Why Blizzard won't fix the class Issue

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
They can't...

I was reading through the Enhancement shaman changes and I finally realized something. Blizzard knows that the classes are not fun and they know that there needs to be massive changes to specs like shadow, enhancement, and many others and they probably agree with at least 50% of the things that we all keep posting in the forums.

Their issue is that it's not one or two specs that are boring and mechanically broken, it's almost all of them. That means there are 30+ specs that need talent reworks, rotations changed, new spells and abilities implemented among many other changes just to make them fun and interesting again. They can't fix shadow priests because then they would have to fix shaman, and then hunters would want the same treatment and so on down the line. They have made such a huge mistake with class design in BFA that it's a mistake that can't be fixed mid expansion!

They can't admit the mistake either (which is why we have complete silence and no feedback on this front) other than some number adjustments to shadow priest, demo locks and enhance shamans. At this point it is just better (for them) to act like the issue doesn't exist and just push forward with new content updates, and minor changes and hope that they can make it through this expansion with out major subscription drops and then they can announce sweeping class changes in about a year to correct the "BFA issue".

I would be willing to bet my account that around the time the next expansion is announced that Ion will talk about how they learned that classes need to be more dynamic and interesting and that they pruned too many abilities and blah, blah blah in BFA and they are fixing it. I would also be willing to bet that they are already working on class/spec reworks right now, but that we won't hear a peep about it because there are just too many to work on and no reasonable way to decide which class gets fixed first and which has to wait. Therefore everyone has to wait till the next expansion.
Thanks Mr. Blizzard.
Two-faced lawyer.
For years I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt every time he apologizes for mistakes they make, I'm sure the learning curve is substantial. HOWEVER, there has no come a time when I think he's either incompetant and can't actually learn from the mistakes of the past or that he's intentionally lying to the community. You can't just keep making the same mistakes 5 years in a row and expect to keep your job, the real world doesn't work this way.

He may have been a GREAT dev working under Ghostcrawler, he might still be a great game developer but I think the past many years have proven he's definitely the wrong guy for the game DIRECTOR position. I don't know why, I've never worked with the guy. But in a leadership position it's your responsibility to hold everyone else accountable to do their job, when a team is defined by a consistent and steady flow of FAILURES then the fault lies with the man at the top because his skill as a leader is lacking.

Blizzard better be having a serious internal discussion about replacing Hazzikostas, if he's still passionate about the game and wants to keep working on it then put him back into his old position where he was spoken of very highly by his predecessor but he can't be allowed to keep going on the same path he is right now.
11/11/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Annaphora
they probably agree with at least 50% of the things that we all keep posting in the forums.

I really don't think so. People have left feedback about the excitement of gameplay and class design since WoD, particularly about pruning, and they have chosen to ignore it or dismiss it with "stop saying it's bad!"

They think we're dumb. They think we don't understand class design in WoW. They think our claims that old designs like MoP and WotLK were only better based on nostalgia.
been thinking about class design a lot the last 2 days

I think they should have a long !@# class beta before next xpac and rebuild it all, and not around the new “hook” system like artifacts or azarmor.

the classes need to be fun completely absent of hooks and talents, the most barebones version of the spec should be perfectly functional, with talents spicing that up and customizing the flow.
I would be willing to bet my account that around the time the next expansion is announced that Ion will talk about how they learned that classes need to be more dynamic and interesting and that they pruned too many abilities and blah, blah blah in BFA and they are fixing it.

This happens at the end of all expansions. They talk about their mistakes and how bad a feature was. If its bad dont put it in the game.Its like there is no internal testing. All these concerns were voiced in beta. Now they are trying to salvage things and its too late for bandaides.
11/11/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Xoja
They think we're dumb
This has become a very visible pattern and every expansion it degrades just a bit more. In the Reddit Q&A, it was even specifically asked about to which Lore responded with the generic "we're sorry, we'll look into it" answer.

They make changes to the game systems & classes that no one asked for or wanted and we give them feedback as to why it's not working. They implement their changes anyways, try to halfheartedly patch it up along the way, and then finally apologize for it and promise to do better. Then they do the exact same thing next expansion! It's essentially the game design version of 10s Tom (https://youtu.be/k4ZOCoxCA2s).

All the while, the only ones who really suffer from this are the players. Blizzard at the same time reports its impressive engagement metrics that do not reflect the true state of the game, because most people are too invested in the various aspects of the game (characters, friends, story, etc) to quit.
I agree with all of you. I'm not making excuses for Blizzard at all, I am just pointing out the realization I had. My sub runs out tomorrow and I won't be coming back till classes are fixed.

I had been checking the forums every couple of days basically since a few weeks after BFA came out to see if there was any news about them fixing Shadow Priests and the classes as a whole to actually make them interesting to play.
However, after seeing the shaman patch notes something just clicked and I realized that nothing is going to change during this expansion.

If you are like me and you think there is fundamentally something wrong with the classes and that is why the game isn't fun to play, we can stop checking the forums or reading MMO champion because those changes are a year an a half away at this point.

In some respects I'm glad I realized this now and I don't have to keep getting my hopes up that the next major patch cycle or week is going to have fixes for shadow priests or any class that I used to enjoy playing. With blizzard's silence on this issue, the main issue with BFA, I can basically forget about WoW for the next 18 months and play other games and do something else.

The boring, progression-less classes that are currently the staple of BFA gameplay are the root issue with the expansion and that is not going to be fixed anytime soon because blizzard can't fix a screwup this big in between expansions.
11/11/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Thalerion
For years I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt every time he apologizes for mistakes they make, I'm sure the learning curve is substantial. HOWEVER, there has no come a time when I think he's either incompetant and can't actually learn from the mistakes of the past or that he's intentionally lying to the community. You can't just keep making the same mistakes 5 years in a row and expect to keep your job, the real world doesn't work this way.

He may have been a GREAT dev working under Ghostcrawler, he might still be a great game developer but I think the past many years have proven he's definitely the wrong guy for the game DIRECTOR position. I don't know why, I've never worked with the guy. But in a leadership position it's your responsibility to hold everyone else accountable to do their job, when a team is defined by a consistent and steady flow of FAILURES then the fault lies with the man at the top because his skill as a leader is lacking.

Blizzard better be having a serious internal discussion about replacing Hazzikostas, if he's still passionate about the game and wants to keep working on it then put him back into his old position where he was spoken of very highly by his predecessor but he can't be allowed to keep going on the same path he is right now.

ever heard of "The Peter Principal"?

Essentially individuals will be promoted one level higher than their level of compentancy.

I'm thinking a lot of bliz movers and shakers fall into that group.

Could be wrong, but if you get the book and read it see if you don't find similar and other points.
They easily can fix class design by reverting to previous iterations but they're too arrogant to do so. Legion and BfA feel like Blizzard is trolling the players with the gameplay, since the art and music and overall content otherwise seems solid.
11/11/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Rakruwah
I think they should have a long !@# class beta before next xpac and rebuild it all, and not around the new “hook” system like artifacts or azarmor.

They had plenty of time in Alpha and Beta this expansion. Look at how unbalanced tanks came out. There was dozens of threads and thousands of comments. Feedback was mostly ignored. You need to fix the stubborn dev team first.
11/11/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Ehelolx
They easily can fix class design by reverting to previous iterations but they're too arrogant to do so. Legion and BfA feel like Blizzard is trolling the players with the gameplay, since the art and music and overall content otherwise seems solid.
11/11/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Tyfus
All the while, the only ones who really suffer from this are the players. Blizzard at the same time reports its impressive engagement metrics that do not reflect the true state of the game, because most people are too invested in the various aspects of the game (characters, friends, story, etc) to quit.

"the players."

That's a really funny way of saying 'stock holders.'
They can't...

They really can, and it's quite easy.
Boot up any given mid-MOP patch.
Take notes.
Apply to live.

Really, almost every Melee is fine. Every Melee received major mobility buffs through Legion, except the 2 highly-mobile new kids in Monk and DH.
Tanks are having that stupid GCD thing fixed.

So it's just Casters and Healers, the 2 roles which got screwed over from MOP to WOD which are still suffering because someone on the dev team has an unhealthy fixation on immobile turrets as "good design goals".

Want to fix those 2 roles?
- Mobile cast filler spells (Shadow Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Lunar Strike over Wrath imo, Arcane Missiles)
*Mind Flay and Frostbolt should have mobile alternatives which do the same dps in Mind Spike and Frostfire Bolt without the slows, for obvious potential balance issues

- AOE heals once again smart heal
- Make Atonement a single-target smart heal passive like in MOP, make Disc a Healer again instead of a gimmick that alternates between OP and Awful, and even give other Healers some smart healing on their little Lightning Bolts and Wraths etc
11/11/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Chromey
They really can, and it's quite easy.
Boot up any given mid-MOP patch.
Take notes.
Apply to live.
Agree 100%, said something similar in another thread
So it's just Casters and Healers, the 2 roles which got screwed over from MOP to WOD which are still suffering because someone on the dev team has an unhealthy fixation on immobile turrets as "good design goals".
Please don't forget us hunters - were not supposed to be casters....
It’s funny but upon watching reruns of Blizzcon, I didn’t notice any mention of class overhauls, tweaks, or balancing; all they talked about was loot and new areas, but nothing about addressing concerns with classes or Azerite armor (other than that awkward silence).

This is literally what we’re stuck with for the next two years?
Tanks are having that stupid GCD thing fixed.

Oh? As far as I'm aware, no, we aren't. Frenzied Regen & Bristling Fur are still going to be on the GCD.
11/11/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Xoja
they probably agree with at least 50% of the things that we all keep posting in the forums.

I really don't think so. People have left feedback about the excitement of gameplay and class design since WoD, particularly about pruning, and they have chosen to ignore it or dismiss it with "stop saying it's bad!"

They think we're dumb. They think we don't understand class design in WoW. They think our claims that old designs like MoP and WotLK were only better based on nostalgia.

I don't think you're right. Im pretty sure a monkey can be trained in about an hour or two to play WoW classes in BfA. All you would need is to make sure the monkey knows to hit 1 key over and over until his other key lights up then hit that key. I'm not even trying to be funny. I truly believe a monkey could be easily trained to play WoW in it's current state.

As an example: to teach a monkey to play Enhance all he would need to do is mash Stormstrike, nothing else. You truly think a monkey couldn't manage that?