Uldir & Zul

Story Forum
The story for Uldir, and to some extent Zul, has been extremely weak; which isn't exactly new for the first raid of the expansion, but Emerald Nightmare seemed to manage to break from that trend, and while Zul himself was mostly fine, and the plots of the three individual zones work well, key 110 stuff seems to fall flat. At least in my opinion.

-Zul-

The main problem with Zul's whole storyline is, first and foremost, that exactly why he wants Dazar, specifically, as his king is really never explained. What's so special about Dazar? Yes he's the first king, but what did he do? What are his accomplishments? His powers? Why is he such a threat to even the loa? How'd he get that strong? None of these questions are answered, nor why Zul specifically went after him. Just being first king doesn't seem like a promise of being useful either; Thoras Trollbane was the first human king, but Arthas never saw any point to raising him for conquest. And Dazar isn't specifically said to have conquered anything, and even 'warrior undefeated' is kind of meaningless without any expansion. Maybe he only ever fought a handful of wusses. There, undefeated.

Another problem with Zul, and tying into Uldir, is there don't seem to be any quests covering his move into Kings' Rest. The Alliance gets the whole Jaina Campaign that leads into Siege of Boralus. I was expecting something similar for Zul and his assault on Kings' Rest, but that doesn't happen. He escapes at the end of the Zuldazar plot, going into Kings' Rest, and then suddenly he's fled Zuldazar and returns as part of the Blood Trolls. There's not covering of that transition, or even a quest sending you into Kings' Rest.

Thirdly, there's nothing actually sending Horde characters into Uldir. A scenario that ends with the seal shattering, you'd think, would follow up with a quest to enter Uldir and stop the Blood God. But nope! Nothin. So the whole thing just ends up falling flat, and ultimately ends up largely wasting all the build up across Zandalar.

Very poorly handled guys, even by first raid standards.
The main problem with Zul's whole storyline is, first and foremost, that exactly why he wants Dazar, specifically, as his king is really never explained. What's so special about Dazar?

He wanted Dazar to be a leader. He united the troll tribes to found the Zandalari.

He's not looking for some massively powerful troll that can smite Loa or anything. He wants someone that once led the Zandalari to glory to once more do so, since he sees Rastakhan as a failed leader. He wants Dazar for his leadership, not power.

That's why so much empathsis is put on him being a King. That;s what Zul wants, the King that brought them to glory to once more do so.

I suppose it would be like wanting to revive George Washington. Sure, you could pick another President to raise instead, but George's status as the First president as well as one of the leaders of the Revolution that founded America gives it more status.

11/15/2018 01:54 AMPosted by Dathrel
Thoras Trollbane was the first human king, but Arthas never saw any point to raising him for conquest

You mean Thoradin?

Another problem with Zul, and tying into Uldir, is there don't seem to be any quests covering his move into Kings' Rest

The quests covering that is the entire last part of Zuldazar. When we actually go there it's where Rezan dies. You are given a quest at the end of those quests to do the dungeon.

As for King's, I think it's supposed to just be the part II of Atal'dazar. It's definitely poorly explained, but you are supposed to pretty go straight from Atal'dazar into King's Rest. And it's poorly explained.

I wonder if Atal'dazar and King's Rest was supposed to be a single instance once.
Honestly i did not like the story of zul. All the hype that was built up in the past was for nothing. I thought he was stronger, but guess he wasnt at all.
11/15/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Chåoslord
Honestly i did not like the story of zul. All the hype that was built up in the past was for nothing. I thought he was stronger, but guess he wasnt at all.

Their problem with Zul was making him an old god cultist instead of his own villain, because god forbid we actually have someone with motivations of their own instead of just being corrupted by whispering tentacle monsters.

His endgame should have been reviving Dazar with G'huun not being a factor. As things are now Kings' Rest feels like an afterthought, like Blizz realized "oh crap we forgot to give that plotline an ending."
11/15/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Chåoslord

i was so disappointed with zul, he seemed like a really interesting villain with his own motives.. annd he is just a generic old god cultist who wants to drown the world in blood and decay /sigh.
in fact, he was a far better villain than ashvane who apparently only is hungry for power and to rule kultiras but not to help the people but rather than herself.
or gorak tul "i want revenge omegalul..well, i lost 3 times in the same patch"
Boring.
Thirdly, there's nothing actually sending Horde characters into Uldir. A scenario that ends with the seal shattering, you'd think, would follow up with a quest to enter Uldir and stop the Blood God. But nope! Nothin. So the whole thing just ends up falling flat, and ultimately ends up largely wasting all the build up across Zandalar.
On the upside, at least that means there's parity. Alliance have no meaningful reason to invade at that moment beyond stopping an Old God, and I guess the Horde don't either.