I just want to say something about WoD content today

General Discussion
So I played when WoD came out and I remember nutting all over the questing experience and lore. As a long time WoW player, seeing Outland in it's former glory and playing with characters you've only ever read about was cool. But after the first month of WoD I got bored and just quit.

Plus, everyone was complaining about it so I didn't see a reason to come back. I think I just stayed with League of Legends and Hearthstone at the time.

But I've been playing again pretty consistently since Legion and I'm leveling my Mag'har Orc throughout Draenor now. (I'm pretending I'm one of the Frostwolf survivors since the regular lore they set up for Mag'har makes no sense).

The questing and the world is still !@#$ing amazing. The dungeons are so fun too. The little rares you find are cool and can be challenging or have little unique mechanics. Treasures make me excited.

This expansion had so much potential. Garrisons are actually fun for me. I'm sure that changes for min maxers who suck the life out of games, but what doesn't really..?

Anyway, I'm enjoying the WoD questing experiencing and world again. I love it. I really wish they had done a better job with that expansion.

Just wanted to vent. Yall have a good day!
Statistically, someone had to enjoy WoD.
11/11/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Sabrorisser
Statistically, someone had to enjoy WoD.

Still turned out to be a bot.
For the Content that WoD had, it was a good expansion.

The whole problem, and what turned most off the expansion, was the gap in content between 6.0 release and 6.2 that was created by the cut Ogre Empire content. This also had the unfortunate impact of changing the end game for the expansion from taking down Grommosh and the Iron Horde to taking down Archemonde and the Legion.

The release was really good and brought a lot of people back.. but the lack of followup content to sustain the momentum is what got people stuck in the rut of playing a mobile game (aka Garrison).

Garrisons were never intended to be sustaining content and yet it ended up being the main content for the middle stretch of the expansion.
I don’t think many people had problems with the concepts that went into WoD’s design. That was mostly solid. What sucked was the expansion’s execution, which was plagued by the budget issues Blizzard was facing at the time on top of major development issues (sudden change of direction halfway through) and the plan to line up the release of WoD with the debut of the Warcraft movie falling apart among other things. The result was an expansion that started out strong but petered out quickly due to all of the delays, cut features/content, and budget constraints.

From what I’ve gathered it was sort of a perfect storm and it’s likely that nothing could’ve rescued WoD from its fate.
11/11/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Kogor
Anyway, I'm enjoying the WoD questing experiencing and world again. I love it. I really wish they had done a better job with that expansion.

The problem wod had, was it had nothing to do at the end of the exp unless you were raiding. If you did not do that, you were absolutely boned. I often describe WoD like usain bolt showing up to a race, but then forgetting to tie his shoes. Takes off from the start like a rocket and blows everyone away, but then looses a shoe and falls flat on his face.
So I played when WoD came out and I remember nutting all over the questing experience and lore.

I liked Warlords as well but ewww.
Plus, everyone was complaining about it so I didn't see a reason to come back.
This right here is a good reminder to people who say they love the game but then cuss and rail against blizzard. Your non-constructive criticism chases people away. You are part of the problem.

Thanks OP for posting and I am glad you are back to enjoying WoD. :)
I have spent more time in WoD zones than BfA since BfA released. Got flying, tokened my rogue to exalted with all of the factions, finally ground out the “of the jungle” title... it was actually pretty fun.

Now all I’m doing is slowly beefing up my mission table dudes. They’re at 660 now, and I am only a few more bonus missions and sieges away from the Captain title.
11/11/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Assistance
I have spent more time in WoD zones than BfA since BfA released. Got flying, tokened my rogue to exalted with all of the factions, finally ground out the “of the jungle” title... it was actually pretty fun.

Now all I’m doing is slowly beefing up my mission table dudes. They’re at 660 now, and I am only a few more bonus missions and sieges away from the Captain title.

I haven’t spent a ton of time in Draenor this xpac, but I did go back and farm up enough ogre runestones to enable my mage tower portals and have been considering repairing my garrison’s AH bot.

It makes me wish that old continents were more relevant as a whole… I’d love to have more reasons to use my garrison and newly acquired portal network. For instance, wouldn’t it be cool if BfA professions required crafted items from Legion, WoD, MoP, etc? It’d add life to old continents and make the game feel more whole so you’re playing 100% of it instead of just the newest 5%.
Most of what brought so much hate to WoD was the lack of delivery on promises and the poor release structure. At times you would get a decent amount of content and then immediately turn around and wait too long for something new to take up your time. On top of that, the amount of cut content as well as content that was just completely changed from what they had said was going to happen was pretty crazy. I believe initially each leader of the Iron Horde was supposed to be a raid boss ending with Grom'mash Hellscream, this changed immediately as you literally kill one of the leaders as the very first raid boss the entire expansion. They followed the idea with Blackrock but then pulled away from it with HFC, I know this was for better flow into the next expansion but still. Don't get me wrong, the expansion had plenty of good stuff and the questing actually wasn't that bad (atleast in comparison with places like the Deadwash in BfA) but how fast you could go through content and then just be stuck around with nothing to do other than garrison missions or redo old content the game got really boring really fast. If the original plan for the expansion would have been followed, Ashran wouldn't have been butchered, the faction capitols would have remained in their original place, and Farahlon (I believe that was the place) hadn't just been outright removed the expansion would have been close to Legion as one of the best.
I enjoyed WoD until about four months after the release of Tanaan.

BfA was boring after the first two weeks and not rewarding at all.
11/11/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Chroesire
11/11/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Assistance

I haven’t spent a ton of time in Draenor this xpac, but I did go back and farm up enough ogre runestones to enable my mage tower portals and have been considering repairing my garrison’s AH bot.

It makes me wish that old continents were more relevant as a whole… I’d love to have more reasons to use my garrison and newly acquired portal network. For instance, wouldn’t it be cool if BfA professions required crafted items from Legion, WoD, MoP, etc? It’d add life to old continents and make the game feel more whole so you’re playing 100% of it instead of just the newest 5%.

If you want some relevance for the old zones do some of the secrets for pets/tmogs/mounts. Uuna takes you around the world and to a few WoD locations, as well as Baa'l and the Waist of Time Tmog. Those portals are pretty useful then aswell as the shifting mirror that can port you from Outlands to Draenor.
I think I just couldn't enjoy WoD because I was and still am, very nostalgic about BC.

As such, it felt like Outland, but with everything you liked ripped from it and replaced with copies that always feel like they're about to vanish after the "and then I woke up" moment. Also the alternate timeline BS. Ugh! Just UUUUUUGH!

Add to that: while BC'S greatest feature was adding flying, WoD had Blizzard touting "flying removed" as if it would be celebrated. Chaos ensued. Now we have the BS that is the Pathfinder Compromise.

I did like Auchindoun in its glory though. And garrisons are still neat.

I'm very happy you're enjoying it. I, however, see it as the reason I quit the first time and a bad storytelling dream that I would rather forget.
Outland was random and made no sense, imo it's the stupidest area in the game.

Started out great in Hellfire then goes crazy random really fast. You head to a giant mushroom bog and do irradiated plant stuff, but also nagas. Seems ok, I can get on board with this naga stuff.

But then, nope, let's forget about the nagas and do all this other random disconnected stuff. How about space mummies? Personally I thought space mummies were lame. How about outer space radiated belfs? How about outer space ogres that really like spikes? Dinosaurs too, want some dinosaurs? Here you go.

So weird, and random.

But it did end great with Shadowmoon Valley and Black Temple.

But let's be real, they thought that the lore was what people loved about BC and focused on zone remakes thinking that's what would win players over (vs consistent new content delivery, which is really what made BC so popular), LOL!

Except WoD really just was the same zone names but filled with orcs all day, every day, everywhere. Just can't get enough orc.
Spires of Arak, a whole zone dedicated to the Arakkoa, my favorite NPC race? YES!
Gorgrond's steam vents and colorful thermal pools? HELL YEAH!
Frostfire Ridge's "magnificent desolation"? GIVE IT TO ME!

Despite all its shortcomings WoD was just great to me.
I loved WoD leveling as well as WoD dungeons. Auchindoun was my all time fav, followed by Iron Docks and Grimrail Depot.
11/11/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Partyunicorn
Outland was random and made no sense, imo it's the stupidest area in the game.

Started out great in Hellfire then goes crazy random really fast. You head to a giant mushroom bog and do irradiated plant stuff, but also nagas. Seems ok, I can get on board with this naga stuff.

But then, nope, let's forget about the nagas and do all this other random disconnected stuff. How about space mummies? Personally I thought space mummies were lame. How about outer space radiated belfs? How about outer space ogres that really like spikes? Dinosaurs too, want some dinosaurs? Here you go.

So weird, and random.

But it did end great with Shadowmoon Valley and Black Temple.

But let's be real, they thought that the lore was what people loved about BC and focused on zone remakes thinking that's what would win players over (vs consistent new content delivery, which is really what made BC so popular), LOL!

Except WoD really just was the same zone names but filled with orcs all day, every day, everywhere. Just can't get enough orc.

TBC might’ve tried a little too hard to drive home the whole “zomg we’re on a weird strange crazy bizarre alien planet!” bit for sure, hah. I enjoyed it though, because that made it distinctly different from vanilla. Hellfire felt (and still feels) massive, there’s still nothing else in the game quite like Zangarmarsh. Even with the relative stinker zones (Blade’s Edge) it was still pretty good.

No arguing that WoD definitely would’ve been better had it not been quite so all orc all the time and the whole alternate universe stuff was weird. I would’ve preferred to visit old Draenor as a sort of Caverns of Time expansion, where the whole goal would be to stop the Infinite Dragonflight’s meddling and ensure that the orcs invade Azeroth, Ner’zhul explodes Draenor into Outland, etc.
I loved WoD until Tanaan. Then I took a break until Legion.