Latest q&a showed us the disconnected devs

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
This last dev q&a honestly felt like a joke. The dodging of questions, the fast that they are still having a hard-on for the az gear that no one likes, and the fact that they still don’t want to have az gear reforged, nor do they want to allow it to change specs.

These are all the things that we have told you that the whole player base wants. There are countless posts saying the devs need to change Az gear so that it swaps with spec, cuz tier gear did this in legion. How is it in legion the gear was able to swap specs with no issue but now the devs freak out when ever we ask for it?

Why are the devs going backwards? Why are the devs so disconnected from the community? Do the devs even play wow anymore?

I miss the old days with Jeff k, he was in a guild that was pushing bosses constantly so he knew what was going on and he was hard in the community.
10/12/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Stormageddòn
These are all the things that we have told you that the whole player base wants.

Just because we want something doesn't mean we're going to get it. Often times there are technical limitations that simply prohibit doing certain things and thus what we want is simply unobtainable.

There are countless posts saying the devs need to change Az gear so that it swaps with spec, cuz tier gear did this in legion. How is it in legion the gear was able to swap specs with no issue but now the devs freak out when ever we ask for it?

That ideology worked for tier sets primarily because most specializations placed a significant value on having those 4pc bonuses.

I think the major draw back with Azerite is that the Helm/Shoulder/Chest you would use for your main spec is more likely to not be what you'd use for your secondary spec.

Sure you may have some overlap with a piece or two or you may be the type of player who doesn't care about min/max. I believe that Blizzard finds those two buckets of players are actually the minority here and they'd rather focus on doing better azerite gear itemization to avoid that.

Why are the devs so disconnected from the community?

I've felt like this from time to time on various things in the past. I've been around this game since 2004 and the one thing I've observed over the years is that a lot of this is community perception driven.

One of the changes Blizzard made during Legion was to separate into smaller teams that focus on very niche aspects of the game. Those teams are all pushing changes at varied rates into each patch. When the one thing we want isn't included or is still being designed/flushed out but we hear little to no feedback, we begin to feel they're out of touch with us.

I do think it's important to articulate our concerns and make them known. I think its equally important that Blizzard understand the player base's frustration with systems that aren't really working.

But it's also equally important that players understand that change doesn't happen over night and that there are often many side effects that need to be considered for any change that is introduced to a system. In short, players cannot loose sight of the fact the game's longevity must out-weigh that of the short-term gain.

In closing, let me be clear. I think there is a lot in which Blizzard can improve upon. There is certainly a lot of things that I believe they missed the mark on entirely this expansion, and I truly think they know that. But I also know that when designing systems, there are often aspects that once developed and in the wild, you cannot always radically change them mid-cycle.

That's where azerite is now.

They can apply band-aid solutions to try and improve the system, but it simply isn't something that they can just add a drop-in replacement for right now.
Almost every Q & A shows a disconnect between blizzard and the playerbase.

What it really comes down to is they dont care what we want. They have visions for their game and their classes, and even when the mass majority of player feedback points to something being negative, like the GCD changes for example, they dont care. Once in awhile they make a compromise on certain things players want, but it takes a lot of rooting first.

My favorite quote from the Q&A was "we don't normally get a lot of class related questions". I spit beer out of my nose. I fell over in my chair. Even my dog started laughing. They honestly think their players are a bunch of idiots and cant tell when we're being lied to.
10/12/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Antaris
My favorite quote from the Q&A was "we don't normally get a lot of class related questions". I spit beer out of my nose. I fell over in my chair. Even my dog started laughing. They honestly think their players are a bunch of idiots and cant tell when we're being lied to.

welp. wow. def staying unsubbed now.
I just have the need to point out how wildly inconsistent their goals are from xpac to xpac.

Legion: (not dual-spec friendly)
    Artifacts swapped automatically with spec
    Relics had one executable effect but would adjust to spec
    Tier sets changed automatically with spec
    The only drawback (a large one) was multiple avenues of AP farming

BFA: ("dual-spec friendly")
    AP is accumulated in spec-agnostic fashion, problem solved!
    Weapons no longer swap (I'll throw a bone here and say it's understandable)
    Azerite traits don't even give the illusion of choice, as there is a single trait relevant on a given level, AND
    Azerite doesn't even shift with spec

For the life of me, I don't understand why they scramble over themselves to fix something that was the biggest complaint in a previous expansion by dismantling every good thing that expansion built. I'm also flabbergasted that they manage to simultaneously make Azerite gear as important as legendaries and as throwaway as grays.
I'm not nearly as salty about the whole Azerite issues as I am about the blatant "We know about class imbalance, its on the radar. Just wait and keep paying us" attitude.

There is no polish to classes, quite a few specs have been left in the dust with incomplete tools to satisfy the requirements of their chosen spec. The loss of artifact traits/abilities is part of the problem.

Tank balance is in a state of disarray.

I don't know where healers are at balance wise.

We all know feedback was given in Alpha/Beta and it was ignored.

Blizzard is not the company it once was, and that makes me a bit sad. I love blizzard games, its one of the few companies I could trust with preorders. This expac has proved that I might need to rethink that.
10/12/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Brokenclaws
I don't know where healers are at balance wise.

Monk and Priests are the meta. Others are just for niche or not viable at all.

They didn't say that they don't get a lot of class questions, they said they typically don't answer class specific questions on the q&a's.
@Naros

It's very nice to hear a voice of reasons and at the same time very sad that how a lot of people still ignore reasons and continue to listen to their conspiracy theories.
10/12/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Framesjanko

They didn't say that they don't get a lot of class questions, they said they typically don't answer class specific questions on the q&a's.

That's almost worse. Considering class design is a major point of concern in recent years, especially now. Just further proves that the Q&As dont serve much purpose.
If, as so mnay are saying, our opinions /feedback/whatever don't matter, tthen why do these forums even exist?
10/12/2018 01:47 PMPosted by Antaris
That's almost worse. Considering class design is a major point of concern in recent years, especially now. Just further proves that the Q&As dont serve much purpose.

This is why, every time somebody says "Blizzard needs to communicate more" I respond that, no, they really don't.

I have zero interest in more "communication" from Blizzard. I don't want more empty promises and pointless speeches justifying their design decisions.

I want them to FIX things.

I want them to spend 100% of their time FIXING things.

Not doing meaningless PR stunts.
I was disappointed with their response to respecting Azerite traits.

There is automatically “friction” because in order to respec you have to travel to Zandalar or Kul tiras.

And they could adjust the Azerite trait respec cost to make it go up 25% each time instead of 200%. Would still have friction exist, but not the kind that makes you want to quit the game when it’s over 10,000 gold to respec each time.

They could also make the rate decay faster instead of the slow rate it is now.

Even without constantly changing traits my respec cost is 5k right now, because of Azerite trait tuning they have already done requiring trait changes. Sorry thunderous blast.

For instance I have one 385 head piece. I tank for my raid so I have a vengeance specific trait. When I play Havoc My options are to use a 340 helm (feelsbad because ilevel is so important) or to go in m+ with traits that don’t apply at all to Havoc.

They could adjust the cost and decay time to help address these real and relevant issues. That would be the smart move. It would still leave friction in the game, but it would show they are listening and responding to our concerns.
From the Q&A:

Mythic+ items will get new traits, you won't be stuck with the same ones forever.

Yes, the uber-plentiful M+ azerite drops.

Only getting Azerite armor from the Mythic+ chest isn't great. The team is trying to come up with a solution that is a middle ground.

Hmm, perhaps M+ end-of-run chests.

There has to be some kind of restriction on how you can get Azerite armor, so it can't just have a chance to drop from every Mythic+.

Why? If the developers want these traits to be the entirety of the gameplay flavor this expansion, why do they want it determined by RNG instead of by player choice?

Most people only do one or two Mythic+ dungeons each week.

Because azerite doesn't drop from them. I guarantee you people will do a lot more if azerite dropped from the end-of-run chests.

The team wants to provide some way for you to target items from a specific dungeon, but they don't have a great solution yet.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

If the endgame was just Mythic+ dungeons, the team would just allow drops from the end of run chests.

Azerite drops in 15-ilvl increments and can't WF/TF. M+ caps out at 370. Mythic raiding caps out at 385. If you want the best items, you mythic raid. If you want to target traits, you do M+.

I really don't understand why the obvious solution is so difficult to see. It's almost like he's been dancing around the answer the whole time while facing in the opposite direction.