Rare specs in vanilla

Classic Discussion
11/01/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Caseofbeer
Hey,

I'm going to play vanilla more casually as I have a busier schedule now. I wanted to play something that not many people saw back in the day. I have a group of friends I play with and we wanted to tackle content with non optimal groups. We'll be Alliance.

Edit: Pve mostly but also able to PvP

Human melee priest... Which may not be good for PvP but would be fun to play.
Shaman tank.
11/01/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Curien
11/01/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Cidfrostfire
I honestly don't recall ever seeing a boomkin in Classic WoW.

That's just speaking from personal experience, of course. Maybe they were a thing. I just never saw one. I did see cat DPS and bear tanks a lot, but at least on my server, boomkins seemed pretty non existent.

A lot of raids did have one purely for the crit aura, but as others have said, oom insanely quick.

It alleviated a little bit with some spirit, but there were long periods in longer fights where you stood there casting nothing or very low rank spells.

I don't understand why so many boomkin just didn't switch weapon, go kitty and duck into meelee for abit while they waited on their mana potion CD and natural mana regen. Some damage is better than no damage.
11/01/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Nicho
11/01/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Caseofbeer

I was reading about that earlier today. I didn't understand it though because the talents in the balance tree seem really really good.

They are! A lot of people play balance in pvp now their issue is that they just oom sooooo fast and don't have abilities like evocation/mana gems/lifetap to help in fights longer than a minute or two. They have innervate but it is normally there for healers. I could be wrong but I believe a starfire is the highest, if not the second highest hitting ability if it crits.

Boomkins also had the ability to gain mana by melee attacking mobs in boomkin form.
11/01/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Thundathys
11/01/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Curien

A lot of raids did have one purely for the crit aura, but as others have said, oom insanely quick.

It alleviated a little bit with some spirit, but there were long periods in longer fights where you stood there casting nothing or very low rank spells.

I don't understand why so many boomkin just didn't switch weapon, go kitty and duck into meelee for abit while they waited on their mana potion CD and natural mana regen. Some damage is better than no damage.

I imagine in theory that’s what Blizzard had in mind with Druid given it was a hybrid class. But in reality it simply wouldn’t be efficient dps compared to any other dps spec/class.
11/01/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Scrawny

I imagine in theory that’s what Blizzard had in mind with Druid given it was a hybrid class. But in reality it simply wouldn’t be efficient dps compared to any other dps spec/class.

Omen of clarity procs off meelee swings.
With a resto talent you're getting 15% of your natural mana-regen in combat.
Shape shifting is comparatively cheap as chips.
You will do more damage in kitty form than sitting there regenning mana while trying to swing a weapon as a boomkin unless you've got a beastmode 2H.
You could always use an arcane mage as part of your group, they have access to a talent that buffs counter spell and that could be rare. They are ok in pvp and ok in pve.

You could chose a survival hunter as well, they have access to improve traps, wyvern sting, wingclip root, parry root ability, and increase your agility by a percentage.
They should be ok in pve dungeons and pvp.

Warlock destro spec was kinda rare.

Assassin rogues were rare I believe, most I had seen were combat and few were sub.
Pom/pyro mage

Arms warriors

Locks any spec
Boomkins had pretty significant threat issues on pull. Which always struck me as being weird since most npcs in the game have massive amounts of nature resist for no apparent reason.

I guess that tells you everything you need to know about their burst damage.
11/01/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Saqe
Pom/pyro mage

Arms warriors

Locks any spec

Arm Warriors rare lol, ok.
11/01/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Caseofbeer
Hey,

I'm going to play vanilla more casually as I have a busier schedule now. I wanted to play something that not many people saw back in the day. I have a group of friends I play with and we wanted to tackle content with non optimal groups. We'll be Alliance.

Edit: Pve mostly but also able to PvP

Sup bro.

Going prot paladin here.
11/01/2018 08:08 AMPosted by Fyedora
11/01/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Starrs
Smite priest

Always thought a holy dps priest would be a fun build :-)

Other suggestions:

1. Wand build caster
2. Melee hunter
3. Pure arcane mage (get literally every Arc talent in the tree)

if they go with 1.12 talents melee hunter is already dead

11/01/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Cidfrostfire
I honestly don't recall ever seeing a boomkin in Classic WoW.

That's just speaking from personal experience, of course. Maybe they were a thing. I just never saw one. I did see cat DPS and bear tanks a lot, but at least on my server, boomkins seemed pretty non existent.
moonkin wasnt a thing till 1.8 and after you would only really ever see them in pvp. so balance druids looked just like resto druids for alot of vanilla maybe you saw one and didnt even know