Private servers guys have a huge edge

Classic Discussion
I was watching a stream of the dueling tourny on the demo realm (very entertaining), and I was amazed how much knowledge the contestants and seemingly most of the chat commentators had about vanilla abilities, items, gear, etc.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/332914226

These guys have obviously been playing a lot of Vanilla on private servers, and it's clear that they are going to have a huge competitive edge once Classic arrives.
The game is much more complex than BFA, many people don't understand that.
Tagging for later.
DUH?
I wouldn't say they have a huge edge. I would say that if they had this knowledge back when vanilla was still out but the information is so easy to get in this day and age.

For example you can type anything into wowhead search and it will tell you everything you want to know on the topic.

While yes they have memorized a lot of information everyone has access to it.
11/07/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Khalissa
I was watching a stream of the dueling tourny on the demo realm (very entertaining), and I was amazed how much knowledge the contestants and seemingly most of the chat commentators had about vanilla abilities, items, gear, etc.

These guys have obviously been playing a lot of Vanilla on private servers, and it's clear that they are going to have a huge competitive edge once Classic arrives.

These tournaments are kind of nonsense. I saw one where a rogue was talking about how he farms for a single use item in stratholme for pvp.

That is utter nonsense, and none will do that for regular pvping. The drop rate isn't great, and using a kick has the same effect.

Or farming for fish nets on lvl 10 murlocs, utter nonsense.

All you need for pvp is engineering and bombs, and now you are good to go.
People don't want to admit this. I've learned so much playing on private servers over the past couple years, and there is still so much that I don't know.
11/07/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Windsheared

The murloc nets can't fail while the engineering trinket can. Those nets usually get removed from private servers because of how broken they are. The dust from the wind eles is over powered as well.
Who cares? Just do things at your own pace and enjoy.

But yeah, private servers - especially with regards to leveling and maybe some short cuts here and there, will have a much more thorough knowledge of the game.

And that's totally fine.
I was amazed how much knowledge the contestants and seemingly most of the chat commentators had...

Yea, but if they only knew that a Cash Win Tournament like that was completely against the Blizzard/Warcraft Terms of Service...

Can I host a tournament?
Nevalistis
Community Manager
6534 posts
Dec 10, 2010
Such a situation would be considered the exchange of in-game services for out of game currency or goods, Averybighug. That would fall under a policy we have a pretty clear "no" on.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/1406722861#post-3
I'm teaching classes on how to get gud at vanilla. 10g an hour.
11/07/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Cyberwins

The murloc nets can't fail while the engineering trinket can. Those nets usually get removed from private servers because of how broken they are. The dust from the wind eles is over powered as well.

Yeah, all you guys are in the club- I have no idea about any of these items. You know where all these op items are found- like some freaking murloc. The vast majority of players don't even remember what the Vanilla talents are.

It's amazing what people find out when they're passionate about something.

so- anyone who has knowledge about vanilla, clearly got it from a pserver and NOT from actually being there and playing vanilla?

okay then..hides all of their vanilla achievements.

well- good luck with that.
11/07/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Moonblade

so- anyone who has knowledge about vanilla, clearly got it from a pserver and NOT from actually being there and playing vanilla?
okay then..

Watch the stream- these guys all know each other from private servers. The chat guys seem to know them too.

And the average person doesn't remember abilities and talents from 2007 when there's been over a decade of changes.
While I am grateful to private servers for their role in catalyzing Classic, I shun the (minority) of PS players who, in hopes of maintaining their well-practiced edge, would prefer Classic to be more PS than Vanilla-like. Dynamic respawns, for instance...
11/07/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Khalissa
11/07/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Moonblade

okay then..

Watch the stream- these guys all know each other from private servers. The chat guys seem to know them too.

And the average person doesn't remember abilities and talents from 2007 when there's been over a decade of changes.

oh, okay. well, looks like you have it all figured out. thumbs up

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769629183#post-5

wonder why i was one of the only ones to remember that and point it out?

hmm. must have been all that time i spent on a fake server.

which never happened, btw.
I've watched a few leveling guides. The videos are sometimes 30+ minutes and go super in depth. I'd never heard of Hamstring Kiting or Earthbind Kiting. I'd never even bothered with a Swing Timer for leveling, but the strategy looks insanely better than face tanking.

Even the weapon progression is really neat too. It really makes me want Classic.

11/07/2018 08:39 PMPosted by Oleon
While I am grateful to private servers for their role in catalyzing Classic, I shun the (minority) of PS players who, in hopes of maintaining their well-practiced edge, would prefer Classic to be more PS than Vanilla-like. Dynamic respawns, for instance...

The launch is the concern. Blizzard is playing with sharding, and potentially dynamic respawns for the starter zone - because otherwise we're gonna wait a long time.
11/07/2018 08:39 PMPosted by Oleon

I'd rather have dynamic spawns tha. Sharding
11/07/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Windsheared

These tournaments are kind of nonsense. I saw one where a rogue was talking about how he farms for a single use item in stratholme for pvp.

That is utter nonsense, and none will do that for regular pvping. The drop rate isn't great, and using a kick has the same effect.

Udder nonsense you say? Of course people use them on pservers.. hell I did.
That's what so cool about vanilla though, getting spanked and camped WILL happen, regardless, so just enjoy the game.