ICYMI: New Forums will be here on (edit) Thursday

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
11/11/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Rankin
Ugh, this infinitely scrolling thing is going to be a giant pain with long threads:

[quote]Threads now infinitely scroll as the “pages” system has been removed.
I have found I do not care for this "feature" in other places it has been implemented. I suppose we'll all have stupid circular icons like all the other websites soon as well.

"Happy in our Sameness," indeed! *snort*
11/11/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Etch
anyone know what kind of system the new wow forums will use as far as posting under, our character or our battletag or something else entirely?

I have been told it will be char, but won't know for sure until Tues.
11/11/2018 01:32 PMPosted by Aehl
..and this feature that has already been misused and abused is being migrated to the WOW forums?

It's amusing that they got rid of the dislike button, that could only hide individual posts, and now they're going to give us a more powerful version in a few days.

11/11/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Brahmina
"We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more."

So, we'll be limited in how many posts we can make?

Maybe they're talking about the 60 second cooldown between posts.
So, is post history resetting? WILL I BE AT ZERO POSTS?
11/11/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Nobully
11/11/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Shaelandrys
And how was this addressed to you in any way, shape, form, or fashion?

Crepes response wasn't aimed at you, so why stick your nose in?

..do you see how silly that sounds?
It's a forum. People respond to posts. That's kind of how things work.

You're right. It wasn't.

Did you even read what he wrote?

A poster posts that he/she won't use the forums if this feature goes live.
Crepe post that he's not big on ultimatums, that he won't argue with them or chase them down and try and placate them, and that threats aren't a big thing with him.

How in the world is someone saying that they won't use the new forums an ultimatum to Crepe?

How is it a threat?

Why in the world would anyone seemingly expect Crepe to chase them down and try to placate them??? To the point that he felt the need to clarify that he wouldn't?

Yeah; Man has a SERIOUS misconception of his importance here.
I get the awful feeling that GD is going to be a lot less fun :(

So we're now going to be coerced into speaking no evil about Blizzard and any criticism will be punished?

I do admit I'm happy that a reduction in the number of trash baiting and forum trolling threads will be warmly welcomed, but I am worried about how far they'll go to stifle criticism or even unpopular opinions?

Also wondering what will happen when groups of forum posters use the new features to mass report people who don't follow their line of thinking?

I'm not comfortable with the direction this is going, but I guess Blizzard owns this forums so they do whatever they want to do....
11/11/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Shaelandrys
A poster posts that he/she won't use the forums if this feature goes live.

a poster who is well known for stirring the pot, and causing drama.
...exactly like you're seeing now.

It's not beneficial to the forum in any way.

11/11/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Shaelandrys
How in the world is someone saying that they won't use the new forums an ultimatum to Crepe?

it was an ultimatum aimed at the wind.

Crepe just happened to respond to it.

You're getting way too worked up over nothing.
11/11/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Aehl
take your criticism somewhere else.

..my point precisely....

The horrifying part is somewhere, certain people are... instead of just saying
they'll report you and maybe even ask friends to do so too, and get you suspended/banned.

On the Overwatch forums it isn't as bad because 'teams' don't really exist outside of the moment in game and you can even be on a team with the guy who was against you last match... But in WoW?

There's set factions, and I predict we'll suddenly see a lot, lot less of certain threads a certain faction doesn't like to see and always comes in to troll. Instead of trolling, they'll just get the people banned.

It's gonna be a bad time.
Once these go up, will the web team move on to making 5 crap apps for wow into one semi decent one? I know that's a sensitive topic but the apps are horrid, and it's almost 2019.
A smart thing for Blizzard to do is have a system in place for people that abuse the system. Even something as limiting the number of reports a person can do in a day.
I wish Blizzard would bring back the option to choose our own character armory pose.
Looking forward to the new forums.

Remember the old Warcraft forums.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030402140332/http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/board.aspx?ForumName=wow-general
Also will posting on silhouetts still be allowed?

..my point precisely....

they'll report you and maybe even ask friends to do so too, and get you suspended/banned.

On the Overwatch forums it isn't as bad because 'teams' don't really exist outside of the moment in game and you can even be on a team with the guy who was against you last match... But in WoW?

There's set factions, and I predict we'll suddenly see a lot, lot less of certain threads a certain faction doesn't like to see and always comes in to troll. Instead of trolling, they'll just get the people banned.

Well, I’ll have a week to try it out before my upcoming break from the game, so I’ll see how it goes.

But if it turns into the !@#$show I predict it will...well, I never get too attached to any one forum, and if they start scrubbing these forums of dissent, it’ll just migrate elsewhere and the True Believers can have their echo chamber.

All discussion forums wind up echo chambers, it’s just a question of how long it takes them.
blah I hate the OW format, especially the endless scrolling crap. Pages are so much easier to find things. Didn't care for the flagging system on Blizzard forums either. Maybe it will grow on me with practice. It will be nice to get Dev/Blue Tracker though.

I hope they give more info on the roll out and differences on how things will work in general.
11/11/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Crepe
11/11/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Sevaryn
Hm this is cool. It looks like we can embed videos?

If you build up sufficient trust level you can embed certain things.

I wouldn't suspect that level will be easy to attain. They've been leery of us embedding anything for quite some time.

I remember the gold sellers linking to "sex something" on the old forums.

..my point precisely....

When the OW forums released they found some things were really awkward and learned from them. I expect they will do the same with WoW. If things are abused the system will change and suspensions will happen for abuse.

Same goes for things like post limits, report limits, etc. They adjusted them as needed in the early days of the OW rollout. They will probably monitor the WoW forums and adjust for these too. High posters are going to take a hit at first though. Esp with all the limits.
Glad to hear that forum bans might be banning someone in game too
11/11/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Tiresias
A smart thing for Blizzard to do is have a system in place for people that abuse the system. Even something as limiting the number of reports a person can do in a day.

They do that. Reports are limited and abuse gets you suspended.
11/11/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Mirasol
11/11/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Aehl
Tell me, will a forum suspension also mean an ingame ban like Overwatch does?

Does that actually happen? I don't think a forum suspension ever gets you a game suspension. However, a game suspension or silence DOES impact your ability to post.

In Overwatch's case, it's not a function of the forums specifically. They just changed a policy at some point so they can ban people for their behavior whether or not it's in game or on the official forums. Part of their whole ridiculously overzealous "WE MUST PURGE TOXICITY" mindset. I still think they fell for the bandwagon on that one, Overwatch's community has never been any worse than any other competitive FPS. Not to say toxicity is good, but it's pretty standard and people were pretending Overwatch was somehow 20x worse when it never was.

In any case, while forum ban = game ban may be the case for Overwatch, at least in some cases, it's not a function of the forum update itself, it's just due to the way Overwatch's team is trying to combat toxicity in general.

---------------------------------

@ naysayers:

The Overwatch forums currently have:

- Several different styles of notification systems which you can turn on or off according to your personal preferences. No more digging through post history if you don't want to, no more bookmarking threads on your browser.

- Embedding, provided you reach a certain Trust Level. While I don't agree with how Trust Levels work specifically, what this means is more functionality for people who spend a moderate amount of time on the forums.

- More formatting options. For me this mainly means the minimize/maximize arrow things to split up sections of a longer post or whatever else you might use it for as well as horizontal line breaks. I'm sure there's a bunch more but those 2 on their own will make organizing more in-depth threads infinitely better on the readers' end. Also, formatted lists don't screw up line breaks like they do here.

- Infinite Scrolling of both threads and comments. Initially this will probably be the most noticeable change for the average user, but ultimately it's a good change. No more "if its not on the first page its not worth reading" garbage. No more having to load 15 different times to read through a long thread. The mini scrollbar on the side within a thread makes it quick to find a particular post based on the post # and date if you for some reason need to find something specific that isn't already in your notifications.

- Real Time updating of comments. I think you still have to refresh to see new threads, but comments just pop up naturally. No more refresh spam, and it's easy to see if you need to alter your post due to someone beating you to the punch.

At the end of the day, the changes are nothing but good. You'll get used to it. The worst possible "change" will be your post count likely being reset, but given how long these forums have been active I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they went out of their way to preserve that, we'll see.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

The horrifying part is somewhere, certain people are... instead of just saying <span class="truncated">...</span> they'll report you and maybe even ask friends to do so too, and get you suspended/banned.

When the OW forums released they found some things were really awkward and learned from them. I expect they will do the same with WoW. If things are abused the system will change and suspensions will happen for abuse.

Same goes for things like post limits, report limits, etc. They adjusted them as needed in the early days of the OW rollout. They will probably monitor the WoW forums and adjust for these too. High posters are going to take a hit at first though. Esp with all the limits.

I'll believe it when I see it, and not a moment before.

The problem is... will I want to wait around to see if it pans out? I already know how bad the OW forums are. I don't believe I'll be staying. Quite the shame, too. I really like reading some people's posts. But it's not really worth it to get brigaded because I refuse to kiss the ring of people who would so willingly abuse the tools we have in acts of sanctimony.