Why are we still paying $15/month?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
11/04/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Rosemane
11/04/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Kardiaco
Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back. And I know for a fact that more people would try the full version of WoW if the game wasn't so pricey... I know first hand from trying to get friends to play with me.

As a high school student with car payments and insurance and such, it isn't always easy for me to pay for the game... but of course I love the game so I make do. I just don't understand why we're paying this much for a game (that's way past its prime) that would be worth as much as a gym membership or any other hobby that would probably benefit us more.

It certainly is a oddity because with how WoW grew, there are options that is besides the subscription that should and more than likely kill off the need to pay for subscription because there are pets, a select few items, mounts, live services like level boosters and race changes, etc. They are costly on their own. Some going more than the monthly subscription. You'd think that would satisfy their pockets and keep the servers afloat. I could be wrong but given at this moment that WoW isn't doing too good, I may very well be wrong on that front.

The mounts and pets are ridiculously expensive, the warforged nightmare is $38 CAN. And one pet costs almost as much as one month of sub. I think that is worse than SWTOR's more expensive mounts, certainly worse than the pets, and it is free to play.
Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back. And I know for a fact that more people would try the full version of WoW if the game wasn't so pricey... I know first hand from trying to get friends to play with me.

As a high school student with car payments and insurance and such, it isn't always easy for me to pay for the game... but of course I love the game so I make do. I just don't understand why we're paying this much for a game (that's way past its prime) that would be worth as much as a gym membership or any other hobby that would probably benefit us more.

Edit: No where did I say the game should be free to play- don't know where people got that
Another edit: Thank you all for the replies, this has all been a bigger learning experience than what I have learned the past 13 years

[quote="207684203170"]Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I just never understood why Blizz never made the attempt to half their monthly price in order to get players to come back. And I know for a fact that more people would try the full version of WoW if the game wasn't so pricey... I know first hand from trying to get friends to play with me.

Edit: No where did I say the game should be free to play- don't know where people got that
Another edit: Thank you all for the replies, this has all been a bigger learning experience than what I have learned the past 13 years!

The price is what the market will pay. If at some point people start dropping off significantly then I am sure it will be adjusted.
11/04/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Idun
Because the game isn't free.

Everyone who works on it, and at Blizzard, has to be paid.

I wish my cable bill was the same as it was ten years ago!

The thing about cable is that they offer more features now as compared to back then. DVR, watch on the go, UHDTV quality, internet, security system, phone service, etc.
Warcraft on the other hand has remained stagnant. Can you play on your smart phone...no. Can you play on a console...nope. Can you play in VR...nope nope!
Someone is paying $20 for my month subcription ( I pay with gold now). I think is a fair price, I being paying $15 for 10 years, nothing cost the same for that long. That why we see a decline of the quality. I ratter pay more and go back to a more quality game
11/04/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Idun
Because the game isn't free.

Everyone who works on it, and at Blizzard, has to be paid.

I wish my cable bill was the same as it was ten years ago!

So no one gets paid that works on OW, Starcraft 2, that game which shall not be mentioned, etc? There’s value in thinking before speaking.
11/04/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Kardiaco
11/04/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Zaranthosdk
They'll just let their loyal fanboys insult you for "wanting a hand out" and being "too lazy to earn it".

Kinda happening here. Some of these people insulting me for thinking the game isn't worth that kind of money, and think that I'm jobless and make dirt money, even though reality is I live in a small town with limited jobs and work in a company that can only give you x amount of hours at most.

Again, I did not include that to make people feel sorry for me or whatever. I just thought a little background info would explain my position a little better, but it's my fault for seriously thinking people wouldn't leap on the opportunity to boast about being able to pay $15 a month, and make other's feel poor for just simply questioning it.

Lots of your answers were great, but other's felt to be more about me than the subscription itself. But whatever, it's my fault for sharing personal info in the first place I guess.

It's more important that you work hard and take pride in doing a good job. Money isn't everything.

When money is more important than quality or fun you start doing things like scaled content and pathfinder. That won't end well. :P
Fact is the the subscription is what allows WoW to be the top MMORPG. It pays for the quality we have. You may not like some decisions blizzard has made and I certainly don't but I still know beyond a shadow of a doubt WoW is still the best mmorpg out right now.
when wow goes to mobile it should be free to play.mobile gamers wont pay a sub fee and if its not f2p you know what blizzard can go do.
For the entertainment that the forums provide, heh I spend more time on forums than ingame.
After 14 years of inflation, WoW's sub is as cheap as it's ever been, for US players anyway.
Even with my limited playtime I still feel WoW is a great entertainment value at $15 a month.
Because games/franchises need a steady income in order to survive, the corrent model is fine.
11/04/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Ashislashi
11/04/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Samron
The more microtransactions they add, the less the subscription cost should be, in any case.
Thats not true at all.
that crap we buy in the AH is extras and cannot be counted on for sustained revenue. Subs can for the most part.
I'll take a higher sub cost over risking having to pay for every little thing in the game any day. Keep the subs. Dont play with the devil on this one.

I'd say they have to pick one, shouldn't be allowed to be a "F2P" game with subscription costs. And they're becoming really heavily into microtranscations so might as well get rid of the subscription cost eventually, but I wouldn't mind it if they scrapped all microtransactions and allowed everyone realm transfers etc. on a cooldown.
It is literally one of the cheapest forms of monthly entertainment and it's still worth its sub fee (for me anyway).
And I know for a fact

No, no you do not.

Another edit: Thank you all for the replies, this has all been a bigger learning experience than what I have learned the past 13 years!

I completely agree, I have several friends myself that would play the game if it were a lot cheaper, if I were Blizz, I'd start off by lowering the sub price to $10 and seeing how that affects their sub numbers and then go from there.
11/04/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Felyuda
A dollar in 2004 is worth 33.6% more today.

The price of the sub has never gone up. So realistically a $15 sub should cost ~$20.05 today.

Also you can pay for your sub with gold.

Yes you can but if there were no one buying a token then you would not be able to purchase game time with gold either.
If the price was cheaper my friend might to play, hes just not a fan of subscription games
I'm not. If I still had to pay real money for this game I would have stopped long ago. I bought years worth of tokens back when they were 30-40k each. When that supply runs out, have over 20 left still, I don't know what I will do.
11/04/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Erolia

They did. They made it possible to pay with gold now. Which means if you're good with the auction house, you never have to pay that $15 again.

I made about 600,000 in less than a week flipping blood stained bone.
Started with about 50k and turned it into 650k in less than 7 days.
Thats what...5 tokens at current prices?
Too easy to play for free if one actually wants to do it.