Why Blizzard won't fix the class Issue

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
I've given all the feedback I can possibly give on my class. Blizzard knows exactly what the Warlock community reasonably wants and doesn't want at this point. If we're not getting it, it's because they don't want to give it to us. Pure and simple. Or else they would say so. I post just to pass time now.
11/11/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Annaphora
I agree with all of you. I'm not making excuses for Blizzard at all, I am just pointing out the realization I had. My sub runs out tomorrow and I won't be coming back till classes are fixed.

I had been checking the forums every couple of days basically since a few weeks after BFA came out to see if there was any news about them fixing Shadow Priests and the classes as a whole to actually make them interesting to play.
However, after seeing the shaman patch notes something just clicked and I realized that nothing is going to change during this expansion.

If you are like me and you think there is fundamentally something wrong with the classes and that is why the game isn't fun to play, we can stop checking the forums or reading MMO champion because those changes are a year an a half away at this point.

In some respects I'm glad I realized this now and I don't have to keep getting my hopes up that the next major patch cycle or week is going to have fixes for shadow priests or any class that I used to enjoy playing. With blizzard's silence on this issue, the main issue with BFA, I can basically forget about WoW for the next 18 months and play other games and do something else.

The boring, progression-less classes that are currently the staple of BFA gameplay are the root issue with the expansion and that is not going to be fixed anytime soon because blizzard can't fix a screwup this big in between expansions.

Now that we know blizzard is actively working on a mobile platform for all their games, they have no choice but to continue pruning classes more. I think wow is a lost cause and neither 8.1(numbers tuning only), 8.2 or the next expansion will make classes great again

Wow is a lost cause, stop playing/giving them your hard earned money in hopes of future changes because its not happening

RIP
11/11/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Ehelolx
but they're too arrogant

You can always sum up Blizzard's response to any issue with this.
11/11/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Kabbie
It’s funny but upon watching reruns of Blizzcon, I didn’t notice any mention of class overhauls, tweaks, or balancing; all they talked about was loot and new areas, but nothing about addressing concerns with classes or Azerite armor (other than that awkward silence).

This is literally what we’re stuck with for the next two years?

Blame that on people wasting half the Q&A asking about transmog rather than anything of substance.
I seriously believe the pruning is being done slowly over the course of mutiple xpacs to lower the amount of button presses and abilities so that wow can be played using a console controller, so the game can be ported to consoles. I have been watching some old vids of my ret/paladin as a whole from back in wrath and the amount of abilities and situational utility is just staggering when compared to now. The old talent system had its flaws but compared to what we have now, the games feels like a dumbed down simplified version of itself with shinier textures, animations and models.

Also admittedly the old talent system wasn't perfect as there was optimal vs sub optimal and cookie cutter builds as it were, but some light pruning and combining of talents could have solved that vs the complete change/overhaul of the talents we got with MOP.

I have played ret since vanilla, and since legion the ret rotation is just so slow and boring with so little "unique" spec utility/class identity. Unique being utility that isn't provided by Holy or prot. I just can't enjoy playing my ret anymore. I can put up with not being OP, or top DPS, i can put up with being sub optimal vs other classes, although i would rather not feel like i am dragging down a group by playing ret, instead of playing FOTM class x or y at the time. But what i cannot put up with is playing a class/spec that i don't have fun playing as the core abilities/mechanics are so simple and boring/slow that it takes all enjoyment out of the game. Compared the the class i grew to love my paladin isn't even recognizable as anything even close to what it was years ago.

People interact with the game in WOW through there classes/avatar and if the class/avatar experience is poor or unenjoyable you can have the best pve or pvp systems/content ever, but people will still not enjoy the game. And player retention will still keep getting lower and lower.
You would think after almost 15 yrs the devs would understand this which is why my only explanation for the current issues with class design is they are slowly moving to a WoW console port.
I really hope the current stock price is a wake up call, as decline in MAU speaks clearly that you cannot keep customers for long with lower quality products than they got used to.
You know its bad when you cant even level an alt due to missing pieces making some classes completely unplayable sub-120. A lot of people argue the game "starts" at 120, and, unfortunately, that's wrong. It's also unfortunate that Blizz also seemingly took that attitude as well.

"Balance" and "design" are being focused around azeruite traits and talent tree talents at 120. Talent trees are adding buttons that used to be base to the class, while azerite is taking on what talents used to be (cool buffs to core spells). Because of this, you can see how barebones the classes have actually become, leading to both design and rotational issues. Leveling and adding talents should enhance your current play style, not give you the tools you needed to begin with.

WoW used to be a RPG based off DnD rules, so you had base spells and abilities that made the core of the class, with new spells and talents just the "icing on the cake" at later levels. Leveling felt impactful and your character felt stronger, because the time you took to level was much longer (thus each new point in the tree felt more meaningful). So characters had to feel good to start to keep people playing.

WoW is now an action game, and there is a rush to get to 120 as fast as you can. Because of that, less (or none at all) emphasis is put on leveling, and more on the end game, where they can play around with how specs feel by using talents and azerite. So design issues don't need to be fixed through improving baseline issues (which takes time and resources) but by trying to add a bandage by using talents and azerite. And its failed miserably.
11/12/2018 02:23 PMPosted by Fedras
WoW used to be a RPG based off DnD rules, so you had base spells and abilities that made the core of the class, with new spells and talents just the "icing on the cake"

I agree with everything you said and especially this part.
11/11/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Chromey
- AOE heals once again smart heal
- Make Atonement a single-target smart heal passive like in MOP, make Disc a Healer again instead of a gimmick that alternates between OP and Awful, and even give other Healers some smart healing on their little Lightning Bolts and Wraths etc

There's a lot of what you say in your post that I agree with, but this part I strongly disagree.

Disc Priest is in a really bright spot right now and incredibly fun to play, is in my opinion, one of the very few specs in the game that actually plays better than ever before (well it's pretty close to between BFA and second half of Legion). The Disc community is in general quite happy with the state of the spec and I would personally hate to go back to any of the previous iterations.. MOP brainless afk dps for free atonement heals and WOD non stop shield spam were not fun, overpowered but not fun.
11/11/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Kabbie
It’s funny but upon watching reruns of Blizzcon, I didn’t notice any mention of class overhauls, tweaks, or balancing; all they talked about was loot and new areas, but nothing about addressing concerns with classes or Azerite armor (other than that awkward silence).

This is literally what we’re stuck with for the next two years?

Exactly, like I said in the other thread -- I don't care how many new raids or dungeons there are, if my class isn't fun to play, I am not going to enjoy the game. My favorite DPS class, Hunter, was ruined in Legion and isn't doing much better now. Well, I hear Survival is okay, but I don't want to be melee with my Hunter.

I think it goes back to their need to overhaul specs all the time even if there isn't necessarily reason to, change for the sake of change. But in this case they were hindered by the loss of artifacts, and didn't give us anything to make up for the holes in specs.

I miss WoW. I want to play it again, but BFA is just not fun and I don't feel that RP and transmog runs are worth the $15 monthly fee.
I recently bought the 6 month subscription pack that came with the mount, and I played maybe for a combined total of an hour since then (not exaggerating).. I can't get back into this game, all the classes I play are so boring x.x
The problem is they’ll run out of time to develop classes next expansion too. 4 years is much too sudden a timeline for a small indie company.
11/11/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Thalerion
He may have been a GREAT dev working under Ghostcrawler, he might still be a great game developer but I think the past many years have proven he's definitely the wrong guy for the game DIRECTOR position. I don't know why, I've never worked with the guy. But in a leadership position it's your responsibility to hold everyone else accountable to do their job, when a team is defined by a consistent and steady flow of FAILURES then the fault lies with the man at the top because his skill as a leader is lacking.

Ion is not a "dev" in the sense many people think of when they hear that word.

He's not a computer guy or programmer. He's a lawyer. His function is manager and liason with whoever needs to be sweet-talked at.

He's an idea guy. So most of these failed ideas are his.