If The Story Sucks So Much...

General Discussion
My favorite book was Pac-Man.

219 pages of WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA
11/09/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Haven
The story in Warcraft the RTS didn't need books to convey the important points and even in that 16 bit glory it was done well and immersed the audience. If they need books to get the story out now the problem is with the in game writers not the player base.

This, we shouldn't have to read books to know what's going on in the expansion. I'm actually questing alliance side now, because someone mentioned that the alliance have no idea who chuun is, or why they're even doing that raid. It's just plain poor writing, and quest design.
11/09/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Tsavis
11/09/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Haven
The story in Warcraft the RTS didn't need books to convey the important points and even in that 16 bit glory it was done well and immersed the audience. If they need books to get the story out now the problem is with the in game writers not the player base.

This, we shouldn't have to read books to know what's going on in the expansion. I'm actually questing alliance side now, because someone mentioned that the alliance have no idea who chuun is, or why they're even doing that raid. It's just plain poor writing, and quest design.

It's not. On a lore perspective the Horde are the ones killing G'huun this time around.

Blizzard was able to make two stories from the leveling experience, instead of shoe horning G'huun in Kul'Tiras (which would just not work). They committed to giving Alliance their own story and by god it's awesome.

This is why the game was made for both factions, and not one. Horde have absolutely no idea what Waycrest Manor is, should we complain about how that's bad design as well?

No people, it's just a broader way in giving the lore.
I might be more holistic than many I suppose but for all the professed love for wow I see on the forums (most notably used as an excuse for raging against blizzard), I am a bit surprised by how many people have no desire to consume wow related content outside of the game.

I don't comment on threads about lapses in story typically because I know that I don't have a good grasp of what is revealed in-game versus out of game. On the other hand, I am perplexed by how many people simply refuse to get story from outside the game.
A lot of people came to this game with a long history in warcraft. They assume a lot of things that have never been presented in the game.

I started playing 4 years ago. I had no idea there were books or there was background. I just knew from what I learned while playing the game that the story makes no sense to a new player and nobody cares about that, least of all Blizzard.

Later I learned that there were a great many books, parts of which have been used as story, parts which have not, and a lot which has been retconned. So going back to read these old books would be an exercise in trying to figure out what matters, what never mattered, and what used to matter but no longer means anything.

I just couldn't see wasting time and money on that, when clearly it was of no importance to anyone that the should make sense.

Later I found out how much of the story had been deliberately removed to keep new players like me from ever understanding what happened before.

And now, the committee that has control over the plot appears to be obsessed with the idea that improbable plot twists and characters constantly doing things that are out of character are the route to selling more books. So the game doesn't matter.

Me? I think the story in the game should make sense, but should make you want more.

Not less.

11/09/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Solarwynds
I might be more holistic than many I suppose but for all the professed love for wow I see on the forums (most notably used as an excuse for raging against blizzard), I am a bit surprised by how many people have no desire to consume wow related content outside of the game.

I don't comment on threads about lapses in story typically because I know that I don't have a good grasp of what is revealed in-game versus out of game. On the other hand, I am perplexed by how many people simply refuse to get story from outside the game.

A lot of people would rather just play the game rather than spending their time and money collecting garage sale books and attempting to pick through them to find out what matters and what is irrelevant.

The game as it currently exists is anything but an enticement for book sales. Making the story make no sense doesn't make me want to try to fix it for them. It just makes me want to ignore it completely.
11/09/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Riverwînd
My favorite book was Pac-Man.

219 pages of WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA

You should pick up the audio version. Fozzie Bear reads it.
11/09/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Galevin
Read the books, they go into much more depth.

If you don’t want too, then clearly the story isn’t worth enough to be complained about.

What if you think the story in the books suck too?
i dont understand people that care about "the story" i dont complain much about story, i never read a single quest text, and havent watched any cinematics either yet. ive been here since vanilla, im here to spank bad guys and get epixxx.
11/09/2018 02:17 PMPosted by Dirtytricks
i dont understand people that care about "the story" i dont complain much about story, i never read a single quest text, and havent watched any cinematics either yet. ive been here since vanilla, im here to spank bad guys and get epixxx.

You mean like the forum posters who start threads discussing the badly written fictional characters as though they were real people with free will?
I tried reading Before the Storm...I made it about halfway through before I was just sick of reading Christie Golden's personal Anduin fanfic. Because that's basically all it was with other elements thrown in at random points.
Read the books, they go into much more depth.

If you don’t want too, then clearly the story isn’t worth enough to be complained about.

No, the game is the game and should have story enough that I'm not required to spend another 15.99 on books to get the GAME story.
I think I paid $25 for the Before the Storm Book. I can honestly say that I have now paid for steaming pile of dog poop.
Christie Golden is not an author I want to read.
Read the books

I'm sorry. Both the writing and the story are B rate at best. If you want good fiction, go elsewhere. No bad if you like it, but it's like liking Budweiser. Just because you like it doesn't mean it's good.

edit: I play because the game is fun enough to mostly ignore the problems with the story.
Eh lots of people love the warcraft books, but I'm very meh about it.

A format that I personally enjoy more is watching nobbel on youtube sum up the stories.

Heck kind of wish blizz would hire him to read future audio books. He has a way of livening up the wow book content.

Please note I read a lot so the wow books are kind of sub par after decades of reading books that are a heck of a lot better. (Stormlight archive if you want something fun to read)
Ehh.. If i need to buy books to get the rest of the story of ingame that i payed 50 bucks for, i don't think the story is even worth listening or paying attention to imo. I'm just playing the game for fun and making up my own nonsensical stories cause the one Blizzard provided is pretty boring atm and not even fun anymore to pick out and laugh at the cliched moments imo.

I hope movies dont end up the same. Imagine watching a movie at the cinemas and the story is terrible and full of plot holes and you got told in the credits that you should read the book to understand the movie. Does that sound like a good concept? Nope..

isn't that literally DC Comics entire shtick?
Blizz: "Here is our truly amazing video game! We're sorry the story doesn't quite make sense but just go spend more money on a product to explain it to you!"

No thank you. They need to put better/more complete stories in the game.

Cookie?
So basically spend more money to understand the RPG aspect of a game?

WTF kind of logic is that, RPG is Role Play Game, meaning the game needs a story to be classified as RPG, thus putting the story into outside sources does not make the game RPG.

Wow is not an 'RPG' anymore clearly because you are forced to buy their lousy books to understand a lousy lore that they could have put into the game so everyone can play and understand said game........