Blizzard: Never Give In To Children Crying

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
One of the biggest rules in parenting is that when a child is crying about something you shouldn't give in or else they'll cry even more. It creates a cycle where they will literally cry at everything because they know eventually you'll give in and reward them. Nothing has been closer to this than what the Alliance is doing: boycott War Mode. Now you're giving them incentives for turning it back on which will in the long run just make them cry more.

The incentive for having War Mode on should be greater for BOTH factions so players feel crippled by having it off. The problem right now is the bonus is so small that many Alliance players opt-out in favor of increased productivity. If War Mode provided more incentive for BOTH factions you would have actual battles happening on a regular basis competing for those greatly increased rewards. Faction imbalance isn't the core problem here; it's the small 10% increased rewards that are worth it until you get camped for an hour.

Ultimately what a fix like this is going to do is going to result in dramatic power swings as each faction turns it on and off each week as risk and rewards change. To have a real impact on participation in War Mode we need to see some core shifts like bounties being unable to use flight paths, greatly increased honor rewards (making actual world PvP a viable grinding strategy), and a greater incentive than just a 10% bonus.
Let's not listen to the crying op about warmode blahblahblah and just ignore pvp till it dies, yeah!
k
You are confusing the issue here (at least from my point of view) - I am not boycotting anything. I am choosing to participate or not based on my mood, toon being played, etc.

Please do not attach your own conclusions to someone else's choice.

(gives OP a little tray of cookies!)
11/14/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Empowerments
One of the biggest rules in parenting is that when a child is crying about something you shouldn't give in or else they'll cry even more. It creates a cycle where they will literally cry at everything because they know eventually you'll give in and reward them. Nothing has been closer to this than what the Alliance is doing: boycott War Mode. Now you're giving them incentives for turning it back on which will in the long run just make them cry more.

The incentive for having War Mode on should be greater for BOTH factions so players feel crippled by having it off. The problem right now is the bonus is so small that many Alliance players opt-out in favor of increased productivity. If War Mode provided more incentive for BOTH factions you would have actual battles happening on a regular basis competing for those greatly increased rewards. Faction imbalance isn't the core problem here; it's the small 10% increased rewards that are worth it until you get camped for an hour.

Ultimately what a fix like this is going to do is going to result in dramatic power swings as each faction turns it on and off each week as risk and rewards change. To have a real impact on participation in War Mode we need to see some core shifts like bounties being unable to use flight paths, greatly increased honor rewards (making actual world PvP a viable grinding strategy), and a greater incentive than just a 10% bonus.

I have been trying to tell them this for years but I suspect none of them have children so they are turning all the children in this game into spoiled brats.

I don't agree with your assessment of this warmode issue though. I didn't hear alliance crying at all - in fact I saw a number of threads from horde players wanting to give alliance more incentive.
Except parents wont become destitute if their kids all abandon them lol

Kids are a financial drain on their parents for the first 20~ years of their life, Blizzard needs us to survive.
11/14/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Empowerments
One of the biggest rules in parenting is that when a child is crying about something you shouldn't give in or else they'll cry even more.

I'd say the biggest rule of parenting is being open to each situation as it arises. As parents, we're not infallible. If you've never made a mistake in parenting, you're ignoring reality.

edit: typos
100% agreed: horde really needs to stop sobbing about everything.

It's refreshing to see a horde player acknowledge this.
This isn't parenting.

They give in to bleeding subscribers because they are held accountable by shareholders.

Stop trying to relate two completely unrelatable topics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oAahtmFJ9Q
YES BLIZZARD!

Now is the perfect time! Reveal the truth! Flying will not be a part of BfA or any other future expansion!

In fact the truest meaning behind everything is the conversion of this game to mobile!!

Ignore the cries Blizzard! They think they do not want these things... but they do!
Btw - what exactly is OP referring to. What changes to warmode are happening ?

Blizzard suspects many Alliance players had "rough experiences early on and opted out" of War Mode, and the increased rewards may bring people back in.

Is Ion for real? He thinks that increased rewards will bring alliance back into warmode, when the vast majority of alliance have forgotten that warmode even exists?

This kind of measure is too little too late. A few alliance may turn on warmode, find themselves getting facing repeated 10v1 situations and then turn it off again.
Some time ago we made a hotfix to War Mode which enforces all War Mode shards that have both Alliance and Horde in them to have a stricter, more even ratio. We’ve been monitoring the results and so far we’ve noticed a significant improvement in “fair and balanced” shards. So much so that it’s safe to say that if you are Alliance, and you see Horde in the outdoor world in War Mode, you are a relatively even horde to alliance ratio shard. There are some rare exceptions, such as when a raid of 40 players enter a zone. It may take a bit for the “shard manager” to compensate and balance the shard.

We do have some plans in store in Tides of Vengeance (Patch 8.1) to entice the underrepresented faction with greater rewards to increase participation and create more active Horde/Allianced mixed War Mode shards. The intent of those rewards is not to give the underrepresented faction some “compensation” for being outnumbered in a War Mode shard (since that really can’t happen anymore).

We're also looking forward to what you all think about the Incursions in War Mode for 8.1, since it brings Horde and Alliance to the same location which should create some pretty fun skirmishes.

Nvm - nothing really. I have no idea what OP is even talking about.
11/14/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Amine
Btw - what exactly is OP referring to. What changes to warmode are happening ?

Someone made a thread claiming PTR had the Alliance, in Warmode, with a 30% bonus. I don't play PTR and it's not in the notes released today.

edit: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769589673?page=1
I, too, agree that Blizzard should not try to improve their game to satisfy a majority of players.
Crying children are literally the worst. Esp. on planes. Have you ever been on a 5 hour flight with a kid who just cried the whole time...
11/14/2018 06:08 PMPosted by Prizn
These ‘good parents’ also traumatize their kids with religion and the concept of heaven and hell.

Sounds like someone has made up their mind about the way the world works because they had to go to church instead of staying home and playing video games.
they announced at blizzcon that the rewards for warmode are going to start to fluctuate based on how outnumbered your faction is. so the base is 10% bonus, and it goes up from there if your faction is outnumbered. So since horde dominate in warmode at the moment, they will get the standard 10% and the intrepid alliance that use warmode will get more then that.
Kid crying because they are hungry.

Op: not feeding you because, you don't always get what you want!