Turning into enemy faction is THE WORST IDEA

Tides of Vengeance PTR General Discussion
I refuse to kill my Faction Leaders. I will not participate in a fight against Gelbin or Jaina.
I have hard time killing people from the opposite faction already so I can't even imaging showing up and start shedding my own people's blood.

LoL what am I saying? I cancelled my subscription for things like these! I can't play it even if I wanted to XD
I hope this idea for raid content dies . Otherwise they will most likely try to reuse the same idea in the future. I refuse to attack Jaina or any alliance npcs. I'll be leaving lfr before any of it starts.
It's a flashback.
Let us re-iterate... You are mad, something optional is in the game? And want to take it away from players who enjoy it? Great, you must be so loved by everyone.
The idea of this raid is clever and a bold experiment on the part of Blizz. But we need to remember that it was Blizz that wanted us to take the faction war seriously; remember the 'It Matters' commercials that played before launch? Yes all the fights have to have the exact same mechanics, and yes it's important for the top end raiders that they fight the bosses in the same order. But I think it would have been wise of them to create a horde character for Alliance players to fight while the Horde was fighting Jaina. The end result of the fight between Mekkatorque and Gallywix could be the same with either side in the fight. I have no problem with the raid format. I have no problem with other people enjoying it. But I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'm going to take a pass on either of these fights. This is my choice, but one that could have been avoided with one or two seemingly small changes. Changes that would have been consistent with the stated goal of the expansion.
11/10/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Metsästäjä
But I think it would have been wise of them to create a horde character for Alliance players to fight while the Horde was fighting Jaina.

and how that would work?
i can't think in any other frost mage and much less someone as strong and specialized as jaina.
i mean it could work if the horde also have a mage at the same level and that is frost. but that isn't the case.
i would say that it was bold from them to make her raid boss in the first place, because there is no way that everyone will be happy with the outcome.
They did something similar to this before with a couple dungeons in the Caverns of Time. While I don’t necessarily want to play as a character other than my own, it isn’t a game killer or anything. They also did something similar (in a way) in Legion, where you play as Illidan and get beaten by the raid and Maiev. I hope, whatever they do with this new raid, that it doesn’t detract from faction pride.
11/10/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Etheldald
11/10/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Metsästäjä
But I think it would have been wise of them to create a horde character for Alliance players to fight while the Horde was fighting Jaina.

and how that would work?
i can't think in any other frost mage and much less someone as strong and specialized as jaina.
i mean it could work if the horde also have a mage at the same level and that is frost. but that isn't the case.
i would say that it was bold from them to make her raid boss in the first place, because there is no way that everyone will be happy with the outcome.

You're right. It would be tough to do in a way that didn't feel contrived. I have two thoughts about how they might make this work. Both examples involve some pretty cringe-worthy magic. The first is that the Zandalari have a way to make an 'evil spirit' twin of Jaina. So it would be the exact same boss only she would be slightly see-through (and maybe have a handle-bar mustache and an evil maniacal laugh :P) The other thought would be that the Zandalari have the ability to mimic her powers and put them into one of their heroes. In that case we would remain Alliance and would be fighting him on our ship so we can escape rather than fighting Jaina who is trying to buy us some time. The fight would be exactly the same.

Okay. I can hear your heads hitting your keyboards from here. These are just some wild !@# ideas on a game feature that has already been carved in stone. It's just for fun. :)
You are in the minority in this one. There are far more players who would complain that they aren't getting to experience all the bosses that the patch has to offer, and would be on general forums saying "I pay my sub and don't get to experience the content" or something like that. If you don't like this idea, just leave the raid when you get to that part. I think it's pretty imaginative the way they're decided to handle this by making a flashback experience and switching your factions raid.
I agree with OP. Bad idea. I understand the reasoning. But having an expansion where I'm supposed to get all worked up to kill people on the other side... and then making me kill (or try to kill) the leaders on my side. ... Yeah. No. I'll pass.

It will be interesting to see how well this plays out when it goes live. While many players ignore lore... I'm wondering if this is the thing that will really push it over the edge for a lot of players.
11/08/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Hakan
It's just like if in Legion we turned into demons to kill people in Dalaran for a few fights.
This would have been an incredibly fun way to demonstrate the power of the Legion. It would have been absolutely hilarious if you had to kill your own character as some powerful demon overlord for quest completion, with the next part of the questline having you regaining conciousness after being rezzed by some NPC healer.

For Alliance players, this isn't the first time we've experienced this type of character shift. During the Highmountain questline we have the quests to play as the Highmountain Tauren hero, Huln, as he wages war against the Legion and defends Malfurion Stormrage while doing so. I'm sure there are Horde quests that give the player a similar experience.

You guys need to take a break from going out of your way to find something to cry about and comprehend that you will simply be playing the game through the eyes of a character that is not your own for the sake of experiencing part of a story that would otherwise be unavailable. That's all.

If you still can't bring yourself to enjoy this type of story telling, don't half-!@# the absurdity. Make sure you remember to fast forward through all the Star Wars scenes that focus on "the other faction" and skip every chapter of Game of Thrones that details any character but your favorite.
If a player wants to see the story of your opposing faction, roll a toon in the opposing faction. A raid shouldn't be any different.

Generally, Blizzard does a great job with their games, but this one, they got it wrong. I can understand why the decision might be made from a business perspective. As an Alliance player, I want nothing to do with it.
11/12/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Photonfervor

You guys need to take a break from going out of your way to find something to cry about and comprehend that you will simply be playing the game through the eyes of a character that is not your own for the sake of experiencing part of a story that would otherwise be unavailable. That's all.

If you still can't bring yourself to enjoy this type of story telling, don't half-!@# the absurdity. Make sure you remember to fast forward through all the Star Wars scenes that focus on "the other faction" and skip every chapter of Game of Thrones that details any character but your favorite.

The other faction's story is available to that faction. It is not unavailable. Roll a toon in that faction to see the story.

The movie suggestion doesn't really apply; I don't roll a character to participate in a movie.
I would be more motivated to do this raid if it meant taking out Nathanos and another one of Sylvannas's Valkyr. But instead we get to kill off a king that has no meaning. Raskatan hasn't really did anything to the alliance.

Horde an Alliance players alike should leave raid in protest when there faction characters show up. Players on both sides share the same sentiments.
11/08/2018 10:31 PMPosted by Tyriellais
Nothing says “Alliance victory” like letting the Horde play through it.

Victory? Rofl, Alliance hasn't gotten a victory yet and the last boss of the raid is Jaina....so you plan on throwing that fight or 'killing' her?
Who's bright idea was this? I WILL NOT PLAY AS ALLIANCE. EVER. THE END. To hell with the loot.
To those saying its for the loot. Loot is irrelevant if your not a hardcore raider. You can still get good loot from warfronts. Only way to get the mounts is from mythic , they don't drop from lfr,normal or heroic. If anything having the mounts mythic only , means that regular players are then left having to shell out gold for carries. The devs would rather allow raiding guilds to charge a carry fee, instead of allowing the mounts to drop off lfr ,norm,etc. It's just to fund the elitiests.
11/15/2018 06:50 AMPosted by Vera
To those saying its for the loot. Loot is irrelevant if your not a hardcore raider. You can still get good loot from warfronts. Only way to get the mounts is from mythic , they don't drop from lfr,normal or heroic. If anything having the mounts mythic only , means that regular players are then left having to shell out gold for carries. The devs would rather allow raiding guilds to charge a carry fee, instead of allowing the mounts to drop off lfr ,norm,etc. It's just to fund the elitiests.

I mean, for the non hardcore, loot's even more worthless in BfA than previous expansions, since scaling makes sure that it doesn't even affect your open world content.
11/08/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Aethevale
While I understand the reasons for not wanting to play as the apposing faction. How else would they have you experience the other bosses, or get the loot from those fights.

Just make it a cinematic quest and get a chance at loot that way. They do it all the time.