I just want to say something about WoD content today

General Discussion
Most stories have the sense to do either time travel stories OR alternate dimension stories. Blizzard decided to do both and now we've got those story beats prolapsing out from where we left them to have the AU Mag'har join the Horde as a permanent fixture instead of the tried-and-true Mag'har we already had from Outland.

All for 'muh customization options'.

WoD and all its plot lines should've been excised like the tumors they were and forgotten.
the zones and music were stellar, still some of my favorite, there just wasn't a lot to do at max level. the endgame was the tanaan jungle dailies and HFC if you raided. the garrison system had its good and bad sides. I loved having a base for myself, but it wasn't exactly alt friendly and you didn't interact with other players.
WoD was the expansion that never was imo..They had so much cut content it was crazy..It could of been one of the best expansions ever..Seriously, do a google search of WoD and cut content, some of it sounded amazing.
I had fun leveling through WoD the first time, but by the 2nd toon it became really obvious that the leveling experience was so on rails and bare bone that there were no options. WoD was one of the most fun times I had leveling my first toon through and then the least fun I ever had leveling the second.

Then at max level there was next to nothing. A raid, a "fill the bar up" apexis daily for rewards that started useless, and the endless slog of Ashran. Tanaan was alright but for that to be the only content added throughout the course of an entire expansion is shameful.

WoD is objectively the worst WoW has ever been because it was the least WoW has ever been.
11/11/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Sabrorisser
Statistically, someone had to enjoy WoD.

I mean, it wasn't a bad expansion. Content wise it was actually pretty decent aside from the Garrison. See the below quote which I believe does a good job at explaining the issues that WoD faced.

11/11/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Rea
For the Content that WoD had, it was a good expansion.

The whole problem, and what turned most off the expansion, was the gap in content between 6.0 release and 6.2 that was created by the cut Ogre Empire content. This also had the unfortunate impact of changing the end game for the expansion from taking down Grommosh and the Iron Horde to taking down Archemonde and the Legion.

The release was really good and brought a lot of people back.. but the lack of followup content to sustain the momentum is what got people stuck in the rut of playing a mobile game (aka Garrison).

Garrisons were never intended to be sustaining content and yet it ended up being the main content for the middle stretch of the expansion.
I remember at the time how frustrating the lack of content was at max level. However, the questing to max was pretty great. Glad to see the expansion has aged well. One of the better experiences to pass through without the content droughts.
There were so many things altered or changed in the expansion that could have improved it dramatically.

In the Blizzcon announcement for WoD where they listed the expansion features.

1. Removal of the two faction cities. Here is the announcement at Blizzcon showing that Bladespire Fortress was to be a Horde city:

https://imgur.com/a/ATu4dXG

The Alliance was to have their own city as well. Both these options were removed, which meant that a lot of the sort of options that would have been available there (such as banks, etc) were put into garrisons which impacted hugely on the social aspects of the game.

2. Garrisons, so many promises, so poorly instituted. At one point during the panel at Blizzcon one of the developers actually says "You are even going to be able to pick which zone you want your base to be in". That never happened. He also mentioned a building called an Infirmary. Not sure what that was supposed to be but obviously it never made it to live.

3. A content suggestions screen with multiple options including pvp and crafting. Not included. What it would have looked like:

https://imgur.com/a/b3uIV7j

4. Ashran. Good idea but again a number of things they said would be available weren't. They said a number of times you could attack the enemy base and "reduce it to rubble". That didn't happen. They also indicated you could capture a variety of siege machines from the other faction. I can't recall that happening, perhaps someone could say if that did occur.

5. There was also some indication of a further area of content regarding the Ogres which featured so strongly throughout the expansion. One of the early maps had a continent/island to the south of Draenor's normal zones which apparently was to be the Ogre Empire, but again it was removed from the game and is probably responsible for one of the major content droughts.

To me, the real issue with Wod was this early promise that evaporated over time.
11/11/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Kogor
The questing and the world is still !@#$ing amazing. The dungeons are so fun too. The little rares you find are cool and can be challenging or have little unique mechanics. Treasures make me excited.

As someone who prolly did hundreds of dungeon runs for challenge modes and didnt get bored. I agree.

Survival Hunter with Exotic Ammo in 6.2, Empowered Seals Ret, Hell even Whirlwind Warrior playstyles i miss.

Imo it had the potential to be one of the best expansions, had they not focused so much resources on garrison and updated player models.
Id much rather play as a 2004 night elf with amazing content.
The zones and the leveling experience of WoD was top notch. It was a fun experience at first, seeing the old characters (especially as Horde omg!) seeing your name on the map for your garrison, the zones were so nice to explore. After that first experience though....nothing. Nothing outside of instances.

You are not wrong, it had such huge potential to be great! MoP is the last expansion I truly had fun at max level in. I spent so much time in MoP yet I know I haven’t completed everything. :) I need to get back to there.
11/11/2018 04:37 PMPosted by Syrune
You are not wrong, it had such huge potential to be great! MoP is the last expansion I truly had fun at max level in. I spent so much time in MoP yet I know I haven’t completed everything. :) I need to get back to there.

Lol just now i was scouting Mop's Map.
I realized how close Kun-Lai its to Zuldazar suddenly it all made sense.
Thats why the pandaren and trolls were fighting at that village in the north of Kun-Lai!! its right next to the troll empire.
11/11/2018 04:38 PMPosted by Eldrieth
Thats why the pandaren and trolls were fighting at that village in the north of Kun-Lai!! its right next to the troll empire.

That is awesome!
Prolly one of my favourite dungeons ever in the game its the one where the whole dungeon happens in a train.
know which one i mean?
I don't think anyone ever complained about the art and the zones or even the quests. All the #thissucks is after the leveling process.
There were parts of WoD I enjoyed very much others not so much. To be honest though, it took me a lot longer to get bored with that one than I did with the current one.

Cookie?
11/11/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Dayon
Most stories have the sense to do either time travel stories OR alternate dimension stories. Blizzard decided to do both and now we've got those story beats prolapsing out from where we left them to have the AU Mag'har join the Horde as a permanent fixture instead of the tried-and-true Mag'har we already had from Outland.

this lol

really hated the mag'har orc. i originally thought they were outland brown orcs.
I never had a problem with WoD. Then again, I'm not a raider, so my enjoyment isn't limited by content release schedules.
11/11/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Jaggér
I don't think anyone ever complained about the art and the zones or even the quests. All the #thissucks is after the leveling process.

You’d be wrong.

I had a very different experience from everyone here.

I never played WoD on release. I’d at least spent a short time trying out MoP, but I had no interest in WoD since it’s announcement.

When I finally got back to it, I hated it right from the beginning. The “on rails” aspect was clear to me with the first half hour quest that took you through a super strict chase scene that was just an excuse to give cinematic close ups and slow motion shots of the Horde characters.

The entire thing was so scripted, and so out of place, that it made me hate the entire thing even more. It ruined immersion and made it feel as though we were running through a cheesy Horde fanficton TV show. The giant floating titles had no place in the game. The super restrictive first quest made it feel as though you had no agency (you couldn’t even leave). And I had no idea how any of this came to pass, because nothing is explained (Khadgar seriously needed to tell us how the WC1 Horde is suddenly attacking us thirty years later after they’re all dead).

I liked the idea of going back and revisiting the old characters. There was potential there. But the entire presentation soured me on it immediately, and as a result I rushed out of Draenor as fast as possible and hate the idea of going back. The level 90-98 grind is currently being done on my Warrior through Archaeology, because I don’t want to go back (though my Druid will probably be going there).

My Paladin, the character who I took there initially, has gone back a few times to grind specific stuff (mostly the ship port to see if the rings will finally drop). I had rushed there at first while skipping a lot of content, which just made the super restrictive zone design stand out even more.

But, as I get away from the initial experience, I do see some potential in the quests and events. That initial train wreck just totally soured the whole thing to me. It felt so out of place, and so immersion shattering, that it ruined Draenor for me.

The way they reintroduced Turalyon in Legion was handled so much better. No glowing name floating on the screen, and not put alongside fifty other characters at once so that it felt like you were going through a credits scroll.

I’m planning on heading for Pathfinder if Draenor in the future, if I can find the time, and going back with my main (since there’s nothing to do in BfA). Hopefully that will help me come to like the zone a little more.

But first impressions matter a lot. And my first impressions of WoD were absolutely garbage.
I just went back and finished up Draenor Pathfinder for fun, and was surprised at how much fun I had. So much good lore there, Horde side. It really was a great expansion story wise, the zones are very well done (with exceptions here and there of course), the atmosphere and music is great, etc.

I have a Mag'har that will get there soon. I'm actually looking forward to it. The only part I dislike is the opening sequence up until you get your garrison, which is totally on rails. After that it's very good.

Since no one cares about the WoD endgame any more it's just a nice content expac.
If the next raid tier isn't half as good as BRF, WoD will be better than BFA.
WoD was neat and had some beautiful zones but they weren't used. World quests weren't a thing. The daily hubs were all trash and didn't really offer much. The ring quest was an aboring time sink that wasn't fun or interesting but more just monotonous.

You basically farmed tanaan daily until you didn't need it anymore, ran mythics for heirloom trinkets, sat in fsrriaon collecting money and queued for ashran. So in a short period of time you pretty much sat in your Garrison and geared alts in ashran.