Why are we still paying $15/month?

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back. And I know for a fact that more people would try the full version of WoW if the game wasn't so pricey... I know first hand from trying to get friends to play with me.

As a high school student with car payments and insurance and such, it isn't always easy for me to pay for the game... but of course I love the game so I make do. I just don't understand why we're paying this much for a game (that's way past its prime) that would be worth as much as a gym membership or any other hobby that would probably benefit us more.

Edit: No where did I say the game should be free to play- don't know where people got that
Another edit: Thank you all for the replies, this has all been a bigger learning experience than what I have learned the past 13 years!
Because we're suckers.
11/04/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Kardiaco
Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back. And I know for a fact that more people would try the full version of WoW if the game wasn't so pricey... I know first hand from trying to get friends to play with me.

As a high school student with car payments and insurance and such, it isn't always easy for me to pay for the game... but of course I love the game so I make do. I just don't understand why we're paying this much for a game (that's way past its prime) that would be worth as much as a gym membership or any other hobby that would probably benefit us more.

It certainly is a oddity because with how WoW grew, there are options that is besides the subscription that should and more than likely kill off the need to pay for subscription because there are pets, a select few items, mounts, live services like level boosters and race changes, etc. They are costly on their own. Some going more than the monthly subscription. You'd think that would satisfy their pockets and keep the servers afloat. I could be wrong but given at this moment that WoW isn't doing too good, I may very well be wrong on that front.
Don't you have a job?
A dollar in 2004 is worth 33.6% more today.

The price of the sub has never gone up. So realistically a $15 sub should cost ~$20.05 today.

Also you can pay for your sub with gold.
11/04/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Rosemane

It certainly is a oddity because with how WoW grew, there are options that is besides the subscription that should and more than likely kill off the need to pay for subscription because there are pets, a select few items, mounts, live services like level boosters and race changes, etc. They are costly on their own. Some going more than the monthly subscription. You'd think that would satisfy their pockets and keep the servers afloat. I could be wrong but given at this moment that WoW isn't doing too good, I may very well be wrong on that front.

You would think that... but nope, lol
11/04/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Shinsmacker
Don't you have a job?

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play WoW
11/04/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Felyuda

The price of the sub has never gone up. So realistically a $15 sub should cost ~$20.05 today.

That is an option, but I don't have the free time to farm enough gold
Because the game isn't free.

Everyone who works on it, and at Blizzard, has to be paid.

I wish my cable bill was the same as it was ten years ago!
11/04/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Kardiaco

Ok. So pay in bulk and save money.

$15 is very fair for a month of entertainment.
Because F2P games suck, and games with a sub model are a far better model.
11/04/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Idun

Didn't say it had to be free! Just cheaper would suit the game better, in my opinion.
11/04/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Felyuda
11/04/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Kardiaco

Ok. So pay in bulk and save money.

$15 is very fair for a month of entertainment.

$15 is fair for a month of entertainment, but is it fair for WoW is my question
That won't bring people back. The people not playing either;

Don't like the game... have other priorities IRL... and simply will only play it if it is free.

If life gets in the way, then people should refocus on things that are more important, not make an invalid argument for a price reduction just because said person can't keep up with IRL payments.

The WoW team has a couple of hundred employee's that need to get paid... server maintenance... money put towards further patch content. It's not as black 'n white as others make it out to be.

You can always pay with tokens :) no cash required.

I've been paying with gold for about a year now
Gross, just pay with gold. This game isn't worth $15 per month anymore lol
11/04/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Kardiaco
11/04/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Idun

Didn't say it had to be free! Just cheaper would suit the game better, in my opinion.
I make enough gold just farming some herbs and ore for a month in 3 days.
I'm not, someone else is paying $20/mo so I can "play to pay".
I bought the 6 month deal with using tokens. And month of september I've already got 5 more tokens with only farmed for 2 weeks I to september. Took rest of the month off from farming.