How is Frost doing?

Mage
We could debate this all day, however one thing I think we can all agree upon is that mages in general need a serious quality of life overlook/tune.
not as good as arcane, thats all i know
That's the point. It could use a slight bump and instead is getting a slight nerf.

11/08/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Coverfire
Even in the sample you linked, frost isn't doing that poorly. Sure, it could do with a slight bump to bring it closer to the over-performing specs, but at current it's perfectly viable. No matter what, one spec has to be at the bottom. Looking at 75th normal, still viable. Rotational understanding vs. difficulty is also important - heroic at the 75th, you probably don't have every mage performing the rotation that perfectly. Then there's fight by fight viability, wherein frost excels on a couple of fights and that pulls its overall stats up in mythic parsing - all things to consider, or ignore, given it's going to be viable regardless.

Right, it could use a slight bump, or nothing; but not a nerf.
11/08/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Zantmage
Specialization

Frost Mage Effect #1 Apply Aura: Modifies Damage/Healing Done: -24-22%
Effect #2 Apply Aura: Modifies Periodic Damage/Healing Done: -24-22%

Blizzard: Ice shards pelt the target area, dealing [(14.3% of Spell power) * 8] Frost damage over 8 sec and reducing movement speed by 50% for 15 sec.1.50 sec.
Frost (Level 63)
Each time Blizzard deals damage, the cooldown of Frozen Orb is reduced by 0.5 sec
Range changed from 35 yd range to 40 yd range

Frozen Orb: Launches an orb of swirling ice up to 40 yards forward which deals up to [20 * (17.3%15.5% of Spell power)] Frost damage to all enemies it passes through. Grants 1 charge of Fingers of Frost when it first damages an enemy.
Enemies damaged by the Frozen Orb are slowed by 50% for 15 sec.30% for 3 sec.

Talents

Comet Storm Calls down a series of 7 icy comets on and around the target, that deals up to [7 * (45%40% of Spell power)] Frost damage to all enemies within 6 yds of its impacts.

Source: https://ptr.wowhead.com/mage-changes-tides-of-vengeance

I bolded the intended changes for 8.1; the numbers right before are the current numbers. I did not include the spell changes that are only tooltip updates.

Overall a damage buff to the specialization with a slight damage nerf to orb along with a huge nerf to the snares of the spec.

Specialization (1)
Cone of Cold Targets in a cone in front of you take (37.5% of Spell power) Frost damage and have movement slowed by 70% for 5 sec.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288624/patch-8-1-ptr-build-28440-class-changes-enhancement-shaman

Cone of Cold as well.
Its currently slowed 85% for 5sec on Live servers.
Curious as to why cone of cold was nerfed as well. I get the Blizzard changes, even if they were a little heavy handed, but this seems to gut frost even further. Like why even?