BFA Intro Story - Confusing?

General Discussion
Hello there,

I have played WoW on and off for years and tried each and every expansion, so forgive my low achievement points if you can and trust that I have been around the game a long time.

I just finished leveling this rogue from 0 to 110 to try out BFA, and after an evening doing the intro quests I am confused.

My character is tearing through the broken isles, when suddenly I ding and am summoned to Stormwind. I then go off to assault Lordaeron for some unknown reason to me the player...

How did this war even start? I didn't even know Teldrassil burned down until I hit the interwebs up in confusion.. Where was I told that?

This is the most confused I have ever been when starting an xpansion. Not trashing it - I am having fun - but I don't get why I attacked the horde and pursue war with them.
The burning of Teldrassil was part of the pre-expansion limited time event. During that time, the story progressed in Ashenvale and Darkshore, showing the Horde's march and the Alliance's resistance efforts. Once the expansion went live, those events were no longer playable.

Edit to add: In the story, Sylvanas was originally going to occupy Darnassus, but then she ended up burning it instead. That caused the Alliance to go attack her at Lordaeron.
Long story short. it all bull donkey. The worst story ever for both side. It even good enough to read on the pot.

BTW: There a video on tree burning on you tub. Do not believe people here. They say no one lived. Video on other hand show them escaping through portals and secret passage way. Go to you tub and see for your self.
They started this limited time story events to annoy those who play wow for story and lore if they unsubscribe.
There was a big pre patch event before BFA's release where you play through some quests and witness the burning of the tree that 'sparked' the war.

I can see how it would be a bit confusing if you missed that, but it was pretty exciting at the time.
i think they should've been more clear about showing the events of the burning of teldrassil for those who didn't play the preexpansion event or read about the game online
Honestly, WoW is horrendous at telling the overarching story as you level. You basically have to be doing content in the current expansion for the story to make any sense at all.
The burning of Teldrassil events should have never been removed from the game.
There is a terrible book by Christie Golden that can tell you all about how Bad writing can still make you a living if you get long enough contracts.

It will also fill you in on the events leading up to the War which basically surround Azerite and some of the undead trying to defect back to stormwind, the whole thing is a bit of a stretch.
11/12/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Bristlebur
There is a terrible book by Christie Golden that can tell you all about how Bad writing can still make you a living if you get long enough contracts.

It will also fill you in on the events leading up to the War which basically surround Azerite and some of the undead trying to defect back to stormwind, the whole thing is a bit of a stretch.
is it as much of a stretch as when space orcs invaded through a magic portal?
Thanks all for the info and fill ins! This backs up the light reading I did online thus far.

I can deal with story inconsistencies as you jump expansions, but this felt like the biggest hole I've seen to date. I mean this is current content, and after starting it I have no idea why my character is involved in this.

Frankly, I still don't know *WHY* the horde burned our big tree down..?

Thanks again for the info all.
The game doesnt give us every tiny bit of story or the characters inner thoughts.

The destruction of the tree was only shown in game as a prelaunch event.

If you want the full story. You must check out all the short stories, books, comics, the game both factions, and more.

Also plenty of youtube videos that go over all the story details.
Go here:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/story#tab=short-stories

and read "A Good War" and "Elegy", pretty much covers it all.
Is too much. Let me sum up.

Legion started with the...well...Legion killing Varian and Vol'jin, both at the time the main leaders of the Alliance and Horde. Sylvanas ended up Warchief because THE LOA (spoilers, it probably wasn't the loa) said so. She spent the entirety of Legion trying to subvert the ceasefire with illegal plague farms and a secret plot to basically hijack an entire afterlife for personal gain.

Legion's final arc revealed that planets are the bodies of titans. It ended with Sargeras stabbing Azeroth with a huge !@#$ing space sword as a parting shot. Azeroth, who is an actual person in the shape of a planet, is now bleeding her shiny blood metal all over. Said blood metal happens to be crazy explosive.

Prepatch event, Sylvanas immediately ordered the goblins to start strip mining the wound site and kicked off an arms race over the world's literal lifeblood. She then broke the Legion ceasefire and staged a huge assault on Darkshore with the intent of occupying Teldrassil. That quickly went out the window because a dying nelf said her trigger word, so she flipped out and burned the whole thing to the ground instead. The Alliance quest involves rushing people to the mage portal, and the quest objective lists the total NPC count of Teldrassil. You barely get a few handfuls before passing out from the smoke and getting rescued yourself. Night elves are now a legit endangered species, and the Gilneans (already Sylvanas-made refugees in Teldrassil) are almost gone.

Alliance counterattacks Lordaeron. When you fight Saurfang, remember that he's an old guy who already lost his brother in a previous game, lost his son several expansions ago to Forsaken shenanigans, never really got over letting Garrosh get away with multiple xpacs of douchebaggery, and is understandably horrified at having just aided in near-total genocide of a race who aided his brother. One of the promo videos shows him having to be talked out of a suicidal one-man charge.
11/12/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Alium
Thanks all for the info and fill ins! This backs up the light reading I did online thus far.

I can deal with story inconsistencies as you jump expansions, but this felt like the biggest hole I've seen to date. I mean this is current content, and after starting it I have no idea why my character is involved in this.

The official line we've gotten from Sylvanas is that war between the factions is inevitable. It will happen sooner or later, no matter what peace is created. The Horde had an opportunity after defeating the Legion since both factions' navies were decimated after the assault on the Broken Shore. The idea was to invade and occupy the tree to cause the Alliance's unity to fracture (if Stormwind decided to help the kaldorei reclaim their home, then the Gilneans would have an issue since Stormwind has practically done nothing to get Gilneas back).

She also wanted to kill Malfurion to kill the night elves' hope. Kill their hero, occupy their home... it would've been a huge blow. Saurfang did not kill Malfurion when he had the chance and let him get away. Sylvanas ordered the burning of the tree as a measure to kill hope instead.

That's pretty much the reasoning as told in the novella. It's not totally clear and doesn't make that much sense, but I didn't write it. lol
11/12/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Alium

Essentially without going into too much detail. Which you can find in various books, short stories, cinrmatics, etc.

The nelfs home was the biggest alliance port in kalimdor most of the azerite is showing up in sithilus. By destroying or capturing the nelfs home she has dominance over the continent.

I am not telling u every detail beyond that. Because there are many more details. But thats the short of it.

If u want the full story really check out all the books and short stories.

Just going to youtube and listening to the lengthy complete story videos will help fill in the blanks.