Why are we still paying $15/month?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
11/04/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Weili
Because F2P games suck, and games with a sub model are a far better model.

Yeah because Fortnite isn't popular or anything....
You mean there are still people who don't pay for their sub with gold?
"What are we if not slaves to this torment"
11/04/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Kardiaco
I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back.

They did better than that: they made it FREE in 2016. Anyone can use game gold (purely fictional) in place of dollars for subscription months, since 2016.

Millions (or at least tens of thousands) of players do this, and play for free.
Lower sub fee == more microcrapactions. I’ll take the higher sub fee any day.
Its only $13 per month. A pretty good deal that gets better every year because of inflation.
11/04/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Kenshimoo
You mean there are still people who don't pay for their sub with gold?

People with more money than time. Unless I can farm a token in under 8 minutes, still cheaper to pay cash.
11/04/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Felyuda
11/04/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Kardiaco
$15 is fair for a month of entertainment, but is it fair for WoW is my question

Why wouldn't it be? I pay that much to watch a 2 hour movie without snacks. I get far more than 2 hours worth of entertainment out of this game a month.

11/04/2018 09:59 AMPosted by Kardiaco
Saying it's an excellent deal IS an opinion. Saying it's not worth it is an opinion also. And, my whole thing is that I feel that WoW doesn't have the content to keep up with the $15.

If you think like $0.50 a day/$3.50 a week is a bit too much for this game, IDK what to tell you, man. Go play something else.

If that's too much money, playing any video game shouldn't be a priority.
Why are we still paying $15/month?

Why?
Because Blizzard had been GENEROUS enough to not keep up with base inflation.
Frankly It wouldnt bother me for them to bump it up to $25 a month just to make sure those servers stay online.
And maybe that cost would filter out the cheap whiners who dont want to pay for a SERVICE they are more than happy to USE every month.
11/04/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Shinsmacker
Don't you have a job?

Theeere ya go.

Jesus Christ.. This game costs LESS than a freakin pizza for unlimited play for a MONTH and these jokers still cry about it.
ugh.

11/04/2018 11:59 AMPosted by Qfwfq
If that's too much money, playing any video game shouldn't be a priority

EXACTLY.
If you cant afford....EASILY afford....$15 a month to play a game then maybe you have bigger problems than a wow subscription.
11/04/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Felyuda
A dollar in 2004 is worth 33.6% more today.

The price of the sub has never gone up. So realistically a $15 sub should cost ~$20.05 today.

Also you can pay for your sub with gold.

Very good points. Also this is a luxury. I feel whenever this topic comes up people forget they complain about affording a want..not a need.

100% a you thing...cant afford it or even barely affording it..then the responsible thing is DON'T.

The money obviously should go elsewhere.

As to why is the price the price...well we can say that of anything right? Why does milk cost what it does? Why does cable cost what it does? Etc. Etc.
11/04/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Gnarlibar
They did better than that: they made it FREE in 2016. Anyone can use game gold (purely fictional) in place of dollars for subscription months, since 2016.

AND the token dropped to half what it was months ago. I could buy one in just a short bit of farming ghost iron ore.
111500 gold or so right now for a token.
I could fart that out in a few days.
11/04/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Hanjha
I'm not, someone else is paying $20/mo so I can "play to pay".

Me too.
I'm not paying anymore. Just waiting for my time to run out before I fade away forever.

It's not about the money, it's about the value. The value is not there anymore.

They want to squeeze more of your time while taking the same amount of money and reducing your fun. The feeling of progression is dying. The epic fun of flying around new expansions at max level is gone. You can't even go back to recent older expansions and enjoy flight unless you've played the crap out of it to "earn" it. It's not enough that you pay for an expansion and a subscription, nope that's not earning it. They'll just let their loyal fanboys insult you for "wanting a hand out" and being "too lazy to earn it". Here I thought I paid for it and just wanted to have some fun.

You think you want it but you don't. Really? You think you want my money but you don't. Cya.
11/04/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Felyuda
A dollar in 2004 is worth 33.6% more today.

The price of the sub has never gone up. So realistically a $15 sub should cost ~$20.05 today.

Also you can pay for your sub with gold.

Which ultimately costs someone $20.

The more microtransactions they add, the less the subscription cost should be, in any case.
I just saw another thread that wanted Blizz to raise the price of a sub.

General Discussion is really a hoot sometimes.
11/04/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Samron
The more microtransactions they add, the less the subscription cost should be, in any case.
Thats not true at all.
that crap we buy in the AH is extras and cannot be counted on for sustained revenue. Subs can for the most part.
I'll take a higher sub cost over risking having to pay for every little thing in the game any day. Keep the subs. Dont play with the devil on this one.
11/04/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Kardiaco
Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back. And I know for a fact that more people would try the full version of WoW if the game wasn't so pricey... I know first hand from trying to get friends to play with me.

They did. They made it possible to pay with gold now. Which means if you're good with the auction house, you never have to pay that $15 again.
11/04/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Weili
Because F2P games suck, and games with a sub model are a far better model.

League disagrees
11/04/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Zaranthosdk
They'll just let their loyal fanboys insult you for "wanting a hand out" and being "too lazy to earn it".

Kinda happening here. Some of these people insulting me for thinking the game isn't worth that kind of money, and think that I'm jobless and make dirt money, even though reality is I live in a small town with limited jobs and work in a company that can only give you x amount of hours at most.

Again, I did not include that to make people feel sorry for me or whatever. I just thought a little background info would explain my position a little better, but it's my fault for seriously thinking people wouldn't leap on the opportunity to boast about being able to pay $15 a month, and make other's feel poor for just simply questioning it.

Lots of your answers were great, but other's felt to be more about me than the subscription itself. But whatever, it's my fault for sharing personal info in the first place I guess.