extremely careful at all times as you traversed the land? No?

Classic was never challenging, it was just slower than today's version of the game and the questing path was not nearly as efficient as it is today. I liked the old talent trees though, far more than this one choice every 15 levels garbage we have now.
I'll be taking Classic for a spin, but just hold off on the whole "it was so challenging" nonsense.

I see you got credit for the warlock green flame quest, if someone who did a mage tower achieve last expansion but had never done the green flame quest made a post saying that the lock quest was easy by comparison, how would you respond?

Meanwhile in current Mythic raiding we're still dealing with mechanics from Vanilla like Eye Beam.
11/14/2018 04:31 AMPosted by Aewendil
Cause killing 1 mob at a time with the 1 ability on your action bar then having to eat after each pull is so exciting.

Of course, the reality is that even in the Classic demo capped at 19 you had more abilities than at 120 in BFA.
I enjoy the GD's opinion on Classic. It's going to be quite nice when we finally get our servers and they'll see just how wrong they are.

11/14/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Grossebaffe
Very doubtful be we'll see. The world will feel empty AF though the minute you get out of Org. Nothing like Vanilla days.

Also, be ready for a huge faction imbalance too, right off the bat. Lots of undead rogues/mages ahead too.

Given that you only need the normal sub to access Classic and if PS's are anything to go by, the factions are less imbalanced than they are right now in live. We don't know if that will translate to Classic or not but while there are a lot of undead, the most populous class from the metrics we've seen were warriors.
11/14/2018 04:47 AMPosted by Grabmytotem
I can understand the appeal of leveling but then what? Way i heard it molten core and the like had like 0 mechanics and you could or did in fact go AFK at parts for several minutes because there was nothing to do but auto attack? How is that fun and engaging?

Mechanics huh?
Running out of the raid cos you are "The Bomb" to not kill those around you - Vanilla
Spreading out for "Eye Beam" so you don't chain others and wipe the raid - Vanilla
Switching targets to interrupt a cast that can one shot people - Vanilla
Tank switching to deal with debuffs or cd's - Vanilla
Dodging fire on the ground - Vanilla

You know what, it would be easier to try and find mechanics that weren't in Vanilla.

Going afk and auto-attacking? You're thinking of LFR perhaps.

Here's some stats from ND (6 months old)..stats updated every 15 minutes.

Horde/Alliance is 46%/53%
Warrior is most played 23% (but who knows how many make it to 60)
Mage/Rogue/Hunter..all around 13%
least played druid/shaman at around 6%

Total characters created about 720K
Players at level 60 ..5% (24K)
I still remember that amazing feeling playing (vanilla) wow for the first time all those years ago and instantly falling in love with the game, I miss that feeling so much.
the game gets increasingly more indepth and challenging, all packed into 2 continents, instead of 8 + 2 off worlds (draenor, outlands).

the professions all work again.

the focus is on teamwork from the first dungeon (and in many cases, just in normal questing, such as trying to finish moonbrook quests with defias mages nuking everybody or stitches mowing everyone under level 40 down, including all the npcs in darkshire or nesingwary's bag filling pages quests).

the odd drops that do unique and useful things. the random weirdness. quirky, funny, irritating, unique, satisfying (progress feels like progress)

feeding pet again. learning your class again. quivers. rogue poisons. ankhs. portal stones.

buffs for group members return: mark of the wild, paladin blessings, mage intellect, priest fortitude, priest fear ward, etc.

all the iconic stuff will be back.
11/14/2018 05:25 AMPosted by Zenfixi
It's funny that people complain about lack of rewards with weekly caches, but want to go back to waiting many months for a single piece of gear.

After working in a 40 man raid for 6 months to get one piece of gear, I never want to return to vanilla wow...ever. And I'm sad the developers are wasting time with it, as I think 99% of people who want to play it won't last 6 months in it.

And, with their nostalgia destroyed, they might leave for good this time. It's a risky move that will blow up in Bliz's face.

I kind of feel sorry for people like you. having to come crap on what someone else enjoys to make yourself feel better some how. its not a waste of time as no resourses are being taken from retail, amazing how some of you cant seem to understand that

you realize the target audience is the people that have been playing private servers for years right? that's not nostalgia, that's just game preference. Finalyy getting that piece of loot actually feels like something earned than opening a box every week and hoping its good.
11/14/2018 04:37 AMPosted by Gripp
11/14/2018 04:35 AMPosted by Limelight
...What?

Warrior questing reminded me of dark souls type of fighting, hamstring kiting, weaving in and out, stance and weapon swapping.

Yes exactly, as a warrior -especially at low levels- if you want to survive against a caster, or a hunter, you have to switch to defensive stance until you can close the gap. Otherwise you'll be completely owned. The demo doesn't showcase the anxiety and true fear a warrior can feel though. Killing mobs is a chore and a group of mobs is even more challenging (sometimes impossible to face alone), but add the element of WPVP and the world is sooo dangerous. If I kill a mob and it only takes 25% of my hp away, I still heal. Why? Because a rogue may be watching and waiting for me to get greedy and take another mob that will drop my hp down to 50% and I will quickly die to his gank. I LOVE THIS! The paranoid feeling during one's first playthrough of Dark Souls is a lot like this. The difference is that leveling as a warrior on a pvp server is close to as challenging as it is every time you attempt it due to the skill level of other enemy players and the lack of utility in the warrior tool set early on. While it seems impossible for a warrior, when you do manage your stances well and place your shield bash just right, you can beat mages from time to time and it feels GLORIOUS because you know how the game is stacked against you at lower levels.

You believe you will put it down.. poor bastard is going to get addicted again. Haha.

Empty like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu-JMqNTn-M
11/14/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Hypêrspace
the game gets increasingly more indepth and challenging, all packed into 2 continents, instead of 8 + 2 off worlds (draenor, outlands).

the focus is on teamwork from the first dungeon (and in many cases, just in normal questing, such as trying to finish moonbrook quests with defias mages nuking everybody or stitches mowing everyone under level 40 down, including all the npcs in darkshire or nesingwary's bag filling pages quests).

the odd drops that do unique and useful things. the random weirdness. quirky, funny, irritating, unique, satisfying (progress feels like progress)

One of the big bonuses for me is knowing how strong something is when it drops, rather than having to sim - or hope it rolls well. The base RNG is just having it drop, the rest is getting it. Also some specific pieces that are high in demand, like the Badge of Justice, or even more so the Truestrike Shoulders. Rogues, Warriors, Hunters, heck Enhancement Shaman and Feral will be going for them too. I miss building a pre-raid set, as that was fun for me.

Beyond that it's the RPG mechanics - the world, having to explore, making decisions, preparing for a journey, etc. Rather than just flying or teleporting there, and not needing food/water/bandages because you just regen. Feeding your pet, taming other beasts to learn new ranks of abilities to teach your main pet... all of it.
11/14/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Espur
11/14/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Hypêrspace

One of the big bonuses for me is knowing how strong something is when it drops, rather than having to sim - or hope it rolls well. The base RNG is just having it drop, the rest is getting it. Also some specific pieces that are high in demand, like the Badge of Justice, or even more so the Truestrike Shoulders. Rogues, Warriors, Hunters, heck Enhancement Shaman and Feral will be going for them too. I miss building a pre-raid set, as that was fun for me.

Beyond that it's the RPG mechanics - the world, having to explore, making decisions, preparing for a journey, etc. Rather than just flying or teleporting there, and not needing food/water/bandages because you just regen. Feeding your pet, taming other beasts to learn new ranks of abilities to teach your main pet... all of it.

having to learn fishing and first aid and cooking. you play the whole game, essentially. and oh my if it is successful, may we get tbc. i loved tbc. in fact, this is my favorite music in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSBBxm3yTr0
What have people been doing for 15 years that they still consider Vanilla leveling challenging? Talk about some serious stagnation. It wasn't even challenging on day 1.
i cant wait to run classic scholomance.
my favorite vanilla dungeon.
i'm looking forward to the weirdness of sunken temple.
the unique nooks and crannies of vanilla.
(i could do without that weird dot in stratholme though. think it was called cadaver worms. stopped natural regen. and ticked like 30 hp every 5 seconds for a half hour or something crazy like that)

was lower blackrock spire a 5 man in patch 1.12?

eek when do we get to beta test this lovely thing?
11/14/2018 04:29 AMPosted by Lovefool
11/14/2018 04:26 AMPosted by Shadøw
I want that challenge of leveling a warrior to 20 again.

And getting your first set of gray shoulder pads.

Never underestimate the excitement of getting your first shoulder drop and your first helm drop.

YES I WILL WEAR THIS FLOPPY HAT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH RNJESUS.
11/14/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Parthena
11/14/2018 04:29 AMPosted by Lovefool

And getting your first set of gray shoulder pads.

Never underestimate the excitement of getting your first shoulder drop and your first helm drop.

YES I WILL WEAR THIS FLOPPY HAT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH RNJESUS.

i will wear any hat provided it's not whitemane's chapeau. perhaps the ugliest hat in the game hehe